225 can’t be fixed???

I recently bought a 2004 Merc 225 four stroke (0T908749). I took it out three times and it ran great but quit at the end of the third day and wouldn’t start back. I took it to a local mechanic with 25 yrs experience seven weeks ago. They replaced the fuel pump, crankshaft seal, oil pump, and did regular service. They got it running but said it wasn’t running good and my bill was up to $4,400. I’m mechanically inclined and normally do all my maintenance other than the big jobs. I got a phone call yesterday and they told me they gave up, I can come get it next week. My question is, should I be responsible for the entire bill and labor since it is not running? I can understand paying for the regular servicing and the crankshaft seal/oil pump, and fuel pump but I don’t feel like I should pay for the rest of the troubleshooting or part swapping they’ve done since it’s still broke. How does this work??
    2014 Z8
    Pro XS 25
    Fortrex 112
    Humminbird 999SI/859DI

2. Banned
    Sounds like they were throwing parts at it instead of troubleshooting for the root cause. I'd personally have a problem with the bill. They should have admitted early on that it was above their ability.

I remember that motor. Pre Verado. We called them YamMercs or Mercahas because Merc was using Yamaha engines to slowly merge their 4 stroke engines. Would come in the same metal crates as Yamahas! Good luck with that. I would not pay the entire bill either.

Joe Perez
    Boatless white trash

If u authorize them to fix it within the amount of $$ you told them then yes. But if they were throwing Parts at it trying to get it fixed then no I would not pay the bill

If its junk, tell em to keep the engine for their time and get a new one

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 21xTriton05 View Post
    If its junk, tell em to keep the engine for their time and get a new one
    this...

7. Fishing is a Passion
    No way this mechanic had 25yrs experience
    2002 Pro Craft 200 Super Pro- 2005 200 Mercury Optimax, Retired
    Empty Nester- Proud Grandfather 5-30-2014-Boy-Aiden, 8-2-2017-Boy-Calen

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyO View Post
    No way this mechanic had 25yrs experience
    Im not sure what to think about the situation. I was told he had 25 years experience and they’ve never sent a bout out that wasn’t fixed. Although, I have since picked my boat up and they decided not to charge me for even one hours labor and they’ve spent countless hours on it. I can’t complain about it too much anymore. I hauled it back home five hours and took it to my local mechanic who I am very confident in. I’ll try to remember to follow up with the outcome.
    2014 Z8
    Pro XS 25
    Fortrex 112
    Humminbird 999SI/859DI

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kimbrell224 View Post
    Im not sure what to think about the situation. I was told he had 25 years experience and they’ve never sent a bout out that wasn’t fixed. Although, I have since picked my boat up and they decided not to charge me for even one hours labor and they’ve spent countless hours on it. I can’t complain about it too much anymore. I hauled it back home five hours and took it to my local mechanic who I am very confident in. I’ll try to remember to follow up with the outcome.
    Well, even though they didn't fix it, it might be worth at least giving this guy a review on his site -- that is some integrity right there...and maybe send the guy a gift cert for a pizza or case of beer or a steak dinner or something....
    2016 Ranger 1850 LS Reata / Merc 150 4s / SmartCraft / Lowrance HDS Carbon SS3D

^^^THIS^^^

Sold a 12,000.00 boat on consignment to guy taking to Boston. After Water test, I fixed some things no charge that would've added up close to 500.00. I get a ice pack from Legal's Sea Food with lobster dinner for two including clam chowder and cole slaw
    Last edited by rocketman6965; 06-07-2019 at 01:39 PM.

Joe Perez
    Boatless white trash

11. Fishing is a Passion
    Quote Originally Posted by kimbrell224 View Post
    Glad it worked out for you, hope you find the problem and get it fixed
    2002 Pro Craft 200 Super Pro- 2005 200 Mercury Optimax, Retired
    Empty Nester- Proud Grandfather 5-30-2014-Boy-Aiden, 8-2-2017-Boy-Calen

12. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Be sure to post back- but get the basics checked (compression, spark, timing, fuel quality, delivery and pressure.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor