Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar

Cant Stop Bending Jerkbait Hooks!!

Thanks to 250BassFl I have really learned to become an efficient jerkbait fisherman the last 6 months or so. One day with him on the water made me question everything I “knew” and made me a MUCH better fisherman.

The jerkbait is now one one of my confidence baits and I’ve caught some really nice fish on them.

I started out with a 7’ BPS Carbonlite 2.0 med-fast, same reel 8.3:1, 10lb CXX. The tip is perfect, and it has plenty of backbone for a jerkbait. I’ve kept my drag very loose and managed to catch fish I never would have before learning to really utilize this lure.

I usually use 2 JBs, the Vision 110, and the 200 series KVD Strike Kings.

The problem is that I just keep bending the stock hooks no matter how light my drag is set. The largest I have caught this year on a jb was 9lbs15oz, and no bent hooks. Multiple 6-8 pounders and no bent hooks. The 3-4 pounders are the ones that always bend my hooks!

The hookset doesn’t appear to be the issue, when I lose a fish it’s usually right at the boat or 15 seconds into the fight then they just ghost.

That rod/reel is just too long for me so I have switched recently. The butt is too long, and the length is a little too long for me. I’m 5’10” so I’m a shorty.

I only have a few rods under 7’ so I pulled out an OLD Berkley TGS 6’8” med/hvy-fast. It’s a full cork handle and the length is perfect! The tip is a little strong BUT really shouldn’t be a problem. I’m using 10lb CXX and the last 2 weekends I have bent all the hooks on 3 different KVD 200 series JBs

I just replaced the hooks with round bend Gammys and will try them out tonight but this has to stop!

I refuse to believe I have to buy a “special” jerkbait rod...I will because I want to, but I have to learn what I’m doing wrong first!

My drags are set nice and light, I’ve had fish take 30 yard runs with no issue, so I’m at a loss here guys.

ANY tips would be appreciated, Chris
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

2. Member
    #6 short shank KVD's, problem solved.

Are you setting the drag by pulling straight off the reel? You should be pulling at 90 deg. to the rod tip. BIG difference in reel setting!
    Don't bother me, I'm screwing for virginity.

I killed a 12-pack just to watch it die.

4. Member
    Awitch hooks the stock MB hooks are sharp but very weak and brittle. Use #5 gamma nano finesse.
    Nitro z21

5. Member
    It's not the rod, it's the hooks. Check out this video on the 110 action with different hooks.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonG View Post
    Awitch hooks the stock MB hooks are sharp but very weak and brittle. Use #5 gamma nano finesse.
    You are not kidding......I just broke my hook on my second trip out using my 110 jr. Finding a #8 replacement is a bitch too.

7. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    I set the drag by hooking whatever lure is on that pole to the front door knob and I set the drag about 10-15’ away. Then, as I’m catching fish my drag gets changed by the fish.

With the JB I change my drag a lot because I’m used to braid and am still learning how to let each fish take some lime during the fight.

With the MB hooks...yeah I get that they’re brittle and very fine wire (had 2 deep into my fingers!) but that lure needs a super light wire hook. I haven’t looked into the Nanos yet, but I will thanks.

I didnt catch one over 3.5-4 Saturday but 3 different Strike King KVD jerkbaits we’re getting their hooks bent back after darn near every fish.

I put some super nice Gammys on one and went to one of my golf course ponds last night but zero hits,,,,which is weird! I catch 2 or 3 every night and when I want to specifically test something they go lock jaw!

I know stock hooks suck, but the ones on the KVD jerkbaits SEEM like decent hooks, definitely shouldn’t be bending with a med/fast rod and copoly.

Seems as though stock hooks suck! Makes me feel a little better!
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

8. Member
    Ditto on the MB hooks. Had one go in my finger this weekend, and shear off. Was only sticking out a few mm's. Started changing them to Gamakatsu Nano's (5's).

I've lost countless fish on straightened hooks, got the drag right and it helped, but those hooks won't get it done on a big fish.

Quote Originally Posted by Casslaw View Post
    I set the drag by hooking whatever lure is on that pole to the front door knob and I set the drag about 10-15’ away. Then, as I’m catching fish my drag gets changed by the fish.

With the JB I change my drag a lot because I’m used to braid and am still learning how to let each fish take some lime during the fight.

With the MB hooks...yeah I get that they’re brittle and very fine wire (had 2 deep into my fingers!) but that lure needs a super light wire hook. I haven’t looked into the Nanos yet, but I will thanks.

I didnt catch one over 3.5-4 Saturday but 3 different Strike King KVD jerkbaits we’re getting their hooks bent back after darn near every fish.

I put some super nice Gammys on one and went to one of my golf course ponds last night but zero hits,,,,which is weird! I catch 2 or 3 every night and when I want to specifically test something they go lock jaw!

I know stock hooks suck, but the ones on the KVD jerkbaits SEEM like decent hooks, definitely shouldn’t be bending with a med/fast rod and copoly.

Seems as though stock hooks suck! Makes me feel a little better!

Quote Originally Posted by TohoRookie View Post
    Ditto on the MB hooks. Had one go in my finger this weekend, and shear off. Was only sticking out a few mm's. Started changing them to Gamakatsu Nano's (5's).

I've lost countless fish on straightened hooks, got the drag right and it helped, but those hooks won't get it done on a big fish.

Does Mark Perry know how you feel about MB's hook deficiencies? Maybe ask him directly? I didn't realize the subject was MB jerk baits....and I can't afford one, so there's that! Silly me put Gamakatsu EWG trebles on my Rapalas (all wrong, not a good hook for jerk baits, they say), but then I've never broken or straightened one OR had a fish come unpinned.
    Don't bother me, I'm screwing for virginity.

I killed a 12-pack just to watch it die.

10. Member
    Try Daiichi Death Grip Hook. I fish ALLOT of JB's . Light wire, strong than outbarbs, incredibly sharp. Cost me ~$.75/ hook buying 100 at a time.

11. Member
    Casslaw. . . if it were me, I would take a second look at your overall setup. As I'm sure you know, due to the lack of stretch, using braid increases the power of your overall setup. I use DUO and MB jerkbaits a LOT - to the point were I'm a little embarrassed to say that I have two 3700 Plano boxes filled with MB's and more in storage. Anyway, yes the MB hooks are on the thin side, however they are made that way for a reason. The hooks are not deficient and they can keep big fish pinned. However, the components of your overall setup needs to work effectively in conjunction with each other or something will give - in your case the hooks. For 110's I use a Dobyns 704CB with 10/12 pound Sunline Sniper Fluorocarbon. For the 110 Magnums, I use a Dobyns 705CB with the same line. Both rods and line have enough "give" to allow the fish to stay pinned. I have bent the MB hooks, however most of the time it's because of a day of multiple fish catches. Sure you can change out the hooks and I have for different reasons, just ensure you understand how the hook change affects the action of the lure.

12. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stykbowslim View Post
    Casslaw. . . if it were me, I would take a second look at your overall setup. As I'm sure you know, due to the lack of stretch, using braid increases the power of your overall setup. I use DUO and MB jerkbaits a LOT - to the point were I'm a little embarrassed to say that I have two 3700 Plano boxes filled with MB's and more in storage. Anyway, yes the MB hooks are on the thin side, however they are made that way for a reason. The hooks are not deficient and they can keep big fish pinned. However, the components of your overall setup needs to work effectively in conjunction with each other or something will give - in your case the hooks. For 110's I use a Dobyns 704CB with 10/12 pound Sunline Sniper Fluorocarbon. For the 110 Magnums, I use a Dobyns 705CB with the same line. Both rods and line have enough "give" to allow the fish to stay pinned. I have bent the MB hooks, however most of the time it's because of a day of multiple fish catches. Sure you can change out the hooks and I have for different reasons, just ensure you understand how the hook change affects the action of the lure.
    I agree that the 110 works best with a thin wire treble, and I have a few dozen of their hooks so I’m trying to work on my set up. I use 10lb CXX copoly, not braid. I learned that lesson really quickly!

The 7’ rod I was using was perfect, just a little too long in length and in the butt section so I was wearing my arms out quick trying to hold the rod away from me! When I switched to the 6’8” rod, the tip is just a little too stiff.

What I find the most odd is that big fish aren’t bending my hooks, it’s the 3 pounders! I do like the MB hooks because they’re sticky, that fish can thrash and rarely gets off without hooking himself somewhere else. I know they will bend, they’re super thin.

What I don’t get is how I’m bending Strike King KVD hooks? They’re much stronger and a bluegill can pull my drag at this point!

I will keep experimenting, like we all do!

Thanks for that video, I’ll never put a normal hook on a 110! Sometimes they like the smaller, more quiet 200 series SK jerkbait and I lose more fish on that lure. I’m sure it’s hard to catch the hooks all the time when you work a JB like I do, but it’s so much fun!

13. Member
    I use a 110 special (with the drag backed off), 10-12 sniper. I think the sniper may be the issue. Not much stretch there. I love that stuff though.

14. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    I’m using CXX copoly, not sniper. However I’m very used to braid so this stuff feels like it stretches a lot.

For tomorrow I have 1 rod rigged with 10lb CXX and one with 12lb Big Game, now I just have to catch enough on each to really test it out!

I don’t have any 110s, at least none that are the real deal, but I fish a lot of jerkbaits and I fish them on braid with a fluoro leader. If anyone is bending hooks, it’d be me with that setup when a nice smallmouth or pike gets hold of one. I’ve bent the hell out of hooks on Shadow Raps, also VMCs, but replace them with #6 KVD Triple Grips and have never bent or broken one. They’re not as sharp as a VMC Barbarian like you see on a 110, but they’re sharp enough and pin fish very well.

The issue may be that they’d change the action on a 110. Past that, and this sounds ghetto as hell on a $25 jerkbait, I’d stick Triple Grips on them and be done with it.

Another suggestion is to try the Jackall Rerange. I’ve only ever fished one 110 (lost it to a pike), but I honestly like the action on the Rerange better. Their stock hooks are stupid sharp and don’t bend, literally the only jerkbait I’ll fish out of the pack. They’re $10 cheaper than a 110 to boot.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

16. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    Thanks Drew, I will check those out! I have a few Bomber JBs, but I mainly use the 200 series KVD and the 110. I don’t have as many toothy critters as you do! I’d cry if I lost one

I couldn’t get a good JB bite yesterday so not sure if the changes I made worked but I do know that the tip on my 7’ rod I’ve been using imparts a LOT better action than the MH 6’8” I have. Maybe it’s just how I fish them but I need a loose tip.

Sucks being short cause I’d love to just stick to the 7 footer! I’ll check out the Jackall, thanks again.