Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Megabass Orochi XX Diablo Spec R Gen 2 Issues

Anyone else here have issues with a Gen 2 Orochi XX Diablo Spec R?

I got one soon after they came out and loved it. First or second trip out with it the tip snapped off about six inches from the top while landing a 5.5 lber. Megabass replaced it promptly.

Last Saturday night I snapped the tip on the replacement in the same place boat flipping a dink. I've never broken any other rods that I've owed and take good care of my rods. Not sure what I'm doing wrong with this one.

I had the same problem with a Megabass Destroyer Hein. I have spent a small fortune on Megabass rods and have come to the conclusion that all the hype is just that.There are rods out there that are just as good and a lot cheaper.Give G Rods a look, they won't disappoint you.Now let's wait for the Megabass spokes people to come on and self justify the product.

3. Member
    You aren't doing anything wrong, it's the rods.

4. Member
    I would not flip fish period. Rods aren’t meant to bend and carry that kind of load like that.

I have only broken one rod ever and that was my own fault. I hit something behind me when I casted.

If you want to boat flip fish all the time like the pros do buy something cheaper. Unless you can afford to pay to replace broken rods as when you do a warranty claim I am pretty sure boat flipping fish is not something that is covered.

5. Member
    Yup , boat flipping will stress out the blank bigtime.

6. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    Assuming Megabass doesn't have a bad batch of blanks, if the replacement broke in the same spot I'd be looking at where and how the rod is stored when it's not being used.
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

Very sorry to hear of your issues. Please make sure you use the warranty pro to ess same as you did prior. All rods that are being reported as damaged or broken are tracked. We are able to use that information to see if there is an issue in manufacturing, shipping and so forth. We are able to track it by a state level as well to see if a particular region is seeing more issues.
    As a whole there are very few defective MB rods compared to the numbers sold. That being said it sucks when you have an issue with a product you bought so please give MB the chance to get involved to make it right.

Also want to add if I can help in any way to please let me know. Again my apologies.

Thanks, Mark!

I've always had good luck with Megabass products and just wanted to see if anyone else had the same issue.

Last time I had to wait several months to get a replacement because (I quote from the email I got from Megabass USA) "We got down our last Orochi XX Diablo Spec R to send to you and tested it out, and the tip snapped off." That got me wondering if this is a widespread issue or just my luck.

Quote Originally Posted by timoH View Post
    Thanks, Mark!

I've always had good luck with Megabass products and just wanted to see if anyone else had the same issue.

Last time I had to wait several months to get a replacement because (I quote from the email I got from Megabass USA) "We got down our last Orochi XX Diablo Spec R to send to you and tested it out, and the tip snapped off." That got me wondering if this is a widespread issue or just my luck.

No widespread issues that I know of and I try to stay in the loop on anything like that. The fact that you got that reply is indicative of what I mean, they take any report of defective product seriously and test remaining stock etc if they see a complaint come in. Its the only way to contstantly improve and stay ahead. We see very few issues across the board but occasionally something happens. They will get you fixed up shortly. Again let me know if I can help.

11. Member
    Maybe I need to keep my SS and Spec R Gen 1's that are still new in the wrapper. Didn't know the Gen 2's had issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Big-Bass1 View Post
    Maybe I need to keep my SS and Spec R Gen 1's that are still new in the wrapper. Didn't know the Gen 2's had issues.
    The Gen 2's have no issues. I challenge you to find many complaints on them etc defect wise. Really are seeing ultra low breakage numbers with them.

13. Member
    I own a Diablo Spec R, Perfect Pitch and Whipsnake and have zero issues.

14. Member
    I received my Shakyhead today and unfortunately snapped the tip, same place as you, setting up a rig. Never even got a cast out of it. I immediately submitted a warranty claim and hope to receive a replacement to fish soon.

Quote Originally Posted by bunz559 View Post
    I received my Shakyhead today and unfortunately snapped the tip, same place as you, setting up a rig. Never even got a cast out of it. I immediately submitted a warranty claim and hope to receive a replacement to fish soon.

Thats not normal in regards to breaking out of the tube. Was the tube damaged in any way? Was it in the zippered case in the tube?

No matter what you will have no issues getting it swapped. That is one of the first Shakeyhead models I have heard with breakage. One of the first rod I've heard break out of the tube as well.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post
    Thats not normal in regards to breaking out of the tube. Was the tube damaged in any way? Was it in the zippered case in the tube?

No matter what you will have no issues getting it swapped. That is one of the first Shakeyhead models I have heard with breakage. One of the first rod I've heard break out of the tube as well.
    Nope, no visual damages out of the tube and yes in the zippered case. I ordered a EMTF as well, packaged and shipped same way and it seems to be ok. Time will tell once I get out on the water with it. Contacted the vendor I purchased from and he's helping me take care of it. Thanks!

Nope, no visual damages out of the tube and yes in the zippered case. I ordered a EMTF as well, packaged and shipped same way and it seems to be ok. Time will tell once I get out on the water with it. Contacted the vendor I purchased from and he's helping me take care of it. Thanks!

If you need assistance just let me know. Thanks and I bet you have no further issues.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post
    If you need assistance just let me know. Thanks and I bet you have no further issues.
    Any reason why Megabass may have not responded yet? I emailed them on Thursday. Given it's only been 4 days, 2 days that were the weekend, I've heard of Megabass usually getting back within 1 day. LOL! Maybe a holiday or training day for the company.

Any reason why Megabass may have not responded yet? I emailed them on Thursday. Given it's only been 4 days, 2 days that were the weekend, I've heard of Megabass usually getting back within 1 day. LOL! Maybe a holiday or training day for the company.

I will check. Shoot me your contact info so i can put a name with it. Its rare that emails are missed but I will verify that they got it or not. In the meantime it might help to send it again just in case.

Thanks

20. Member
    I got the Diablo Spec R, broke about a foot from tip first trip out. That was after the rod started turning in the handle. Unfortunately I bought it from an angler who had just won it in a charity tournament and didn't want it, so Megabass will not honor the warranty. So I'm out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast