Over heating 2010 Mercury 150 pro xs

2010 Mercury 150 HP pro Xs ID #1B803656

My motor has been flawless for the last 9 years and 2 weeks ago I took my boat into the shop just to make sure everything was working properly before I use it. I was then notified that the motor was over heating and the valve was stuck wide open which it did not let the cold water circulating into the block. So the mechanic switched the valve out thinking it may have fixed the issue. Two weeks later, I called and was told my motor was still over heating even with a new valve, pump, and impeller. I was told that the mechanic does not know what’s going on and I have a rare problem. The shop said they are waiting to hear back from Mercury to see what to do next. So my question is, have any one had this issue before or is it really a “rare” problem?

2. Member
    start at pump always replace all 3 gaskets correctly, not uncommon to see base and adapter plate gaskets leaking either , my question is was it really overheating when you took it in or last used it ??????? hmmmmmm
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Member
    The shop said they replaced the water pump, so I’m hoping they replaced all the gaskets. The last time I rode the boat was two years ago before winterizing it and it was running fine. I never had any problems with the shop but this time they say they can’t figure it out is kind of puzzling and it’s been at the shop for 2 weeks which sucks.

4. Member
    be glad its not at mine 4-6weeks before I can even look at one , good shops are always loaded bad ones are not
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

5. Member
    Yes, definitely true. The shop is currently 4-6 weeks out before they can see another boat. But up here in MN, with the crazy weather that we get, most people only get 3 months of good weather usage before the cold comes back ��.

6. Member
    Inquire of your mechanic if, when they "replaced the water pump", they replaced the impeller, plate and all 3 gaskets. There is one gasket either side of the plate, but the third is under the pump base, which must be removed, to replace it. I'd be questioning poppet valve installation, it must move "as if buttered" meaning smooth and no resistance. If not, and it's still stuck open, the engine will be dumping coolant rather than circulating through the system.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

7. Member
    Just found out the shop said the valve is still stuck open. They said they are waiting for a part to replace a spring in the valve. I’ll know by next week.

I would learn how to replace the impeller and the poppet valve, especially being out of warranty and having a short season.
    2006 Triton TR-21 XD, Mercury 225 Pro XS, S/N 1B287870

9. Member
    hopefully one day