What to do?? 2019 sho 225 making oil....

Just wondering. 2019 Yamaha sho 225. Has 5 hours on motor had to change oil after 3.5 hours because it made oil. Ran the crud out of it ( as hard as it would go 5600 to 59. Rpm)for a solid 20 mile run after last oil change. And it appears to sill be making oil. Love the power and the hole shot of the sho. but I think it’s crazy to pay $100 plus for an oil change every time it makes oil. Any one have any suggestions to help seal this motor up ? For you guys that have bought new sho how many times did you have to change the oil before it stop making oil?
    Chris
    2019 Skeeter zx 225

2. Member
    Are you running regular Yamaha oil or synthetic For break in regular seams to do a better job setting the rings .

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by skennedy View Post
    Are you running regular Yamaha oil or synthetic For break in regular seams to do a better job setting the rings .
    Only regular oil. But I been running ring free in every tank of gas. Wonder if should stop the ring free till after break in?
    Chris
    2019 Skeeter zx 225

4. Member
    Personally I don’t think 5600 will do it. I had to turn mine at 6000-6050 to get it hot enough to seat

5. Member
    I'm breaking in a new 200 SHO now. I did the first 3 1/2 hours "by the book" and sucked out a quart of excess oil (looked dirty but it didn't smell like fuel). Then I went out yesterday and ran the crap out of it wide open for over 3 hours (about 15 miles full throttle, then shutdown to cool off, and repeat and repeat, etc). I checked the oil and it's not up at all. Either the hard runs got it hot enough to burn off any fuel in the oil or I'm really hoping the rings got seated and I'm done....I should know if it makes oil the next time out if I drive it "normally" for a couple hours.

FYI: I'm at 2 3/4" PTP, 5900rpm...I will raise the motor a bit next time out to get over 6000....and BTW, this is my first 4 stroke and it seems like an AWESOME motor.

6. Member
    It will stop "making" oil at some point. Mine had the issue as well. I broke it in by the book and my dealer recommendations. I then made at least a 15 mile run with the peddle to the floor non-stop and also made sure every fishing trip I did the following. 1. Before stopping to fish I got the motor good and hot. 2. Made at least one run at or almost at full throttle if possible. After doing those things after the 2nd oil change the level went up to about 3/4 on the stick but has stayed there since. My motor currently has 122 hours and 45 hours after the 2nd oil change. Note, a couple of weeks ago I had my boat at the dealer for the 100 hour maintenance and my rpm read out I had most hours under 4000 rpm and a lot under 2500 as well.
    2021 Skeeter ZX225
    2021 Yamaha SHO 225 VF225LA

7. Member
    You need to be able to spin the motor to 5900-6100 rpm. I have had two 250 hp Yamaha SHO's first one I broke in by the book (yamaha's way) and it made oil like crazy. The second engine I broke in using Mercury's four stroke procedure. Using the Mercury procedure I have almost 15 hours on the engine and have not made oil! Mercury's break in has you run engine with a lot more rpm a lot sooner. I think that is the ticket from my personal experience.

8. Member
    What my dealer suggested:
    -No ring free for the first 10hrs
    -Hours 0-3, go by the book
    -Hours 3-10, revert to Youtube (aka run the crap out of it)

After hour 6, my motor stopped making oil. I had oil 1/4" above my top line on the dipstick. I continued to check the oil level and it never moved until i took it in for its 20hrs service.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by McQuaig View Post
    I'm breaking in a new 200 SHO now. I did the first 3 1/2 hours "by the book" and sucked out a quart of excess oil (looked dirty but it didn't smell like fuel). Then I went out yesterday and ran the crap out of it wide open for over 3 hours (about 15 miles full throttle, then shutdown to cool off, and repeat and repeat, etc). I checked the oil and it's not up at all. Either the hard runs got it hot enough to burn off any fuel in the oil or I'm really hoping the rings got seated and I'm done....I should know if it makes oil the next time out if I drive it "normally" for a couple hours.

FYI: I'm at 2 3/4" PTP, 5900rpm...I will raise the motor a bit next time out to get over 6000....and BTW, this is my first 4 stroke and it seems like an AWESOME motor.
    I have not checked the PTP, but i know it's set at seven holes on the Slidemaster jack plate. only able to turn it up to 5900 and it takes a good mile to hit this RPM, boat is fast out of the hole and jumps to 55MPH Quick. after 60MPH its a slow climb to hit 70MPH and 5900 RPM. perhaps i should raise the motor a few more holes on the jack plate?
    Chris
    2019 Skeeter zx 225

10. Member
    Stop the ring free! For maybe 100 hours.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir fishalot View Post
    Just wondering. 2019 Yamaha sho 225. Has 5 hours on motor had to change oil after 3.5 hours because it made oil. Ran the crud out of it ( as hard as it would go 5600 to 59. Rpm)for a solid 20 mile run after last oil change. And it appears to sill be making oil. Love the power and the hole shot of the sho. but I think it’s crazy to pay $100 plus for an oil change every time it makes oil. Any one have any suggestions to help seal this motor up ? For you guys that have bought new sho how many times did you have to change the oil before it stop making oil?
    Check your operating temp, should be in the 140 deg+ range. If not get the stats fixed. Throw the stupid Yamaha break in procedure book as far as you can. It DOES NOT WORK. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different outcome! As been proven by many new SHO owners. The engine needs to be loaded and run almost to the limiter to seat the rings. the sooner it is done the faster the break in and less glazing of the cylinder walls. I highly doubt the ring free has anything to do with the oil dilution problem. CJ
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.

12. Member
    Like I said above use the new Mercury four stroke break in procedure and you will be good to go!!

13. Member
    Mine only turns 58-5900 and that’s plenty just run the crap out of it non stop for a while. I ran about 20 miles then back twice so 80 miles how ever long that took never let out of it except turning around and it’s been good.
    2018 Bass Cat Caracal
    Yamaha 225 SHO