Question. About LED Lights

I just installed some LED strip lighting in the compartments of my boat. I used heat shrink waterproof connectors, marine wiring, etc.. My buddy just told me I'll be changing the lights out every 6 months when they burn out (his experience). Anyone else have that experience, or did my buddy simply not install his lights correctly? I'm hoping and assuming I won't have the same experience. I like finally having lights in my compartments.

2. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    A quality Led strip inside a compartment will last for many years,
    Drewcraft Specializes in Lithium Batteries and Chargers, We carry all Brands of Trolling Motors and Graphs, Minnkota, Lowrance, Garmin, Motorguide
    910-722-0001 call or text
    info@drewcraft.com

What he said^^^^
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

4. Member
    I have Bluewaters (when he first started to sell them) and E-Bay ones- if install right they will last a long time - only had 1 cheap one die. Bluewaters are bright and a little better built (some have turn yellow - but if your ass was in the sun I bet you would turn yellow too) . Some of mine are under trailer and never gave a problem.

5. Member
    I had cheap ones in my boat , no problems. Just sold the boat, so won't know how long they'll last. As for cheap vs expensive ones? Good question.
    As stated above, proper installation is key, it sounds like you did that.

Cheap ones can last, but why chance it. Do buy a quality product. I have gone through a truck load of cheap ones, but a lot of times you get what you pay for. I don’t skimp on LEDs anymore or pretty much anything else.

2008 BULLET 21XD 2007 Merc 300xs

7. Member
    They all come from China or Korea , cheap or expensive the expensive ones are just packaged by a middle man , the cheaper ones I've bought have been the best, I bought some from an unnamed source that were all mixed colors of white at least the ones that worked were. I've been checking the Oznium site they will often have a clearance sale and you can pick up some deals

8. Member
    Glad to hear my buddy's experience was not the norm. Seemed a little odd to me anyway. I put LED trailer lights on my trailer and those have lasted several years... going under water regularly. Here in California, our compartments stay relatively dry in comparison to other parts of the country. The lights not being exposed to harsh weather, seemed to me like they should last a while. Thanks for the reassurance that the work I did installing the lights in all of my compartments shouldn't lead to bunch of headaches

I had some ebay LED strips as Nav lights that only lasted a couple seasons. Had a couple extra of the ebay ones in the garage (still in the original package they were shipped in), and they didn't work either. I assume they didn't survive the hot/cold Minnesota weather cycles. I would not mess with "cheap" versions.
    Replaced them with Bluewaters - and no issues since.

I also have deck mounted strips from an automotive store that are holding up very well to UV and temp cycling year to year.

Both Bluewater, Oznium, and SuperbrightLEDs sell some quality lights.