Who is good with growing a lawn???

Some might have a green thumb, Mine is black. I've fertilized, Spread peat moss to hold moisture, spread new loam, water twice a day and still have sparce grass starting... I'm ready to go with my heritage and make an italian lawn ---- COVER IT IN STONE...

2. Member
    Have u ever tried tru green? I had them in northern indiana for a few years.My grass was amazing. i had probably 1/4 acre. less than 300 a year. quality chemicals would cost near that much. they could get u on track with a good yard then u could take over. they would wheel and deal also to keep u if u threatened to quit. and they did all the work. I dont regret it one bit.

Around the same time that I bought my first boat, my wife took over the lawn care duties. She calls it exercise....she thinks it's fun.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

4. Member
    what dricha21 said is on point!

5. Member
    Have you done a soil test?
    Our state cooperative extension has tests kits and we send samples to state for testing.
    Tells you what you need to add or correct to bring levels back to what it should be for growing grass (or crops).
    It helped me for sure.
    FYI ....1 acre = 43560 sq feet.

of course once the rain stops and it dries out....it starts all over in the fall
    Last edited by nc370v; 06-11-2019 at 08:48 PM.

6. Member
    May we assume you are planting grass seed developed for your growing zone? Even here in Virginia seed is sold which cannot survive in our 90 plus and little rain summers sometimes. But yet there is seed available that will survive. Go figure. The best lawn I ever had was in Oklahoma with Bermuda, seemingly immune to weeds, heat and drought, but you had to look at a beige lawn all winter.

7. Member
    Only water once a day and that time would be between 5am-10am... You want your lawn to dry out during the day, so that the roots can dig down to find water instead of always relying on water at the surface and having shallow roots. If you have a small lawn of 5k sq ft, water at 6am, should be done by 7-8am, a couple acre lawn, maybe start the irrigation at 3am so that it can be finished by 10ish am. You don't want your lawn to be wet from 9pm-4am because it will start getting fungus and other crap you don't want. Don't water in the middle of a hot day because of evaporation, water before 10am and after 9pm. Bye

I hired a company similar to Tru-Green, the results were fantastic. At first, they come out and spray for weeds, then the next few months they spray fertilizer on the dirt (nothing was left after they sprayed for weeds)... in the fall they did a double aeration and over-seeded heavily. I watered and watered until the weather turned cold, I thought I had wasted my money. In the Spring, I was amazed at all the new growth however and after the second year the yard was really looking good.

One of the things I had to change was how short/long I mow each week. I was mowing the grass WAYYY to short, it should be 3.5 to 4" long AFTER you mow in order to keep it healthy.

^^^^ all of this depends on where geographically you live.
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com