Thread: New Phone

New Phone

Wife says i need a newer phone because the one that i have is not keeping a charge and acts up sometimes so i just re start it, i told her that i am not going to spent 300-400 on a new phone, since Verizon done away with getting a free upgrade, can i order one and take it to Verizon and have them pull my info from my old phone to the new and keep my number?

2. Member
    Most likely. I phone or Android?

3. Member
    FYI my wife just had the same problem with her phone and found that you can purchase a reconditioned phone directly from Apple at the Apple store with a new phone warranty for half the cost of a new phone. Do not go to a store that carries I Phones go directly to an Apple store, you will get a completely reconditioned new case, new guts and battery I Phone with a 1 year warranty the same as a new one. We also have Verizon and they took care of the set up at the Verizon store. Good luck hope this helps.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassohio71 View Post
    FYI my wife just had the same problem with her phone and found that you can purchase a reconditioned phone directly from Apple at the Apple store with a new phone warranty for half the cost of a new phone. Do not go to a store that carries I Phones go directly to an Apple store, you will get a completely reconditioned new case, new guts and battery I Phone with a 1 year warranty the same as a new one. We also have Verizon and they took care of the set up at the Verizon store. Good luck hope this helps.
    that helps

5. Member
    I had a 6S+ and finally wore the plug in out and couldn't get it to make contact with cords to charge. I took it to a place to get it fixed. $80 later I had a brand new charging port thingy but the speaker didn't work. People could call me and I could talk to them but they couldn't talk to me. 2 days without communications on a business phone and trying to run this dude back down that fixes phones and I ended up buying a new 10XR I think it is.

Apple has out ran their coverage with this thing. The old 6S I could unlock with my thumb driving down the road and holler at my truck and make a phone call. This one has the face recognition thing. I have to raise it up and stare into it to unlock it. If you stick your tongue out at it sometimes it won't unlock and then you have to punch in the secret code.

Rule number 1 about new shit. If it ain't broke, make it more complicated to use.

6. Member
    Get a new battery off Amazon or internet for $12-15 and chances are good you will be good! New battery probably fix glitch problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Nowater2shallow View Post
    Wife says i need a newer phone because the one that i have is not keeping a charge and acts up sometimes so i just re start it, i told her that i am not going to spent 300-400 on a new phone, since Verizon done away with getting a free upgrade, can i order one and take it to Verizon and have them pull my info from my old phone to the new and keep my number?
    The short answer is yes, Verizon should be able to transfer the information to the new phone and activate with the device with your old phone number.

Other Options:
    If it's an iPhone: You should be able to take your phone to an authorized repair location (or Apple store) and have the battery replaced for around $25.
    You could also buy one off Craigslist for a fraction of the price of new, but be careful not to get a broken or stolen phone, ONLY complete the sale inside a Verizon store and have them check the phone before making the purchase.

If it's an Android: Most Android phones have removable back covers where you can access the battery, order a replacement online for a small price.

8. Member
    I refuse to buy a "new" phone. Last years model does just fine for me. I will buy from ebay as a remanufactured or display phone. Maybe a few very small scratches but for about $75 the phone does everything I need it to do. Make sure you buy from a seller that has good sales record. Most will come with a 30 warranty. I get the new pne in the mail, take both old and new phone to verizon store, they take both phones apart to swap out sim cards. Takes less than 15 min.

9. Member
    kyskipper I bet there is a way to disable that face deal. Call apple support for help.

Quote Originally Posted by Nowater2shallow View Post
    If you get a new smart phone for $300-400 consider yourself lucky.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KYSkipper View Post
    I had a 6S+ and finally wore the plug in out and couldn't get it to make contact with cords to charge. I took it to a place to get it fixed. $80 later I had a brand new charging port thingy but the speaker didn't work. People could call me and I could talk to them but they couldn't talk to me. 2 days without communications on a business phone and trying to run this dude back down that fixes phones and I ended up buying a new 10XR I think it is.

Apple has out ran their coverage with this thing. The old 6S I could unlock with my thumb driving down the road and holler at my truck and make a phone call. This one has the face recognition thing. I have to raise it up and stare into it to unlock it. If you stick your tongue out at it sometimes it won't unlock and then you have to punch in the secret code.

Rule number 1 about new shit. If it ain't broke, make it more complicated to use.

Shouldn’t have your hands on your phone while driving anyway.

OP: If it’s an iPhone you can use iTunes to create a backup (should be doing this anyway) and then restore to the new phone.

Quote Originally Posted by yatesville88fan View Post
    kyskipper I bet there is a way to disable that face deal. Call apple support for help.
    Yes. I have a 10XR and don't have the face id on. You can change it in settings under Face ID & Passcode, I believe.

13. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 5keepers2 View Post
    Get a new battery off Amazon or internet for $12-15 and chances are good you will be good! New battery probably fix glitch problem.
    ^^^^^^THIS^^^^^

14. Member
    Batteries Plus will normally swap out your battery for 50.00 or less.

15. Member
    I bought a used phone from Gazelle, going on one year, zero issues, and looks like a new one. I will never buy a new I phone again.

You need to make sure the new phone is unlocked and compatible on the Verizon Network not all phones are. If both of those are good then yes Verizon can swap it.

Check Out Swappa.com you can fine a deal there sometimes.

Just to throw this out when you were getting the "free" phone you were still paying for it they had it built into the phone bill.

17. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    In our city we have an iOutlet store [Apple repair and refurbish]. As stated above, refurbished units look and act just like new and carry excellent warranty as well. I’m a technology junkie myself, but still satisfied with my iPhone 6. The battery eventually swelled and had to be replaced, but for $49 my phone has a second lease on life, and I’m good to go for several more years. Very glad that so many feel the need to have the latest versions of phones, because it opens a whole niche of slightly used or refurbished phones at reduced prices.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio