Thread: Pool 14

Pool 14

Hey there,

I'm thinking about camping out at Pool 14 in late July and chasing some bass around. How does 14 typically set up? Will there be a frog bite going in the backwaters like the river is famous for? Are there decent smallmouth in 14 or should I focus my efforts on Largemouth?

Thanks

-Nate
    2012 Nitro Z8
    225 Mercury Pro XS

2. Member
    Pool 14 doesnt really have much for good backwaters. There is some decent smallmouth fishing, but overall it's my least favorite pool to bass fish on. Not enough backwaters and lots of recreational traffic. Unless you have other interests in the area you're staying at I'd reccomend talking to Darren Witt who runs spring lake Campground on pool 13. Fishing can be tough on 13 in July, but it can also be awesome! If you really want the fishing that the upper Mississippi river is know for you really need to travel all the way to pool 8 or 9.

3. Member
    This is great info, thanks. I have a little club tournament on 14 in August. I thought about locking up to 13 but that seems excessive for a small tournament.

So I'll definitely focus more on smallmouth between beers lol
    2012 Nitro Z8
    225 Mercury Pro XS

4. Member
    Ok, good luck. It can be tough and the water has been extremely high all year, but there is a lot of riprap and wing dams to fish that I've had good luck catching large and smallmouth both. With the water being high come July the backwaters could be better than normal. They are usually pretty shallow.