Thread: Scam?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Scam?

I have my Triton Trailer on Craigslist for sale. This morning I received a text from some person inquiring about the trailer and asked about it's condition the bottom dollar asking price and etc. After we agreed on the price, his next text was wanting to send me a cashier's check saying once I had deposited into my account he'd pick up the trailer. Getting a little suspicious, I told him I only accepted cash. Well then he offered to send the money to my Paypal account. Still being suspicious, I replied that I didn't have a paypal account, even though I do. He then proceeded to tell me about Paypal and how to open an account. Again I told him I would only accept cash and I have not responded any further to his text.

Is this a scam, like I suspect? His request to deposit the money in my PP account tends to make me think this could be legit....but I'm not sure.

Also the area code on his phone number is in San Jose Cal and I'm in Florida. This too makes me think its a scam.

What do you think?
    Last edited by Chopper; 05-31-2019 at 10:19 AM.

Call PayPal and ask them if there is any possibility of it being a scam.

3. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    The scams usually start with them wanting to send you a check for 10k +/- more and you give them the “change”.

Do yourself a favor, speak to the person on the phone! Ask what boat he’s using it for, how far is the drive, etc. you should be able to sniff out a scam since they never speak on the phone.

Good luck!
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

Sounds fishy, pun intended, to me.
    You can lead a horticulture,
    but you can't make her think.

5. Member
    Sounds off to me. If he’s able to get a cashiers check from a bank then he’s able to get cash
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

6. Member
    Scam
    2001 Ranger 205VS/225 Optimax

7. Member
    A phone call normally separates the scammers from the legit. Scammers normally only operate in text an email. Call and chat for minute, most scammers don’t know much about the item they are “buying” for their scam. Outside of that, call your bank. Ask them the protocol for depositing a cashiers check and how long it takes to clear on BOTH sides. Hold the trailer until it clears.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cneubass79 View Post
    Call PayPal and ask them if there is any possibility of it being a scam.
    This. And make sure you're signed up for PayPal's seller protection.

The buyer might simply be nervous about meeting up with a stranger with what they consider a large sum of cash.

But I would consider going along with the cashier's check route, but only let him take the trailer once the funds are cleared (as opposed to the check simply being deposited).
    __________________________________________________ _______________
    "If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs."
    -David Daye

9. Member
    [QUOTE=Casslaw;10307055]The scams usually start with them wanting to send you a check for 10k +/- more and you give them the “change”.

This. If they don’t ask you to send a portion of the check back or to someone else for shipping, then it’s likely legit. Dealt with this 15 years ago for the first time. Check was bogus, but it cleared on my end to show funds available. 3 days later they bank took the funds back out because they didn’t clear on the other “fake” end. That’s the window they hope you send your money for xyz.

Dripping Springs, Texas and Wahpeton, Iowa
    Scam!! No Question about it time to move on but if you want to have some fun with the scammers there are experts on the BBC who can advise you on their hilarious techniques.

Quote Originally Posted by Tigercat View Post
    A phone call normally separates the scammers from the legit. Scammers normally only operate in text an email. Call and chat for minute, most scammers don’t know much about the item they are “buying” for their scam. Outside of that, call your bank. Ask them the protocol for depositing a cashiers check and how long it takes to clear on BOTH sides. Hold the trailer until it clears.
    Agree. Talk to him on the phone. I'm not convinced at this point that it is a scam. He's offered to PayPal the money to you.

12. Member
    No doubt a scam....I buy/sell on Craigslist all the time....can probably tell you every scam they are doing right now.

13. Member
    Probably a scammer.... If they won't talk on the phone or don't know anything about what they're buying, I usually just respond with some sort terribly offensive picture message.

14. Banned
    You can purchase cashiers checks and send money via paypal with stolen credit card info. Once pay pal or the issuing bank find out the card is stolen they'll reverse the charge.

It's a SCAM. This has been going on for years.

Cash only is the way to go.

15. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Tell him you have a Zelle' account, that goes directly to your bank.

16. Member
    IT IS A SCAM. I sell a lot on Craigslist and EVERY add I post, some chucklhead makes the same offer. Hint....it is usually right after you post. I'm guessing he contacted you shortly after you listed the trailer......
    I'd agree with you , but then we would both be wrong

17. Member
    One of the oldest scams out there.

18. Member
    Had a Truck listed on craigslist & had multilple people wanting to do that, told them cash only and never heard back from them.

Accept anything other than cash and you will likely be giving your boat away... cash only is my rule.

20. Member
    Same thing happen to me selling a truck, not sure how it works but its a scam.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast