Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2. Member
    That is to allow retailers that currently sell e15 to sell it year round. Should not affect availability of e10 or pure gas.

3. Member
    Yes, exactly correct...EXCEPT...If a gas station fills 15% in its tanks, it isn't ALSO going to keep 10% Ethanol around.

One or the other, not both. According to the article, that is why 15% isn't being sold much already. Not at all good for boaters, IMHO.

4. Member
    With all the flooding in the west and low amount of corn growing I think prices may go crazy too.
    Praying for a Cure

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by richg99 View Post
    Yes, exactly correct...EXCEPT...If a gas station fills 15% in its tanks, it isn't ALSO going to keep 10% Ethanol around.

One or the other, not both. According to the article, that is why 15% isn't being sold much already. Not at all good for boaters, IMHO.

Several stations around me sell both E15, regular and E85.

What confuses me is if E15 is bad for the environment why are they pushing ethanol as a good thing and why is E85 sold year round?

6. Banned
    The hek with ethanol! I use 100% ethanol free gas.

Quote Originally Posted by Cerus View Post
    Several stations around me sell both E15, regular and E85.

What confuses me is if E15 is bad for the environment why are they pushing ethanol as a good thing and why is E85 sold year round?
    Because E15 and E85 have far more to do with the power of the farm lobbying groups to insure flow of money to corn farmers than it has to do with "saving" the environment.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

8. Member
    Three uses for corn
    Whiskey
    corn on the cob
    feed for my food

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hahn View Post
    Because E15 and E85 have far more to do with the power of the farm lobbying groups to insure flow of money to corn farmers than it has to do with "saving" the environment.
    Yep. And that's all it is.

10. Member

Figured as much. I also like how the article mentions E15 being “cheaper at the pump” but leaves out the fact that the “savings” isn’t a savings when you factor in the reduced gas mileage you get with higher ethanol fuels. All the tests I’ve seen actually show a substantial increase in fuel costs even with the lower price at the pump.

But the ignorant sheep happily fill up with high ethanol fuels and never bother to actually track their MPG and fuel costs. Pretty sure using more fuel to go the same distance puts even more pollutants into the air. But it’s corn so it must be good eh?

11. Member
    its not really cheaper in the long run by the time you figure corn prices go up an the govt give the farmers subsidies an cost more to produce an a crappy product to begin with.

In addition to not buying E15 or E85 (I’d like to also add E10, except many people don’t have access to pure gas), people should also refuse to buy flex fuel vehicles. If consumers let the Egas sit in the underground tanks and flex fuel vehicles rust away on car lots, maybe the powers that be will get the message.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

13. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by OhioChamp183 View Post
    The hek with ethanol! I use 100% ethanol free gas.
    Pure gas doesn't live around here.

14. Member
    I've found that pure gas can't be bought inside of most major cities. EPA strikes again

15. BBC SPONSOR
    I think the boating community needs to get on board more with these new fuel choices. Auto world has fully embraced e85, makes a lot more power. If boat builders and engine companies would put it into consideration and have motors, fuel lines, fuel tanks setup for ethanol fuel, we could be seeing some great numbers! The negative of e85 is worse fuel economy, but I would think the e15 might be a good compromise.
    Bob's Machine - Action Series Jack Plates - DeckPlugs - DeckSavers - QuickSlip - The Big D Trolling motor handle - Much more!
    www.bobsmachine.com

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve@BMS View Post
    I think the boating community needs to get on board more with these new fuel choices. Auto world has fully embraced e85, makes a lot more power. If boat builders and engine companies would put it into consideration and have motors, fuel lines, fuel tanks setup for ethanol fuel, we could be seeing some great numbers! The negative of e85 is worse fuel economy, but I would think the e15 might be a good compromise.
    My thoughts as well. Tired of this "it's bad for boats." Why doesn't the marine world fix those issues and allow us to run whatever fuel we want like a FlexFuel engine?!? It's inevitable, why fight it?
    Phoenix 721 - Yamaha SHO 250 - 8' Blades

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    The auto industry "embraced" E85 only because they receive EPA mileage credits for vehicles that are E85 compatible. Very few E85 compatible vehicles ever see a drop of E85 actually used. The E10 vs. E15 question is interesting because at the few stations I've seen selling E15 they are selling both E10 and E15. I'm Ok with E10 but generally use "pure gas" in my boat but in many areas of course it is not available and it costs me $3.95/gallon on the lake. Convenience has a price!
    2018 Ranger RT188 SC Black/115 hp Yamaha SHO 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - north
    2018 Ranger RT188 DC Black/115 hp Merc Pro XS 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - south
    14' Mirrorcraft tin boat (ancient) with a 9.9 Mercury 4-stroke, no electronics; catches fish anyway

18. Major Flagelator Gamblinman's Avatar
    In addition to not buying E15 or E85 (I’d like to also add E10, except many people don’t have access to pure gas), people should also refuse to buy flex fuel vehicles. If consumers let the Egas sit in the underground tanks and flex fuel vehicles rust away on car lots, maybe the powers that be will get the message.
    They never seem to get the message. Illegal aliens are a perfect example.
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

19. Banned
    A lot more power????? Ran it in my flex fuel Ford F150 one time. Ran like crap and milage went to nothing where is the gain if I am filling up (burning) twice as often? The corn growers make all the gain.

20. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by jarhead175 View Post
    A lot more power????? Ran it in my flex fuel Ford F150 one time. Ran like crap and milage went to nothing where is the gain if I am filling up (burning) twice as often? The corn growers make all the gain.
    Go to a race track and tell those guys. E85 is the 'poor mans race gas'. Cars that are setup for it and tuned specifically for it.

Stock pump gas : 570/513
    tuned on pump gas : 632/623
    E85 tuned : 662/656

Bob's Machine - Action Series Jack Plates - DeckPlugs - DeckSavers - QuickSlip - The Big D Trolling motor handle - Much more!
    www.bobsmachine.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast