Thread: Water leaking

Prairieville, Louisiana / Zolfo Springs, Florida

Water leaking

1E080631

250R

Water is leaking from cowl when trimmed up out of water.

Its coming from in front of yoke above the tiller. There’s a peice that looks to be rubber.

I ran motor on hose with cowl off looking for a leak but everything looks dry.

Is this normal??
    Last edited by spider1; 06-01-2019 at 07:13 AM.

I did happen to notice this myself on my 250 pro as well as my father's 250R. You're engine isn't the only one lol. I'll look more into it this week

3. mikesxpress
    You have an opening into the lower cowl just above the yoke. When you come off plane and the water washes fwd and could enter there. With the engine trimmed down it would retain some inside. Tilt up and it would drain out that opening.

4. Member
    Mike that’s not it as mine leaked on the garden hose.

5. Member
    One of my 300's is doing the same thing.

6. mikesxpress
    Conner that's not what your initial post says??
    By "on the garden hose" do you mean with the hose attached to the engine flushing hose or on ears to run the engine in the driveway?

7. Member
    Ok. With boat on trailer in driveway and a garden hose connected to motor flush system.
    After flushing for 5 minutes are so, I tilted motor up and water ran out. Just like it did when the boat and motor were in the lake.

8. Member
    That's a leak. Might be hard to spot, but you need to find it.
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

9. mikesxpress
    Next time try tilting the engine up 1st in the driveway before you flush it and see if you have residual lake water in there. If not, watch around the attachment point for the flush hose on the engine.

10. Member
    These motors has a water spray for the exhaust and I guess if you over trim the water flows out the top instead for going through the bottom of the motor,

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by spider1 View Post
    These motors has a water spray for the exhaust and I guess if you over trim the water flows out the top instead for going through the bottom of the motor,
    I noticed this today on my 300 Pro XS 4S.. Ser # 2B689056..I had the engine in gear at idle, up past the trim stage due to a shallow water area and water was pouring out of the same place you described like a faucet tap “steady stream” i tilted the engine down into the trim range and it stopped, i assume because the water was then traveling straight down behind the side panels due engine angle not being tilted as much..tilted back up past the trim stag and it reappeared again..i brought it home and hooked to muffs and it did the very same thing as i tilted the engine up and down..maybe Don can enlighten us on this and tell us about where the water exits due to engine angle..i also want to add that inside the lower cowl at the bottom is bone dry also while engine is running..Thanks..
    2020 Basscat Lynx..
    2020 Mercury 300 Pro XS 4S..

12. Member
    Just as spider1 posted about the water sprayers.. i found a thread that Don replied to and said that the entire mid section is sprayed with water under the side panels to keep it cool..i also found a (sprayer hose assembly) on the Mercury parts exploded diagram and by where it is located and the way it wraps around the mid section, i can very well see why water would exit at the described area “IF” the engine was running at a angle that was beyond the top of the trim stage and into the tilt range..i would also assume that water exits these sprayers while engine is being flushed per the flush port attachment located on the lower cowl..it all kinda makes sense now but kinda concerns a person when you actually see that water running out like it does..
    2020 Basscat Lynx..

13. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    +1 on the midsection/exhaust sprayers being the source, provided that it is coming from BELOW the adapter plate (and not up inside the engine cowling).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    +1 on the midsection/exhaust sprayers being the source, provided that it is coming from BELOW the adapter plate (and not up inside the engine cowling).
    It is for sure below the adapter plate..inside the cowling is bone dry..Thanks Don for chiming in on this
    2020 Basscat Lynx..