Thread: Ultrex issues

Question Ultrex issues

All,

I did a bit of searching on the boards here regarding some Ultrex issues I'm having. I found similar issues, but not exactly the same. Let me explain...

I installed my new 80# Ultrex on my Champion about 3-4 weeks ago. Initially, everything worked flawlessly. First two times on the water, I had no issues at all.
    Third time out, it started to disengage spot lock on it's own sometimes. Probably only happened twice on this trip. Each time it did, it would make the four rapid beeps like it does when you initially power the motor up. I think this is just an indication that the "self test" has been run and all is OK. I could be wrong though. I would also have to "re-pair" the motor to the heading sensor each time it happened.

Fourth time out, it did the same thing, only more frequently. I could always get it to "reset" but it probably happened 10 times on this trip.

Last time out (Sunday), it happened many times and eventually got to where it would not engage spot lock at all. Here are some info points:

1. Batteries are brand new. Bought and installed at the same time the Ultrex was. New Duracell AGMs from Sams.
    2. Batteries were 100% charged prior to leaving for the lake each time.
    3. When the "disengage" happens, the motor makes the four quick "beeps" like it does every time I turn it on.
    4. Sunday, during all the issues, the motor began to do the four "beeps" very often, even with spot lock not engaged. It was infrequent at first, but became more rapid through the day. Towards the end of the day, it started to happen every few seconds, and eventually quit beeping altogether. Now, it won't beep at all, even when you turn it on.
    5. When I hit the pairing button on the heading sensor now, it flashes rapidly (about 2 Hz) for 20 seconds then goes off. No flash every three seconds like before.
    6. The remote says "motor not found" and cannot pair with the motor.
    7. The motor will now run, both with "constant on" and the foot switch, in the STOWED position. I don't think it should do this.
    8. "Manual" operation of the motor works fine.

My suspicion is that I've had a "slow" failure of the mother board in the head of the unit, but I'm open to any other ideas or diagnoses. I'm going to call MK Customer support here in a bit and see what they say, if anything.

Please let me know any thoughts on this. Thanks in advance guys.

2. Member
    If it runs while in the stowed position, it will need a new controller. Needs to go to a warranty center to be repaired under warranty.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

Got my boat back Friday from RMP. All is well. Apparently the iPilot control module in the head of the TM was the culprit. It didn't fail instantaneously, but it did degrade RAPIDLY prior to failure.

BIG shout out to the team at Russel Marine Products for getting it troubleshot and repaired quickly to get me back on the water. GREAT customer service from these guys as usual. If you guys have problems or items to purchase that they can help with, I highly suggest you give the Russel, Josh and the team at RMP a call.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mizzou211 View Post
    Got my boat back Friday from RMP. All is well. Apparently the iPilot control module in the head of the TM was the culprit. It didn't fail instantaneously, but it did degrade RAPIDLY prior to failure.

BIG shout out to the team at Russel Marine Products for getting it troubleshot and repaired quickly to get me back on the water. GREAT customer service from these guys as usual. If you guys have problems or items to purchase that they can help with, I highly suggest you give the Russel, Josh and the team at RMP a call.
    And what did I say was the problem in the above post?
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonestrollingmotor View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Jonestrollingmotor View Post
    Oh I knew you were right...never doubted it. RMP is just a 30 minute drive for me.