Smart craft Alarm

I have a 2104 150 pro-xs opti-max serial #28021066 that just hit 100 hours. The smart alarm says that during break in period more oil can be consumed. Any ideas why this alarm would be going off with 100 hours on motor? Thanks

2. Member
    Break in procedures in the owner's manual not followed correctly until break in clock in PCM counted down to 0.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

3. Member
    On an Optimax engine if you turn the key to the 'On' position and move the throttle handle from neutral to forward 3-5 times it will prime the oil pump and initiate a a new 120 minute break-in cycle. Thats from the service manual. Had to do that after replacing the oil tank and lines. About the only thing I can think of that would cause that unless you had it serviced recently and the dealer used a diagnostic tool to reset it. Or the previous response as well of not hitting all of the rpms/parameters for break-in per the PCM. Would think with 100 hrs on it you would be clear already but who knows!

4. Member
    The jockey shifter method should only be used to put an engine into break in mode. An oil pump prime sequence is highly recommended when replacing engine reservoir or opening any oil line beyond the reservoir. The prime sequence primes the oil system to purge any air and does not put computer in break in mode.

um8kthecall do you have kids who like to play in the boat? If so, quite possible they may have "helped" you back into break in.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverFox579 View Post
    The jockey shifter method should only be used to put an engine into break in mode. An oil pump prime sequence is highly recommended when replacing engine reservoir or opening any oil line beyond the reservoir. The prime sequence primes the oil system to purge any air and does not put computer in break in mode.

um8kthecall do you have kids who like to play in the boat? If so, quite possible they may have "helped" you back into break in.
    Red text above is often the cause.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    Thanks for the answers, I spoke the marina that winterizes my boat and they said they do this so in the spring it makes sure there is good lubrication for the first 120 minutes

7. Member
    That’s sounds like a bad idea, it can lead to fouled plugs and carbon build up. Read the FAQ on here on the recommended winterization procedure.
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by um8kthecall View Post
    Thanks for the answers, I spoke the marina that winterizes my boat and they said they do this so in the spring it makes sure there is good lubrication for the first 120 minutes
    You waste oil and potentially foul plugs because your "mechanic" doesn't understand an Optimax or know how to properly winterize one. I'd find a new mechanic or learn to winterize yourself, which is not difficult.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    BAD idea. Double oil, Potential for fouled plugs and carbon buildup (not to mention they are resetting ALL of the Run and Fault History each time this is done... everything except for the Total Engine Hours).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor