Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Doesn't sound right... pretty straightforward, seal kit contains all the seals and o-rings.

Don,

From looking at the fiche on your website ther are multiple seal kits avaiable in iorder to do what I need to do. In order to get all the seals for the tilt rod the seal kit
    878408A1 is $91.00 then that does not include the check valve so that is
    878406A02 for $66.42
    So yes it would be more like $150.00 + s&h For all the parts needed. I was thinking I needed 3 kits to get everything done. I wad just very afraid from talking to my local Mercury dealer that they were just going to put a new trim unit on it rather than rebuilding it. Also I see that the tilt rod complete is no longer available as well. Also my local shop was about 3 weeks out on service.

the local hydraulic shop seemed very helpful and said they would have it done in 2-4 days. Also they said the cost would be less than $400.00. So we shall see if this all works out. I will post back when I get it back to let everyone know the final cost and experience. Hopefully this will give others an alternative solution for tilt/trim issues.

Thanks for your time Don.
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx
    250 Pro xs 4S Serial # 3B010758

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    878408A1 is a complete Repair Kit (all seals and o-rings). The check valves are INCLUDED in that kit (note reference #25 in the image).

The Complete TILT Cylinder, when you attempt to add it to the cart displays the following message:

"Item Not Available for Online Orders!
    Contact Parts Department at: 864-421-0444 for more information (or alternatives) on this part".

When you contact the Parts Department, they can assist and would determine that there is a newer version of the Center Tilt Cylinder, Part# 8M0142998 that can be purchased.

Glad you have someone getting it repaired for you. For most situations (and others reading this later), the REPAIR KIT covers most wear components in the system (but not METAL components).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    878408A1 is a complete Repair Kit (all seals and o-rings). The check valves are INCLUDED in that kit (note reference #25 in the image).

The Complete TILT Cylinder, when you attempt to add it to the cart displays the following message:

"Item Not Available for Online Orders!
    Contact Parts Department at: 864-421-0444 for more information (or alternatives) on this part".

When you contact the Parts Department, they can assist and would determine that there is a newer version of the Center Tilt Cylinder, Part# 8M0142998 that can be purchased.

Glad you have someone getting it repaired for you. For most situations (and others reading this later), the REPAIR KIT covers most wear components in the system (but not METAL components).
    Aaahhhhh!!! That makes perfect sense. I know the next model had a spring and cup in the tilt rod where as my serial number does not. I guess I just assumed it was not available by the message saying not available for online purchase. Thanks for all your help. I am still new to this Marine stuff but with all the great people here we can manage to get through it.
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx

4. Member
    Well another update... I got my trim unit back and it is still having the same problem. Tilt cylinder is slowly leaking down. I talkedtothe mechanic and he said he did not see a smoking gun but alot of the oring di have some flat spots on the outside of them. So I am back to square 1. So any suggestions??? I have got tx's the next 3 weeks so I am going to use it the way it is but then take back to the shop for them to pull the pump down and possible check the poppet valve. Once again only the tilt rod is leaking down with no external leaking.
    Thanks
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    What items did they replace in the TILT ram (specifically)?

I would replace ALL components included in the Repair Kit.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    I will get a definite answer on that in the AM. I believe they replaced every oring but I don't know 100%.
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx

7. Member
    see #15, been there done that and got the shirt too
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    see #15, been there done that and got the shirt too
    What exactly are you meaning by this? I have found out that every oring/ seal was replaced in all 3 tubes. The only thing that was not replaced that comes with the kit is the poppet valve o rings and manual release orings. So I could this cause the issue???
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx

9. Member
    What items did they replace in the TILT ram (specifically)?

I would replace ALL components included in the Repair Kit.
    Ok Don got some answers for you. Every oring/seal was replaced in all 3 tubes. The only thing that comes in the kit that was not replaced (from what I see) is the orings on the poppet valve and oring on the manual release valve. Do you thinks either or these could be an issue? Any other suggestions? Thanks again for all your time.
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Manual Relief Valve, Bypass Valves, or Check Valve in the PORT side ram are the most likely culprits.

11. Member
    Manual Relief Valve, Bypass Valves, or Check Valve in the PORT side ram are the most likely culprits.
    Thank you Don... I will look into this. Am I correct that the manual relief valve and the check valve in port side ram are included in the kit #25? I do not see any parts in the parts list break down saying a bypass valve. Would the parts breakdown call it something else? Just trying to figure out the parts you are referencing.
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx

12. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    #25 should cover all of the replaceable seals/valves. The one in the PORT trim ram is not replaceable (you replace the piston/ram if it needs replaced).

13. Member
    Thank you Don. For your advice and help. The problem was the po ckeck valve on trim cylinder. I hope this helps others out as well. I do have an extra kit if anyone is interested.
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12