Quick Question on Trailers...

Guys,

I have a 2008 Z20 and i can't figure out a couple trailer issues (I have a gremlin in the wiring affecting the surge brakes and left directional) and the bunks need work (the side fender ones). I was pricing out trailers and wanted to know of any companies that you would consider if buying a new trailer. I have reached out to my dealer to get me a cost for a new Ranger trailer and i have a quote from Loadmaster. Anyone else I should consider?

Scott
    Scott Doughty
    2022 Skeeter ZX225 - 2022 Yamaha 225 SHO
    Salem, NH

2. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    I wouldn’t consider any make other than Ranger, because they are built extremely well, are superior in terms of loading the boat onto the trailer, and enhance the residual value of your rig. That said, the problems you report with your current trailer are relatively minor, unless there are other issues you haven’t mentioned. Side bunks are easily replaceable—just order from Ranger and install—and you could have entirely new wiring put on your trailer for less than the shipping cost alone on a new one. If your trailer still looks decent, my advice is don’t throw out the baby with the bath water.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

3. Member
    X2

4. Member
    ok, thanks guys. The boat is in AWESOME shape, so I was just looking at getting a trailer to match vs. putting band-aids on it. Quote was for about $1,000 to have my dealer do everything vs. $5,800 for a new trailer.
    Scott Doughty
    Salem, NH

5. Member
    There is a nice Ranger trailer for sale in Misc. Check it out looks good.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by doogie01801 View Post
    ok, thanks guys. The boat is in AWESOME shape, so I was just looking at getting a trailer to match vs. putting band-aids on it. Quote was for about $1,000 to have my dealer do everything vs. $5,800 for a new trailer.
    Hey Scott, if I'm reading your original post correctly it doesn't sound like the issues are too severe with your existing trailer? I'm no mechanic (I'm an accountant lol), but I've done some similar work to my 04 single axle trailer myself (with some help from a buddy) and it really wasn't too difficult. I just recently re-did my pigtail wiring mainly to make it look more professional (heat shrink wrap) and in the process found some issues that needed attention - ground wire wasn't attached to frame, splice connections not solid, etc. Trailer wiring is pretty straightforward, lots of schematics and videos available on the internet to help. I had previously revamped most of the connections to the various lights on the trailer and got everything working correctly. Having a multi-meter tester was a big help to identify any issues - if there's power to the wire at the connection, it's likely a faulty light - if not, need to trace back to where it's interrupted. I also replaced my bunk boards (put boat in at ramp and left tied up, did the install work in the parking lot after having gotten new mounting brackets from Ranger and made the bunks at home), and removed my fenders to address some peeling armor coat and rust - I didn't replace the fender bunks as they were in good shape, but did replace all the rivets with stainless nuts/bolts/washers. I guess I was willing to spend time instead of $1,000 to have someone else do it. Just a thought - best of luck! Feel free to ask if there's any specific info I can provide... Marc
    2004 Ranger 619VS

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mibassranger View Post
    Hey Scott, if I'm reading your original post correctly it doesn't sound like the issues are too severe with your existing trailer? I'm no mechanic (I'm an accountant lol), but I've done some similar work to my 04 single axle trailer myself (with some help from a buddy) and it really wasn't too difficult. I just recently re-did my pigtail wiring mainly to make it look more professional (heat shrink wrap) and in the process found some issues that needed attention - ground wire wasn't attached to frame, splice connections not solid, etc. Trailer wiring is pretty straightforward, lots of schematics and videos available on the internet to help. I had previously revamped most of the connections to the various lights on the trailer and got everything working correctly. Having a multi-meter tester was a big help to identify any issues - if there's power to the wire at the connection, it's likely a faulty light - if not, need to trace back to where it's interrupted. I also replaced my bunk boards (put boat in at ramp and left tied up, did the install work in the parking lot after having gotten new mounting brackets from Ranger and made the bunks at home), and removed my fenders to address some peeling armor coat and rust - I didn't replace the fender bunks as they were in good shape, but did replace all the rivets with stainless nuts/bolts/washers. I guess I was willing to spend time instead of $1,000 to have someone else do it. Just a thought - best of luck! Feel free to ask if there's any specific info I can provide... Marc
    Thanks Marc - I think I am going to take a run at it myself. Fingers crossed!!!
    Scott Doughty
    Salem, NH

8. Member
    Look at your license tag bolts. I have had wires get pinched behind the washer and short out the brakes. Embarrassing but does happen.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by doogie01801 View Post
    Thanks Marc - I think I am going to take a run at it myself. Fingers crossed!!!
    No worries, you'll be fine! And then you'll know a lot more about your trailer when you're done!!!
    2004 Ranger 619VS