To deep for bass - 2D in deep water

A few screenshots from my latest outing, way to deep for most of you guys but who knows, maybe a pelagic troller comes passing by. ;) Depth in meters. so multiply by three to get feet. Temp in celsius. Equipment used here is Lowrance Sonarhub with Airmar TM185HW connected to Lowrance HDS Gen 3, all running latest software.

Everything in auto exept the watercoloumn which is set to 20-40 meters since that is where the action is. Ping is 14 and scroll is 1/2:

Notice the change here, still in auto-mode. But I`m viewing the whole watercoloumn and it is 20-ish meters deeper. Result: less resolution than in the screenshot above.

Resolution is about more than the number of pixels in your screen. It is also about the resolution within the processed sonar-signal (target-seperation) and how much of the watercoloumn you are looking at. These three add up, so having a full HD-screen will not give you any value if your target seperation is crap or you are trying to view 3000 meters of watercoloumn at once. With my combination of Sonarhub and TM185HW, there is a drastic change in resolution when depth exceeds 80-90 meters, and from there and towards even deeper water I switch to manual mode to combat that.

Her I`m going from auto to manual mode, notice the difference in resolution.

When putting your sonar in manual mode, the signalstrength is adjusted to the range you set as depthscale, while in auto it is adjusted to whatever the sonar thinks is bottom. Even with chirp, that means greater depth = less resolution. So the next time you venture out in deeper water, but is mostly interested in pelagic-species, try using your sonar in manual-mode and adjust the depthrange.
    Last edited by Team Colibri; 06-14-2019 at 04:49 AM.

2. Member

3. Member
    Curious - bait or gamefish in 20-50 range?

4. Member
    Wow good to know. Thanks!

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 184SuperV View Post
    Curious - bait or gamefish in 20-50 range?
    Baitfish.

6. Member
    what map is that? I like the coloring and been trying to do that with my navionics but no luck.
    Chad Snow / Massachusetts
    2007 Ranger Reata 210 - Mercury Optimax 225 (#1B446134) - 12' Talons
    Carbon12’s @ Bow w/ AT- live 12 w/ 3D & live 7 @ Helm

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowedin3 View Post
    what map is that? I like the coloring and been trying to do that with my navionics but no luck.
    This is my own map made using Reefmaster software (board sponsor) and my sonarlogs. Sort of like C-Map Genesis, only you do everything yourself on your PC.

It works with Genesis Live to, here is an example from another lake I fish:

8. Member
    Living the good life on Lake Hartwell, Fair Play, SC
    dam talented to do your own mapping! I'm impressed and I really like that.
    2013 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

9. Member
    Thanks Ally!
    I started doing my own maps a good decade ago, back then using Garmin and the IMG-format, then mowing on to Lowrance and Humminbird with Dr Depth with LCM-format before Reefmaster and Insight Map Creator entered the game with AT5 and that is what I have used since. Around here, there was no mapping in freshwater back then so making your own was the only way to go.

10. Banned
    Cool...that is some pretty sonar return in your last image....is that an airmar?

11. Member
    Thanks. :)

Yes. All of these are with Airmar TM185HW.

TM185HW left, HST-WSBL right.
    Last edited by Team Colibri; 06-14-2019 at 04:48 AM.

12. Member
    Great info & pics Thanks.