Rubbing compound or sand?

My 06 Ranger (blue/silver) has a fairly small area that needs brightening up from the sun. Looks like the previous owner’s boat cover didn’t cover the very back of the boat or something because the rest of the boat looks great. It’s dull and it’s slightly rough when you rub your hand across it.

Before attempting the wet sanding and buffer described on this forum I wanted to ask if using a rubbing compound might work. I’m a little hesitant to do anything because I don’t want to mess it up.

Nope
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

3. Banned
    Do yourself a favor and buy this compound
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Get yourself a buffer and wool pad. Set it to 1500 to be safe. Dont stay in one spot too long. start with a 12in x12in section and go back and forth., dont forget to spur your pad, clean it. See for yourself how it turns out. If you're happy proceed with the next step, 3m makes polish also for boats. Polish with a black foam pad. If you dont get the results you're looking for wax and grease and sand and repeat.

Im going to post a video next week. Im doing my fenders on a 1998 Basscat. Its so dull theres NO shine at all. That way you can see how it turns out.

4. Member
    Thanks, look fwd to seeing it.

Quote Originally Posted by g352nv View Post
    Do yourself a favor and buy this compound
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Get yourself a buffer and wool pad. Set it to 1500 to be safe. Dont stay in one spot too long. start with a 12in x12in section and go back and forth., dont forget to spur your pad, clean it. See for yourself how it turns out. If you're happy proceed with the next step, 3m makes polish also for boats. Polish with a black foam pad. If you dont get the results you're looking for wax and grease and sand and repeat.

Im going to post a video next week. Im doing my fenders on a 1998 Basscat. Its so dull theres NO shine at all. That way you can see how it turns out.

5. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by country angler View Post
    Thanks, look fwd to seeing it.
    Cool, it will look beautiful as white can get lol.

6. Banned
    I wasnt going to post in these threads because I know Crank is king around here. But a reply like "nope" with no advice isnt fair to this section. Give the guys some advice, where to start. Dawn dish soap first. What grit to start with, soap and water in a spray bottle, What pad, what compound and polish. I thought this section was to help people?

7. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    Don't waste your time with rubbing compounds or some other products that will look good when you do it but after a month or so back to where you where to begin with. Wash the area with dawn then get some wet sand paper I started with 800 grit and went up to 2000 keeping the area wet and paper while doing it, then get a buffer and a pro-tec kit it has everything you need to finish it up and can watch you tube videos also easy peasy even for someone with no experience take it from me. You might be scared to try but it will work out
    1990 374V Ranger Still kickin' bass after all these years

8. Member
    Thanks!

I wasnt going to post in these threads because I know Crank is king around here. But a reply like "nope" with no advice isnt fair to this section. Give the guys some advice, where to start. Dawn dish soap first. What grit to start with, soap and water in a spray bottle, What pad, what compound and polish. I thought this section was to help people?
    I’m not king and don’t wanna be. I answered the question that was ask. I don’t give info on anything without at least pics and in most cases it takes a phone call. It does no good to give info that “may” not work, waste money or time and create more work later.
    www.ncboatguy.com

10. Tony C
    Hey crank68, if the post is lacking info on the question, just pass on by?
    From what i gather, you do great work. Most of us are new to sanding and such.
    Just my two cents, don’t take it wrong.
    Ranger Z21/Yamaha HPDI 250

Not taking anything wrong. I just answered a question and because most are new to sanding and buffing that’s why I continue to just answer or say “pics are needed to give good usable info”.
    www.ncboatguy.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tonyc View Post
    Hey crank68, if the post is lacking info on the question, just pass on by?
    From what i gather, you do great work. Most of us are new to sanding and such.
    Just my two cents, don’t take it wrong.
    I don't think Ted said info was missing, the man asked a question and Ted answered it. Maybe you should "just pass on by"!!
    David Blanton

Anglers Choice Pro Staff
    Stratos 201XLE
    Tournament Director / Warriors on the Water

13. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by crank68 View Post
    I’m not king and don’t wanna be. I answered the question that was ask. I don’t give info on anything without at least pics and in most cases it takes a phone call. It does no good to give info that “may” not work, waste money or time and create more work later.
    That's cool, I remember years ago people posting in here and there's two ways to do this. Start with compound and why not see how it goes? Why take off more material if you don't have to?

I'm just offering another perspective and suggestion is all. I'll make the vid and I'll show it start to finish. My fenders are BAD no shine at all. Then next month I'll post a pic showing how it's lasted or not lasted. We'll see how it goes.

You do nice work.

14. Tony C
    Dk239,
    You are right, my bad. I apologize to all concerned.
    My hope is we, who love this sport can help each other. Wasn’t trying to start anything.
    God Bless
    Ranger Z21/Yamaha HPDI 250

That's cool, I remember years ago people posting in here and there's two ways to do this. Start with compound and why not see how it goes? Why take off more material if you don't have to?

I'm just offering another perspective and suggestion is all. I'll make the vid and I'll show it start to finish. My fenders are BAD no shine at all. Then next month I'll post a pic showing how it's lasted or not lasted. We'll see how it goes.

You do nice work.
    I’m not questioning what you’re doing and you don’t have to prove anything to me. Like I’ve said I’ve restored the finish on 100s of boats for individuals and dealership and they pay good money for that service. I stay booked 2-4 months out year round. Have you used your preferred method on 100s of boats? Have you thought about what results satisfies you may not work for my business..I have no clue.? Your method may work occasionally. Every boat I touch needs something different. I still don’t understand how suggestions are made without at least pics. What you don’t see or hear...in most cases a lot of the folks that ask questions here wind up calling or texting with me and I do try to walk them through the entire process. On some of you’re other threads you work looks great. I don’t question your gel shooting or other wise. Just make whatever suggestions you want and I’ll do the same....no harm no foul.
    www.ncboatguy.com

16. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by crank68 View Post
    I’m not questioning what you’re doing and you don’t have to prove anything to me. Like I’ve said I’ve restored the finish on 100s of boats for individuals and dealership and they pay good money for that service. I stay booked 2-4 months out year round. Have you used your preferred method on 100s of boats? Have you thought about what results satisfies you may not work for my business..I have no clue.? Your method may work occasionally. Every boat I touch needs something different. I still don’t understand how suggestions are made without at least pics. What you don’t see or hear...in most cases a lot of the folks that ask questions here wind up calling or texting with me and I do try to walk them through the entire process. On some of you’re other threads you work looks great. I don’t question your gel shooting or other wise. Just make whatever suggestions you want and I’ll do the same....no harm no foul.
    I owned a body shop for 11 years so yeah Ive done my share of cutting a buffing. I havent done hundreds of boats but Ive done my share and everyone has been happy. Yes I have high standards, Ive built SEMA cars start to finish except for interior work.

Your right the more help the better for people. Thats what I was saying also. Have a good day.