Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2012 Nitro z7 Performance NOT GOOD! Help??

Hey guys,

I have a 2012 Nitro z7 with a 150 pro xs. The speed of my boat is not very good at all. Hole shot is good, motor sounds like its running perfectly, but top end with tournament load is only in the mid 40s and it struggles to get to 4900/5000 rpm wot. I know some of these hulls are known for a hook, but when I look at the hull it does not appear to be hooked. Other information is that motor is mounted on the second hole from the top and came with a 24p fury prop. Would I be able to get more by raising the motor a hole and going to a 23 tempest or something similar? Or...does this sound like more of a motor/hull problem with the slow top end speed?

Take all your gear out of the bow, don't take any water in the livewell, never fill the gas tank full. Then go run it wide ope, and trim it up till the point it doesn't trim up any more. Then report back your findings
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

3. Member
    24p fury is too much for z7 with 150. 23p tempest plus and if you don’t have a jackplate I’d get one. 6” would be good

4. Team Catfish Original hatcreek's Avatar
    4900 to 5000 rpm @ WOT...

Is the boat equipped with a hotfoot?

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=984271
    Who controls John Gill?

5. Member
    No, no hotfoot, just traditional hand throttle. The motor is mounted on the second hole from the top as well, so Ive been reading that I may need to move the motor to the third hole down from the top as well.

6. Member
    You need to change props before you do anything. A 150 on that hull can't turn a 24
    2015 Nitro Z-7 175 Pro XS

Agree, a 24p Fury is way too much, equivalent to a 25p Tempest. Should be running a 23p Tempest to get RPMS back.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Loperbass View Post
    No, no hotfoot, just traditional hand throttle. The motor is mounted on the second hole from the top as well, so Ive been reading that I may need to move the motor to the third hole down from the top as well.
    So what exactly is your prop to pad measurement? No sense moving the motor until you know your exact configuration. And, I agree with others - that 24 Fury is too much for the 150.

9. Member
    My Z7 has a Mercury 150 Pro XS, 23" Tempest plus with med plugs, NO jackplate, engine mounted in hole 3 of 5.....runs 5700 rpm and 58mph.

10. Member
    BEFORE you start messing with setup. You need to properly diagnose the motor. Make sure everything is in order on motor and running properly. A single ignition coil will lower RPM, or a bad spark plug.
    I agree the 23p tempest is best for that boat. But always start with AIR / FUEL / SPARK when RPM is off that much. You may find your self chasing the tail of the SET UP monkey all along having a bad ignition coil.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Silas79 View Post
    BEFORE you start messing with setup. You need to properly diagnose the motor. Make sure everything is in order on motor and running properly. A single ignition coil will lower RPM, or a bad spark plug.
    I agree the 23p tempest is best for that boat. But always start with AIR / FUEL / SPARK when RPM is off that much. You may find your self chasing the tail of the SET UP monkey all along having a bad ignition coil.
    100% agree here. Make sure you don't have a fouled spark plug. I'd say that is the most common culprit for low RPM's. Rule out engine issues before you go to setup. That said, I also agree your boat should run better w/ a 23P.

I realize this is an old thread but, I also have a Z7 with a 24P Tempest prop. My speed is much better than the OP but, still only about 57 MPH at about 5300 RPM. I will be going to a 23P Tempest soon but, my questions is..................If the 23P Tempest is really the right prop for this combo like so many advise, why did Tracker deliver most, if not all, of the Z7s with the 24P?

13. Member
    Hey guys,

I have a 2012 Nitro z7 with a 150 pro xs. The speed of my boat is not very good at all. Hole shot is good, motor sounds like its running perfectly, but top end with tournament load is only in the mid 40s and it struggles to get to 4900/5000 rpm wot. I know some of these hulls are known for a hook, but when I look at the hull it does not appear to be hooked. Other information is that motor is mounted on the second hole from the top and came with a 24p fury prop. Would I be able to get more by raising the motor a hole and going to a 23 tempest or something similar? Or...does this sound like more of a motor/hull problem with the slow top end speed?
    Has it always been this way, or just start??
    Holeshot good! But only 4900~5k. I would say your down on a cylinder. Hope not! Could be a coil.
    24p is to big IMO, but not enough to drop R's that much I would think, unless RPM gauge is off.

14. Member
    Im assuming you have a hooked hull?
    Phil 4:19 2018 Nitro Z19, 200Pro Xs, Lowrance, Minnkota

Quote Originally Posted by Rkammer View Post
    I realize this is an old thread but, I also have a Z7 with a 24P Tempest prop. My speed is much better than the OP but, still only about 57 MPH at about 5300 RPM. I will be going to a 23P Tempest soon but, my questions is..................If the 23P Tempest is really the right prop for this combo like so many advise, why did Tracker deliver most, if not all, of the Z7s with the 24P?
    I never understood why they shipped some with different props , I assume that is the dealer requesting it. The OP had a 24p Fury, that is equivalent to a 25p Tempest.

U will gain better holeshot and more RPMs and still be in the power band with a 23p Tempest.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

16. Member
    Hey guys,

did you ever resolve this? i have a 2010 that i purchased a year ago that has the same symptoms as yours since i bought it. i have 23P tempest and a 6 inch jackplate already installed. Also it appears there was a hot foot installed at one time on mine but no longer there

I never updated my post after installing the 23P Tempest Plus prop to replace the 24P installed at the factory. It's definitely the right prop for my Z7. It now has a much better hole shot and will get to 60 MPH GPS with a very light load at about 5800 RPM. By "light load" I mean only me aboard, no water in the live wells and only about 1/2 tank of gas. With a full tournament load and two aboard it still goes 58+. I have an adjustable Jack plate and the motor is about 6 inches up. Fooling with the jack plate while running makes very little difference.
    Ray K.
    Mount Dora, FL

2012 Nitro Z7
    150 Merc Pro Xs
    Atlas Hydraulic JP
    Power Pole 10 ft Blades
    Minn Kota Ulterra 80 lb.
    Dual Consoles
    Lowrance HDS 8 & 5

[IMG][/IMG]

18. Member
    23P Tempest is the prop to have, 3" PTP, light load, usually by myself I can touch 60. Heavier load in the rear with tackle, jigs and soft plastics, balance the weight best you can, I have 1 PP. My boat had a hook in the hull which was a defect in these boats. I maxed 52 mph with the hook. Once the hook got fixed, she is free up to 60.
    Kyle

2010 Nitro Z-7

PB: 11 lbs, 1 oz

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magfluker View Post
    23P Tempest is the prop to have, 3" PTP, light load, usually by myself I can touch 60. Heavier load in the rear with tackle, jigs and soft plastics, balance the weight best you can, I have 1 PP. My boat had a hook in the hull which was a defect in these boats. I maxed 52 mph with the hook. Once the hook got fixed, she is free up to 60.
    How and who fixed the hull? I'm in North Carolina also. I have a 2010 Z7, 150 Optimax, 24p Tempest, no jack plate. I feel that it's a push to get 55-56 mph. I have not checked for a hooked hull; but I will after reading these post. Did you just use a straight edge of some form? I would like to feel I could get a little better top end when needed. Otherwise; this has been a great boat for me.

20. Member
    I am also curious as to how and who fixed your hook. I have the same issue. Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast