Blue Water Navy in Vietnam

If you are a Vietnam Blue Water Navy veteran, you will have special interest in this.

https://www.militarytimes.com/news/p...tnam-veterans/

We are being told this effects over 90,000 vietnam vets that served onboard the ships in Vietnam. For years the VA has enforced a "boots on the ground" policy to qualify for benefits under the agent orange act of 1991, thus eliminating the many veterans that have and continue to suffer from the exact same diseases as those counterpart veterans that had "boots on the ground". Finally the courts have ruled that the VA's decision to deny AO benefits for those in the "Blue Water Navy" was flawed and plain out wrong.

This will open the door to those of us that were exposed to Agent Orange on the carriers and other ships working on yankee station in the gulf of Tonkin during the Vietnam war to the same VA benefits as those that had "boots on the ground" as the VA called it.

PM me if you want more information on this! This is a great victory for many veterans and their families. Special thanks to Cmdr John Wells!

2. Airborne/Infantry bassnman81's Avatar
    Yes, this is a great victory indeed. Long overdue. I hope the word gets out to those that served on those ships. That's one of my main gripes. Unless a veteran is active in current affairs or belongs to a veterans group he or she may never kn ow of this award. If it wasn't for me talking to a guy in a tackle shop seven or so years ago I would of never k now any of this. The VA should be requited to flat out notify every vet.

Lake Norman, N.C./New Britain, CT.
    An Khe 66-67

3. Member
    It's ridiculous that this had to come down to a court battle....Politicians wave the flag and claim Patriotism when they are sending troops off to war but kick them square in the nuts when it comes time to take care of them when they return....I attended a Conference last fall and they spoke of the battles going on to get Vets help from exposure in everywhere from Camp Lejune to the Burning pits in the Middle East...I honestly believe there are very few in Washington DC of either party that give a flying frick about us if they have to open their wallets...There is alot of talk but very little action....Bottom line is we need more Combat vets representing us that have been there and got the Tshirt and not the bunch of tools we currently have on Capitol hill...
    "Historically the most terrible things-war, genocide and slavery-have resulted not from disobedience but from obedience"
    Zinn

4. Member
    I don't have any respect for our military commanders or congressman. I have had close encounters with them in the past and honestly they are in it for themselves. Worked with Congressmen in my state to get a bill through Congress many years ago and while I was in the service, I watched the top brass flock to Guam, Okinawa and Thailand to get a seat on a KC-135/B-52 for a mission to help themselves get the Vietnam Medal. The medal was considered a major PR for promotion back in the 60's and 70's for USAF officers on flight status. I worked for a BG and two Col's that constantly complained about these unnecessary hitchhikers on their aircraft. I had a BG in 1969 tell me that the top commanders had no desire to recognize the thousands of enlisted and non-flight officer personnel that were transferred to Southeast Asia to support the Vietnam war.

5. Member
    Yes,this has been a very hard fought battle. I just learned that the VA is not going to appeal the courts decision and the solicitor generals office had asked the court for a time extension to appeal the case but we just learned the SG's office is not going to appeal the decision either. That makes the courts ruling the law of the land which grants over 90,000 Vietnam vets agent orange benefits. If congress don't change it we should be in good shape but I do not trust the senate at all. Just as was said, they will grandstand about how they support the veterans but when it comes time to actually do something they fail miserably! All we can do is file a claim if you were a blue water navy with AO listed diseases and see what happens!

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chopper View Post
    Yes,this has been a very hard fought battle. I just learned that the VA is not going to appeal the courts decision and the solicitor generals office had asked the court for a time extension to appeal the case but we just learned the SG's office is not going to appeal the decision either. That makes the courts ruling the law of the land which grants over 90,000 Vietnam vets agent orange benefits. If congress don't change it we should be in good shape but I do not trust the senate at all. Just as was said, they will grandstand about how they support the veterans but when it comes time to actually do something they fail miserably! All we can do is file a claim if you were a blue water navy with AO listed diseases and see what happens!
    Look at what is happening with the 911 first responders...Congress has yet to refinance the law that gives them the help that they need...Those guys ran into a hell hole and now our politicians are turning their backs and taking no action...It totally blows my mind..
    It's great that it looks like the Blue water Vetetans are going to get some help...This is not a hand out this is compensation they are receiving for a life altering sickness that was a result of decision making at the highest level...
    I'm surprised there hasn't been another Veteran stand like the "Bonus Army" during the Depression..
    Last edited by brnzbaklvr; 06-11-2019 at 07:58 PM.
    "Historically the most terrible things-war, genocide and slavery-have resulted not from disobedience but from obedience"
    Zinn

7. Member
    I read the other day that there are over 500 Vietnam Vets dying everyday in the US. You can bet the VA is aware of that fact so they are stalling, deferring, denying and doing everything possible to delay any benefits hoping that we will all die and go away. Many blue water vets have died of the cancers and heart ailments caused by AO already. I finally said the hell with it and hired an attorney to handle my case. The quagmire of forms, medical records and other bureaucracy they throw at you is mind numbing, to say the least. I selected an attorney that handles Veterans casses and is familiar with dealing with the VA. He knows the ropes and has the knowledge to sort through the masses of paperwork. I had tried to work with two different veteran advocacy guys without much luck in the past so I figured I'd try a different route this time.