Mercury 2002 115 water pump question from a new boater

I have a 2002 Merc 115 2+2. I bought the boat and motor last year. This is my first boat. The motor has roughly 40 hours on it. The last time i had the boat out it beeped a few times on my way into dock. My assumption was at the time the beeping was because the oil was low, maybe an inch and a half left in the reservoir. It beeped like three times in really rough water and then stopped once we got into a calmer area. I have not run it since. The oil is full now, and after taking it out of storage i started it up in my drive way. After hooking up the water muffs and turning on the water no water was coming out of the top hole (spit hole, pee hole, i don't know what its called). I figured that was because the motor needs to be on, to run the pump to create enough pressure to push the water thru the engine. So i turned the motor on and still no water. After maybe 30 seconds i turned it off not wanting to damage anything. Now i'm at a loss.

Am i right that the motor needs to be on to get water to flow?
    Was it not flowing because there is a thermostat that opens the water flow once it's up to temp?
    Is the pump shot and that's what the beeping was. I can't remember if i noticed water flow the last time i had it out. Although i think i would have.
    Last, will it beep in code? Like short beeps spaced apart means low oil? longer beeps means bad pump? Constant beep means your F&*^%d?

Any advise would be great.

2. Member
    Hello mmead.
    Buy the numbers:
    1) Yes, engine has to be running for water to come out of tell tail
    2) I am not aware of any 115 2 strokes with Thermostats...water should flow at start-up
    3) Possible.. water pump should be changed every year / no more then every two years
    4) Oil warning will sound with only 1.5" in tank. Best bet is to make sure it's full before use.
    5) Yes, there is a cadence.. (short fast beeps- Oil sensor / Long warning - temp), coming off memory so please confirm in service manual.

Robinr011