Banned

Anyone done the solid motor mounts?

I have some play in my motor and was looking at the solid mounts. Anyone have these? Feedback on them? They dont look to bad to install.

2. Member
    What model engine do you have? I broke my upper mounts a few years ago and had them replaced with the stronger exhaust plate that has the mounts forged into the plate. The standard upper mounts on a proxs are attached to the exhaust plate with a clamshell type retainer and smallish bolts and that is where the weak link is. No regrets whatsoever in going with the stronger plate and mounts.

3. Banned
    Its a 98 Merc EFI 225hp.

4. Member
    You have to pull the powerhead to replace the uppers. I did this on a motor I used to race with. It will have two effects: (1) it will eliminate any slop caused by the rubber mounts, which helps with motor control, particularly chine walking; (2) it will cause every screw and bolt/nut in the boat to loosen over time as the hull will "buzz" at specific RPM levels. You can DEFINITELY feel the motor's power impulses through the hull with solid mounts. Not for everyone.
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

5. Member
    I had it done on my BassCat 2 years ago. New exhaust plate with solid mounts. I think these Bass Cats are better built than most. I haven't noticed any loose screws and the boat feels better on pad.

6. Member
    I wouldn't put solid mounts in a 1998 225HP motor used for fishing purposes.

7. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    I wouldn't put solid mounts in a 1998 225HP motor used for fishing purposes.
    Well the mounts need replaced so I figured why not. From what I understand its just more vibration at idle.

8. Member
    Would a jack place lessen the vibration slightly? I have a jackplate and solid mounts and don’t notice the vibration but maybe I’m used to it.

9. Member
    I changed a 225 pro xs over to a 300 XS powerhead. Installed solid mounts and a tuner for a 300 on my old bullet. No problems. Just a little more feeling at idle maybe.
    2020 Allison XB 21
    Merc 300R
    2018-SST Bullet
    Merc 300R
    Bullet 20XD
    300XS DBR

10. Member
    Every motor I have had gets solid mounts. Handles way better to me.
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

11. Major Flagelator Gamblinman's Avatar
    I've seen more swing arm bushing issues with 3.0 liters than motor mounts.
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tlt20xd View Post
    I changed a 225 pro xs over to a 300 XS powerhead. Installed solid mounts and a tuner for a 300 on my old bullet. No problems. Just a little more feeling at idle maybe.
    Interesting... Any other mods to make this combination work? Also what Gains did you notice?

13. Member
    Didn't have a lot of choice. The 225 pro xs sent a rod out the side of motor. The 300xs was a DBR flash ECU. I think the solid mounts drove better at high speed with better steering input. The tuners are very different in design as I think the 300 do not have as much exhaust gas out the prop. Other than that all I did was have a Bob's nose cone installed by a very good lower unit guy here locally. This motor was on a 20 XD Bulled.
    2020 Allison XB 21
    Merc 300R
    2018-SST Bullet
    Merc 300R
    Bullet 20XD
    300XS DBR

14. Member
    Solid composite mounts in a ProXS, or solid mount adapter plate in a 300XS, mounted on a bullet, is a totally different situation than a 1998 jag with a 225.

15. Member
    I agree, that's why I through that in there. I didn't pay any attention to what boat he was driving.
    2020 Allison XB 21
    Merc 300R
    2018-SST Bullet
    Merc 300R
    Bullet 20XD
    300XS DBR

16. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Also keep in mind that the "tube" video you linked is a COMPLETELY different engine / displacement from what you have.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

17. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Also keep in mind that the "tube" video you linked is a COMPLETELY different engine / displacement from what you have.
    Yeah its just the only vid I could find. When I do a tear down this winter Ill just do the stock ones. Thanks guys.