Please Help! 98 Force (Powered By MERC) 120 ELPT

Admin. Delete if not allowed. Looking for outboard help!

Need help, if anyone can help me.
    I got a 20” Force 120 (1998) ELPT
    OE311593 (Serial)
    I bought the boat and motor and the prior owner told me the lower was bad- ok no biggie.. harder to find but I’ll get one.
    Dealt with a guy I’ve used before 4 hours from me (one way). I drive up there. Give him my old and pick up a rebuilt lower- he says it’s from a MERC but will work with Force. Ok I trust him. He’s done this before. I bring it home. Slap it on. Nothing.
    Noticed that my old lower had the 45* cut where the tab went signaling I had a 6 jaw reverse clutch. This lower is straight cut signaling a 3 jaw.
    Call my guy, he said (enter word here). I’m sorry I’ve done this once before, bring it back up I’ll exchange with a 6 jaw. Ok, I go back up (another day off work wasted, but I’m getting the boat done well worth it right. Wrong!)

Get home with a 45* cut 6 jaw reverse clutch lower. For the life of me I cannot get it into all three positions. Only forward and neutral. I tried everything! Not my first time around boats.

Back on the phone with my guy who’s 4 hours away, he said I just got a 98 in ELPT and it’s a straight cut lower.

My question. Did I get the wrong lower when I bought the boat. Was I suppose to have a 3 jaw and not a 6.

My problem is this. My shift shaft turns let’s say 1/8” to go into gear. The 6jaw lower I have 45* cut at the tab goes 1/4” to get into gear. My shifter isn’t throwing enough.
    Could I have possibly got the wrong lower and the old owner didn’t know the 3 vs 6 and that’s why forward gear was chewed to shit when I got it? I tore my original Lowe I got apart and forward brass all torn up.

Bass starts in two weeks here in NY. Can’t afford another 8 hour round trip, day off of work and gas $$ for something that isn’t going to work.... I’m debating on getting my money back from my guy and selling my force needing a lower (it runs so smooth though) and repowering In a month or so when I raise the funds up. Any help?! Thanks!
    '89 Bass Tracker 1800FS
    Minnkota Powerdrive
    Evinrude Pro Series 110

2. Member
    if you have a 6 jaw case you have to use matching upper shaft assembly
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................