Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Motorguide Xi5 Keeps Trying to Update With Lowrance

I have an Xi5 that had the main control board replaced a few months ago to address a problem I had where the motor would not shut off when stowed. The motor is connected via the gateway and NMEA 2000 to a Lowrance HDS 9 Gen 3 running 7.0 software. Whenever I power up the HDS it says "trolling motor update required", but when I say OK, then nothing happens. Shortly after this the Xi5 loses GPS and then does not work - from the HDS or from the remote (manual functions work, but no nav or anchor, etc.). If I disconnect the motor from the network and restart the motor is fine stand alone. As soon as I connect to the NMEA network, the cycle happens again. I can repeat the issue - I have tried many times to get the update to take, nothing works.

I called Motorguide several times and they are claiming it is the NMEA network (which it is not) or the Lowrance (which worked just fine before I had the main board replaced in the Xi5).

Has anyone else had a problem with the Motorguide and Lowrance stuck in a broken update loop? Any thoughts on how to fix? Motorguide wants me to update the Lowrance units to 18.2, but I am reluctant to do that because of the issues I have heard of with that release.

Thanks.

2. Member
    I updated one of my HDS Gen3 units to 18.2 today. Exactly the same result with the Motorguide wanting to update, but failing to do so. If I could just ignore the update request and move on I would not be as annoyed, but the trolling motor control through the Lowrance unit is not working regardless of how I answer the popup request to update.

I'm going to call Motorguide in the morning again, but I am not optimistic about the outcome.

3. Member
    Not sure if it will make any difference on your results, but below are the software update instructions Lowrance included in the release notes when the XI5 was first released.

Updating Xi5 software
    1. After all HDS units on the network have been updated to the
    latest software version, power down all HDS units and the NMEA
    2000 network.
    2. With the Xi5 trolling motor in the deployed position, power on
    the trolling motor. Make sure the Xi5 has a GPS lock (blue GPS
    light will be lit on the trolling motor).
    3. Power on the NMEA 2000 network and at least one networked
    HDS unit. A software update prompt will appear on the HDS
    unit if Xi5 software needs to be updated.
    4. Press OK to update Xi5 software.
    Warning: After pressing OK, you cannot stop the
    update process. Stopping the update may damage
    your trolling motor.
    Note: If you select Close on the Trolling motor update dialog,
    you will not be prompted to update Xi5 software until the HDS
    unit is powered on again.

5. After starting the software update, you are prompted to power
    down the trolling motor for five seconds and then reapply
    power.
    6. A Trolling motor update dialog appears confirming Update 1 is
    underway.
    7. Update 2 will begin after Update 1 is completed.
    Note: Only power down the trolling motor when prompted to
    do so.

8. During Update 2, you may be prompted to power down the
    trolling motor for five seconds and then reapply power.
    9. Once the updates are complete, a dialog appears confirming
    the trolling motor update is complete. Press OK.
    10. Power off the HDS unit, NMEA 2000 network and the Xi5 trolling
    motor.

IMPORTANT: Only remove power from the trolling motor and not
    from the HDS unit performing the update or the NMEA 2000®
    network. The power cycle (on/off) of the trolling motor is what
    starts the update. The HDS and the NMEA 2000 network need to
    remain powered on to begin loading the software when the motor
    powers on.

Trolling motor controls should be visible on the System Controls
    dialog and on the Settings menu.
    Note: If trolling motor features are not automatically enabled,
    you can enable them from the System settings Advanced
    menu. Refer to your operation manual for information on
    enabling features.
    Last edited by mak747; 06-02-2019 at 09:40 PM.

4. Member
    Funny enough (well, not funny, annoying) mine just started doing the same exact thing.

Even with everything else on the NMEA network turned off, it still will not get a GPS lock when turned on and connected to the network. disconnect it and restart it and it works fine standalone.

Have you made any progress with MG? Mine has been working great for months with no issues at all until this happened this weekend.

I have tried hard resetting the MG too and that did not work.

5. Member
    I had an XI% that had GPS issues and I called MG and they sent me a Dunkel with a connector to reboot the troll motor board and GPS. The GPS would not lock on SAT. Did the update and it work as it was suppose to. This download is a one time deal and has to be sent back to Motor Guide.

6. Member
    Took it to the local service center this morning. They claimed they could not test it on a Nmea network and that if it functioned properly while not connected to a network then it was a network issue. Well, it functions fine when not plugged in to the network.

Nothing on my network has changed in months. Only thing I have done is update the Ti2 to 19.1 and a it worked fine after that until this past weekend.

Guess I will call MG but not hopeful they will do anything.

Cannot wait to see what Lowrance comes out with this fall.

7. Member
    I have not gotten anywhere with MG. I did spend about an hour and a half on the phone with Lowrance and while I don't think they were able to really help, I do give the guy credit for trying to listen to me and suggest different things like power up sequences, etc. That is more than MG would do, they simply claim it is a Lowrance problem or network problem because the motor works OK stand alone. The thing is that the only part that has changed in the last year is the MG main board, everything else is constant.

I am going to triple check my NMEA voltage at the MG gateway and I am going to try powering up motor, then NMEA and Lowrance last (suggestion from Lowrance, I am doubtful, but cannot hurt at this point). It is going to be a few days before I try it, I have my kids new playset half constructed and that is my current priority.

Have MG send an update dongle to you.

9. Member
    Bloodman - I would love to have MG send me an update dongle. I have called 5 times now and they will not acknowledge that it is the motor, they insist on everything else but their part.

10. Member
    Not to dis credit anyone here, but the fact that you updated your Lowrance to 19.1 may be on to something even though it worked for a short period of time after the update. I would be curious to find out if you went back to the previous version of the Lowrance unit if it would go back to working. I had some issues with Lowrance updates in the pass.

11. Member
    Mark me down for this issue with my Xi5 as well - after the 18.3 update for Carbons. However I have not been able to regularly reproduce the "Update" alert on my HDS units - it seems to pop up about 30% of the time (I tired in the driveway last night but couldn't get the alert to pop up). After attempting the update several times (on the water) and having the Xi5 simply lock up - I have just continued to Skip the update - and haven't had any significant issues doing so. I would like to update it if possible - and like others can't wait to see what other new TMs are on the horizon.

Good luck.

-Jonathan
    Jonathan Adkins
    2022 Nitro Z21xl 250 ProXS4S
    HDSLive12s/Ghost/AT2/G360

12. Member
    To clarify, I had the problem after the MG board was replaced. At the time I had two HDS gen 3 units at 7.0. Only after a few calls with MG did I update one of them to 18.2 at the request of MG to get the Lowrance to the latest. 18.2 is the latest for Gen3. I also tested with units separately, I have not had both HDS units on the NMEA network at the same time since I have had the MG worked on. So I wasn't mixing the network with HDS units at different software levels at the same time.

Jonathan - Not sure if your issue is the same or not, but I have been able to repeat the update prompt and subsequent lockup by doing the following:

1. Shut everything off (including NMEA power).
    2. Deploy and power up MG and wait for GPS lock.
    3. Power up HDS unit and wait for GPS lock.
    4. Power up NMEA network.

Prompt shows up within a few seconds of powering the network.

13. Member
    So, I had a good call with Motorguide the other day. They were really helpful and we walked through pretty much everything, including powering down everything, disconnecting, reconnecting, powering up in a specific sequence. Still had the problem. No motor functions when plugged in to the network, and Lowrance units wanting to update the motor and then just freezing up.

I told them the local service center, Motor Clinic in Bloomington, MN would not even touch the motor since it was having an issue with NMEA. They refused to look at it and have no interest or capability to even plug it in to a network. So much for being a MG Premier service center.

Anyway, after we went through it all MG recommended replacing the GPS gateway, which is the GPS Gateway cable. They gave me a part # and said it would be covered under warranty. As they put it, "Network and GPS are features of the motor, so they are supported."

So I called Motor Clinic and told them what MG recommended and they refused to believe it, and instead told me if I wanted to replace the Gateway kit is would be $240.

$240? The retail price, from MG directly, is $149.99. Cabela's (20 mins drive) is $149.99. Amazon Prime is $139.99.

The tech on the phone from Motor Clinic was about as rude and uncaring of a person I have ever talked to. I told them I just wanted my motor fixed and that I would appreciate it if they would do as MG suggests. He told me to have MG call them and hung up on me. Hung up. Click. Nothing.

So, I call back Motor Clinic and ask to speak to the owner. They take my number and he actually called me back a couple hours later.

Now their story is I need to take the whole boat to a rigging center to have the whole network tested. In Minnesota, it is finally nice out, easily a 2 week wait to get an appointment and then who knows how long they will need to boat for. And if, after all of that, the rigging center determines it is the gateway cable then they will talk about replacing it.

So, I just drove to Cabela's and got a new Gateway kit. If it works, great. I would rather spend $150 than ever deal with Motor Clinic and their rude, non-helpful but plenty of attitude people. If it doesn't, I will take it back and get a refund.

MotorGuide has been great to deal with through this. They have not blamed or pointed a finger at Lowrance since with the Lowrance units completely removed from the network, the motor will not get GPS lock or function when it is plugged in to a powered NMEA network, even if it is the only thing on the network. Hard reset the motor and power it on with the NMEA network unpowered, or the MG not plugged in to the network at all and it works fine. Until you power on the NMEA network. They it fails again.

Motor Clinic. Not so good to deal with.

14. Member
    DQM - I will be curious to hear if the new gateway makes a difference, please let us know.

As for the service from MG, my frustration has been the fact that they immediately rule out the motor when that is the only piece in my puzzle that has changed.

Just for fun go into settings/network/data sources and check to see if mtgd is checked in the appropriate source box like pilot, rudder angle, ect

16. Member
    Put in the new gateway yesterday and took it out today and everything worked like it used to and as it is supposed to. So, in my case anyway, that seemed to do the trick for now and time will tell if that stays true. Will follow up after a few more trips. Hope that helps for everyone else.

17. Member
    DQM - So you put the new gateway in and then put your old gateway back in and it is now working?

18. Member
    Sorry. Put the new gateway in and took the boat out today and everything was working.

19. Member
    Got back to looking at it today. Tried downgrading my HDS to v5 (oldest software I have) to see if maybe that would get it working and ran into exactly the same problem, HDS prompted to update motor and then nothing happens and MG loses GPS lock after a few seconds.

I guess I'll try to see if I can convince MG to send me an update dongle. Real glad I have thousands of dollars of equipment that I can't make work properly and the manufacturers just point fingers at each other. Good stuff.

20. Member
    Talked to MG today and I am on a wait list for an update dongle. The guy I spoke to wasn't sure it would work, but said it would not hurt. I am hoping that I somehow just got stuck in a bad update loop and the dongle can reset it and then I can update from the Lowrance. Not sure how long I have to wait to get the dongle, but I'll post back when I get it and try it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast