Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ultrex Not Latching when Stowed

I recently noticed that my Ultrex doesn't seem to be locking down in place when stowed. If I push the latch bar towards the mount, it will move a bit and then lock. The latch bar is acting like it is in a bind. Is there something I need to lubricate to make this work better? At first I thought that I maybe had to bounce buster cut off too long, but it's doing it even when it's removed.
    2017 Legend SS 1860 Semi-V
    2013 Evinrude Etec 150/105 jet drive
    Minn kota Ultrex Quest Trolling Motor
    Humminbird Helix 9 Chirp Mega SI GPS G2N (console)
    Garmin Echomap Ultra 106sv with LVS32 transducer (bow)
    YouTube: youtube.com/Etec86

2. Member
    The latch bar doesn't come into play when stowing. You're moving the latch that is located up towards the pivots. This is usually an indication that the trolling motor base is mounted in a twist, and when that happens the base isn't square to the arm. Suggest taking trolling motor off mount, pulling arm down and making sure it comes down in the center of the base. If it doesn't loosen/tighten mounting bolts til it does. When it gets square, you may have to shim under trolling motor to get it tight.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

3. Member
    Are you by chance babying it when stowing? You don’t need to slam it down but you don’t want to lay it down like a newborn baby either.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerus View Post
    Are you by chance babying it when stowing? You don’t need to slam it down but you don’t want to lay it down like a newborn baby either.
    If the install is correct (some self installs just tighten the trolling motor to the boat without worrying about twisting the mount), the weight of the motor with just a little force will latch it.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

Also be sure the stabilizer arm is adjusted correctly.
    Friend did not set his jam nut and the rod vibrated down enough it would not latch with out stepping on it.

Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post
    Also be sure the stabilizer arm is adjusted correctly.
    Friend did not set his jam nut and the rod vibrated down enough it would not latch with out stepping on it.
    I'm thinking the mount has have a little twist in because it doesn't latch even when the bounce buster has been removed. When I get a chance, I am going to loosen up the bolts and see if that fixes the issue like John mentioned. The bow of my boat is tread plate and not completely smooth so there is a pretty good chance it's in a slight bind.

Yes sir. Do like John said, got lucky on mine the first bolt I backed off was the one that needed shimmed.. If its not much SS fender washer's or nylon washers may be enough.

Loosening and tightening all of the base bolts seems to have fixed the issue. Stowed it several times afterwards and it locks down fine now. It actually makes an audible click now when it locks.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonestrollingmotor View Post
    If the install is correct (some self installs just tighten the trolling motor to the boat without worrying about twisting the mount), the weight of the motor with just a little force will latch it.
    John
    Mines not twisted at all but will sometimes not fully lock if I ease it down too slow.

11. Member
    Tried and tried and tried everything. Mine will not lock unless I push head of trolling motor away from center of boat. Un mounted and re installed with new bolts. Shimmed it, loosened it... Tightened barely and lots... Nothing works. Any suggestions?

12. Member
    Mine used to do that and the twist was in the pivot point there's 2 small screws in each side and if one snapped it would not lock ,pull the big plastic side covers and put a screw driver on them and see

13. Member
    The black torx screws?

Quote Originally Posted by Travis View Post
    The black torx screws?
    yes - they are bad to back out.

15. Member
    They are tight as a tick and not broke. Still binds even after losing and tightening back

16. Member
    Until you get it to a shop and get them to look at it I doubt you will be able to spot the problem on your own. You have done everything I would have done, but I am sure that there is something that is bent or loose internal of the upper arm to amle it latch correctly.

17. Member
    Yeah it's brand new boat. It's going back to dealer n for a service real soon so I told em about it we'll see.

18. Member
    Yeah it's brand new boat. It's going back to dealer n for a service real soon so I told em about it we'll see.
    Make sure they are an authorized service center or else they can't repair and make a claim.
    I added the diagram below. Look at part # 528. It is inside the upper arm. If it is missing that is why the mount is not working correctly in the stored position.

https://motors.johnsonoutdoors.com/P...0_-_2020_Mount
    Last edited by Bradrodfish; 09-13-2020 at 08:12 AM.

19. Member
    It is not missing. Even with the mount loose from the boat it doesnt want to latch. Take the motor off the arm and mount and works fine. I emailed minnkota as my dealer that installed it is two hours away and I want to know my options. The arm or mount obviously has a bend in it or isnt square in some manner and it shows when weight is applied. I have over 10 hours in it I bet fiddling with the mount, arm and everything in between. Had enough.
    Last edited by Travis; 09-16-2020 at 08:31 AM.

It is not missing. Even with the mount loose from the boat it doesnt want to latch. Take the motor off the arm and mount and works fine. I emailed minnkota as my dealer that installed it is two hours away and I want to know my options. The arm or mount obviously has a bend in it or isnt square in some manner and it shows when weight is applied. I have over 10 hours in it I beat fiddling with the mount, arm and everything in between. Had enough.
    If you would keep us posted.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast