Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Really fighting the urge to buy a turning bike

Havent has my heritage very long but now that I have been riding it more and more I'm really fighting the urge to trade it in and buy a turning bike.
    Was really looking hard at a Street Glide but after doing some more looking yesterday at my dealer I'm having a hard time deciding between a street glide and a road glide.
    Really like a lot about both.

2. Member
    If you really want it for touring get the Road Glide.

3. Member
    if you mean touring, get a Road Glide Ultra or Electra Glide Ultra Limited. 2014-2016 Rushmore bikes are your best bets. new M8s are having too many problems.

we went for about a 2 hour ride yesterday cause the wife really hasn't been on for any longer than short 20 min trips or so to run out to eat and so on. so wanted to get her on for a little longer ride.
    was about an hour one way stop and get gas then head back home for another hour ride.
    she did fine but wasn't happy with the seat. my seat is the stock seat which is leather or vinal or whatever so she slides around some.
    the other thing is just the wind factor. we get a lot of wind on us. which I know is due to not having a windshield on it now. so im going to try and get one on and see how much that helps also.
    just really tough for me as much as I would like to buy a newer or new bike but man I don't know if I want to drop $20k on one just quite yet

5. Member
    You will like the windshield, just make sure you get the correct height. My Road King Special didn't have a windshield, I rode it for several months that way and then added a windshield, the difference was welcomed, less wind and bugs, just don't look as "cool" though.

6. Kansas Bass Club Moderator
    If your looking into a touring bike I recommend and Road glide. The true frame mounted fairing makes a world of difference over a handle bar mounted bat wing. Cross wind and head wind is not an issue on a glide. I’m seriously thinking about trading my 17 in for 114 inch glide blacked out with a stage 2 kit.

But just a windshield on your bike will make a huge difference.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    we went for about a 2 hour ride yesterday cause the wife really hasn't been on for any longer than short 20 min trips or so to run out to eat and so on. so wanted to get her on for a little longer ride.
    was about an hour one way stop and get gas then head back home for another hour ride.
    she did fine but wasn't happy with the seat. my seat is the stock seat which is leather or vinal or whatever so she slides around some.
    the other thing is just the wind factor. we get a lot of wind on us. which I know is due to not having a windshield on it now. so im going to try and get one on and see how much that helps also.
    just really tough for me as much as I would like to buy a newer or new bike but man I don't know if I want to drop $20k on one just quite yet
    Grab a windshield and look for a seat you like. Mustang, etc...make aftermarket seats for just about every situation.

Realize when you wrap the bike in fairings to block wind you are going to get hot in town. My Tri-Glide was a damn oven in summer city riding.

8. Member
    I'd try a windshield first and see how that goes. As said above, it will make a huge difference. I have friends that ride Softails and Road Kings long distances. I've done several 3,500 to 5,000 mile trips on my '04 Road King, some with my wife on board and some with her riding her Dyna Street Bob. I bought a new Ultra Classic in 2015 and went on a 5,100 mile trip with my wife riding her bike. (yes, she rode a Street Bob the entire trip and she loved it) The thing that surprised me was the difference in slow speed handling between the Road King and the Ultra. The King is much more agile below 10 MPH. I've been practicing drills from the "Ride Like a Pro" DVD which has helped me on the Ultra. Of course the Ultra blocks the wind a lot better then the King. I still like the King for weekend rides and could still go on long trips with it.

If I were you, I'd rent a couple of bikes for a day each before deciding to buy a new (or new to you) bike. That will help you decide better than a short test ride.

yea I have a buddy of mine that is giving me a windshield for my bike that came off of one of the Heritage models he has. he doesn't like the shield.
    my biggest thing is if it was just me riding I would be plenty happy with what I have. but with the wife liking to go as much as I do I want her to be comfortable as well. One thing she had brought up that she liked about the Glides is the Hard Bags. We sat on a couple bikes at the dealership this past Sat and she liked how the hard bags felt as her being the passenger, she said it made her feel more secure with them on there vs the soft bags I have on my bike. Granted I know I could buy hard bags and put on my Heritage but that's a lot of coin also and don't think its going to make it worth any more in the long run.

as far as the seat goes I think a seat from Mustang would help some also but I hate to drop $500 on a seat if Im going to trade the thing in, not like they will swap to the Glides.
    right now I have 2 bikes im kind of looking at, one 2013 Street glide in yellow that has 6600 miles on it has some upgrades like exhaust highway pegs, backrest, and luggage rack and apes which I like apes and have them on mine but these look too tall for me even. and they ar asking $16,9k which seems high to me.
    they also have a 2016 Road Glide Rushmore model that looks to be all stock other than highway pegs and that's it, its the Amber Whiskey color which I love also. and they are asking $18,9K for it. which seems to be about right.

10. Member
    The Amber Whiskey is one of the best factory colors HD has ever offered, in the bright sun it really pops, one of my favorites.

11. Kansas Bass Club Moderator
    My wife and I ride my Fatboy to Arkansas a half doezen times and to South Dakota probably 4 times and I rode it solo to Colorado and Utah. I had the hard road king bags on it. However I’d never go back after the road glide. The ride and handling is superior to the softail.

If i were to buy a late model I would go with the Milwaukee 8. When I bought mine 2 years ago I test road a new 2016 with the 103 twin cam and then road the 2017 M8 back. At idle my mind was made up the M8 was the one. Almost zero vibration at idle and the new M8 engine had way more torque and just felt like a complete different bike. Crack open the throttle and there is a world of difference.

I bet if you shop shop around you could find a 2017 for about the same money. I’d let mine go for 19k maybe. All stock with a few add ons. Both recalls done.

12. Kansas Bass Club Moderator
    Actually Luke there are several 2017 and 2018 road glides in St. Louis Craigslist for 18k. Low miles too.

I was thinking of going to the M8 but have been hearing a lot about some issues with them so im going to hold off for a bit I think..at least for now

14. Kansas Bass Club Moderator
    Zero issues with the M8. At least from everyone I know that has them. They’ve had 2 recalls minor ones both on the 17’s. I’ve got a touch over 12k on mine since bought new with no issues. Last year we did two trips each over 3k miles each. With one trip in extreme heat 105-108 ambient temps. Hard on us but the bike never missed a beat with the cruise set at 80 on the hiway.

The problems people are having is shade tree mechanics doing engine mods not knowing what they are doing. And of course none of that is under warranty unless done by an authorized dealer. So when HD doesn’t honor the warranty those guys start the rumor mills.

And I’m sure there are those that’s had some issues but like any new vehicle some are bound to have problems. But overall it’s the best engine HD has put out. I thought the Evo was the bomb and it still is a great motor. I remember when the 1st generation twinkies came out. Now those had some problems but once the recalls were done they were fine.

15. Member
    I have 4k on my M8, no issues so far, there's a clutch recall that I've been waiting to get fixed until my next service is due.

Have found 2 bikes somewhat local. Gails HD in KC both are 2014 Street Glides and Rushmore models so they have my interest peaked a little.
    one has 55k on it and one has 39k on it.

Well the 2 bikes that I did find had been sold already so no biggie.
    we are looking now at 4 different bikes a 2016 Road Glide and 3 different Street Glides all the SG have the M8 in them.
    will have to take them for a spin here in the next week or so. and hopefully that will be the deciding factor then.

18. Member
    I wanted a Street Glide when I bought my RK, the salesman suggested since it was my first street ride to get the RK since it didn't have a fairing it would be easier to see and concentrate on the road. I had been thinking about getting a Softail Deluxe for local quick rides but now I'm leaning towards putting taller apes on the RK and getting a Street Glide for longer rides.

19. Skeeter Boats/Missouri Club Moderator Rodney Bledsoe's Avatar
    Dang Luke wish I would have know you wanted to step up....... My brother had a 2014 Ultra Classic for sale 17,000 miles on it. He gave it away to get rid of it.
    You should be able to find a HD for a cheap price if your patient. The market is flooded with them.

I know HD has brain washed most people that they are the "only" brand to own. I have became very fond of the Indian Roadmaster.
    It's more American made than HD. Problem is the unavailability to find a used one for a good price. The market isn't flooded with them.
    That 111 Thunderstroke motor is a beast. There is also a 116 upgrade for that motor. I bought mine 1 year ago and have over 18,000 on it.

20. Member
    What was the give away price on that Ultra if you don't mind saying.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast