Thread: Transom Wedges

Transom Wedges

I asked about this over on the Phoenix board without much response. But, I run a 21PHX 250 Merc 4s. Boat runs good. I live at high altitude (above 5000ft), so my struggle is a little different that others. I do travel alot and get to run on lower elevation lakes. The boat runs 73 pretty easy. I have seen 74. Which is plenty acceptable. Now, where I live 65 maybe 66. I have been playing with props and think I have that all ironed out.

One thing that I have noticed at home and at low elevation is that I can never over trim. In other words, the boat is the fastest at absolutely Max trim. If I bump down even one bump I loose speed. On other boats I had, Max speed was always one or two bumps down. Do you guys think that I could benefit from some transom wedges? Or have you had any experience with them to gain a little more trim?

2. Member
    I run wedges on a 198 Champion, 225 Optimax. A lot Champion owners use them with Merc's. I can't say if a Phoenix needs them. As you have noted, I run full trim, then bump down one for max speed. Easiest way to find out, run some trim extenders. If they help, then add the wedges and remove the trim extenders.

Yes, the trim extenders did/do help my setup. 2 maybe 3mph on a good day and added bow left.
    Last edited by Ed R; 06-10-2019 at 07:06 AM.
    Ed R.

2006 ChampioN 198 225 Optimax

3. Member
    Are you getting bow lift now? Do you have a good hole shot now?

4. Member
    Thanks for the response guys! I answered my own question. Installed some 5deg transom wedges today. Ran the boat, and it definitely did need extra trim. Picked up a couple mph. Lifts alot better. Max speed is a couple bumps down on the trim lever. Now I think I need to go one pitch up on prop because it's running right at the rev limiter.

5. Member
    You are probably OK with the prop you have. As the weather warms you will lose some RPMs. If you fish with a partner, or tournament load you will also lose RPM.
    Ed R.

2006 ChampioN 198 225 Optimax

I am much more inclined to think you needed the right guy to rework your prop of a different prop, On a bird you should not need wedges or full trim up
    Curious as to the height of the rooster tail now when running flat out and trimmed up, if it is still low. this may have been the right thing to do
    How is the chine walk now and torque steer
    However I have no experience with the four strokes
    Thank You Leon Pugh

7. Member
    So you put wedges on for more trim and now you have to bump it down from full trim so what did you gain?

8. Pat Goff
    Sometimes a little more is what you need. I ran trim extenders on my 203 Champs, without wasn't enough, with was a bit much. Mercs don't have the same trim range that rudes and yamaha's have, so if you need it, there it is.
    Pat Goff

Two degrees from center
    of nowhere.
    Smithwick TX.

[SIGPIC][<a href=http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=583&dateline=1498828542/SIGPIC] target=_blank>http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?t...828542/SIGPIC]</a>

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mdtritn21 View Post
    So you put wedges on for more trim and now you have to bump it down from full trim so what did you gain?
    As stated...A couple mph.