recipe for brisket on the bge

I plan to cook a brisket flat on my egg tomorrow. I have a great recipe for the large portion of a brisket, but the flat always seems to fall quite short on taste and texture for me...I cut the large/thick portion off this time and want to cook the flat separately tomorrow. Any help would be greatly appreciated...

2. Banned
    Well...what did you come up with?

3. Member
    Hey Clif! I guess maybe everyone misunderstood my thread. I have not gotten any replies other than yours asking how I did....I was asking for recipes for cooking the flat portion of a brisket on the egg. I winged it on my own and it was "ok" at best...cooked it low and slow after marinading overnight in frig...it went from 10 am til 5 pm at about 180...then got it up to 225 for a bit to bring the internal up to 190...wrapped in foil for a while in a cooler and ate it at about 6:30pm...great flavor...but no so good on texture...not tough...but not tender either....kind of "dense" in a sense...if that makes sense...

4. Member
    I normally will not pull one untill it is between 200- 205 then wrap it

5. Banned
    I've only done just a flat solo once. I just went till it poked with a toothpick easy all over. Short uncovered rest while rest of dinner was set. Sliced and ate, was decent. I've seen lots of people talk about putting them in beef broth in a pan. I just stick to the whole packers myself. If you do a flat might as well just buy a chuck roast and slice it up. Cheap too.

6. Member
    ive done some homework on the brisket.... you dont need to separate the flat from the point... a lot of it depends on how well its trimmed (and not too much)

most guy will shoot for a 225-275 cook temp and wrap at IT of 160 for the rest of the cook. or when you got a nice bark.

From 160 and on this is where a lot of people mess up... (myself included) I went with internal temp and pulled the brisket at 202 (with 1 hr sit time wrapped) it was dried out....

once you wrap it you can still monitor IT but go by feel / tenderness NOT by just the internal temp.... your probe should poke through it like butter...

once its done leave it wrapped and let it rest for a solid hour if you can. only cut it when your ready to serve.
    2004 Ranger Reata 180vs 8" rapid jack magnum CCM reeds 21P tempest plus- 2005 150 optimax 1B044209

7. Member
    I tried to cook the flat separate cause it always seems to be discarded when I cook the whole thing at once...thanks for all input!

If it doesn’t work out well don’t toss it! Chili, tacos, and stew are all good. I’ve salvaged a couple or three that way over the years. I also agree with getting a whole packer trim. Choice rather than select. Never wanted to spend the $ on a prime. I want a fat cap on it and don’t trim much off unless it’s excessive. I usually do a decent job of picking ones that don’t have so much that I need to start cutting.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Clif Kincaid View Post
    I've only done just a flat solo once. I just went till it poked with a toothpick easy all over. Short uncovered rest while rest of dinner was set. Sliced and ate, was decent. I've seen lots of people talk about putting them in beef broth in a pan. I just stick to the whole packers myself. If you do a flat might as well just buy a chuck roast and slice it up. Cheap too.
    A smoked chuck roast or shoulder roast is pretty dam good.... For the price they're hard to beat.