Thread: Prior Lake

Prior Lake

Anyone here familiar with Prior Lake or fish there recently? I'm flying out this Thursday for a few days at one of my buddy's places on the lake and would like to know how the fishing has been and if I can bring any of my lures with me for the trip? I did a search but it came up empty.

If anyone has any reports or is willing to share what I should expect for this coming weekend, it would be much appreciated.

Alain

2. Member
    It's not the lake it was in the late 90's and early 2000's. With that said, there's still a ton of fish there with the occasional big fish. This coming weekend there will, or should, be a big push shallow. Get the polarized glasses out and have fun.

I haven't been on it yet this year but can help with a little general info. Upper Prior (the SW half) is somewhat stained, Lower Prior (NE) is crystal clear, even moreso now that it has zebra mussels. We've had a fairly cool spring so far and the lake is deep so I suspect most of the fish to be pre-spawn although it does have several shallow spawning bays. Lots of small bass with some bigger fish as already mentioned. Lots of vegetation and it can be very busy on the weekends. It's a metro lake with practically every square inch of the shoreline developed.
    There was a time that I didn't fish but I cannot remember it.

Thanks guys! Looking forward to it.

5. Member
    We had our annual opener tourney out there on Saturday and while the boat traffic is now crazy the fishing was great. We had a 6 fish limit and 18 boats showed up. Fish weren’t on beds at the time but the were starting Sunday. The top team had over 22lbs. 2nd had 21, 3rd 20, 4th 19, and 5th 18, then a handful of 15lb bags. It’s coming back and lots of good fish to be had. Our club tourney last summer took 19 3/4 to win for 5 fish, 18 for 2nd, 17 for 3rd and so on.... there are both a lot of fish and a lot of big fish starting to show back up.

Had a great trip on Prior, we had a couple/few fish that were pushing close to 4lbs and numbers were crazy. What I didn't mention was that we fished from a pontoon so were really at the mercy of the wind all weekend. Heading back out for Music Fest next month!

7. Member
    Glad to hear you enjoyed your day on the water. Prior really shows its true colors in the summer. You'll have an even better time when you return.