Lost 4-5 mph out of no where

Went on a run this past weekend and it seems the boat lost 5-6mph. Running a 25 tempest (yes i know its too small, its my fishing prop) on a 225 proxs on a 94 209. Previous best with this prop was 76.4 solo with a little left in it, right on the limiter.

Had the perfect conditions, 60 degree air temps. It had rained that morning so the boat was a bit heavier I would guess with the carpet pretty soaked. Bilge pump was kicking on throughout the day as it drained.

I tried the jackplate at every setting I had and it just wasnt having it. 69 change at 5800 rpm. Interestingly the higher I brought the plate the slower it went. When my jackplate is all the way down its about 5" below pad. I brought it as high as 2" below and it never improved. The boat never chine walked, it usually does around 70. It never even bumped the limiter once and it should have several times on this run. I was pegged to the floor. I will say i was also running with a passenger, but should I expect this much speed loss from this? Nothing else has really changed, same about of fuel, gear, batteries etc. Motor feels strong throughout the rpm range, but it just hit a wall at 68 - 69.

With this combo the boat has gone well into the 70s with passenger and same load. My first thought is I am not getting full wide open throttle but it never had that issue before.

Your thoughts?

If you're auto bilge is kicking in, there's a bunch of water in the hull. It can't pump it all out...you'll have to pull the plug. That, plus the air was humid, reducing HP.
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

a Tempest is god awful at carrying a load...
    meaning they are very very deceiving about performance when LIGHT vs adding some weight to it, BECAUSE they dont offer Transom lift like a 4 blade...
    the Fury 3 blade is a bit better because of the Flare on the barrel, BUT it still suffers from added weight like the livewells being filled OR a full tank and passenger versus light...
    if you will stick to the 4 blade props, you will NOT notice near the drop in performance from weight changes...
    Bravo XS 27P
    Trophy 25-27P
    Fury
    4 26P
    Sterling 22XS / Mercury Pro XS V8

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by low slung cruiser View Post
    a Tempest is god awful at carrying a load...
    meaning they are very very deceiving about performance when LIGHT vs adding some weight to it, BECAUSE they dont offer Transom lift like a 4 blade...
    the Fury 3 blade is a bit better because of the Flare on the barrel, BUT it still suffers from added weight like the livewells being filled OR a full tank and passenger versus light...
    if you will stick to the 4 blade props, you will NOT notice near the drop in performance from weight changes...
    Bravo XS 27P
    Trophy 25-27P
    Fury
    4 26P
    So you think its prop related due to being a bit heavier? I will say the boat was probably the heaviest Ive ever tried doing a good speed run, although I felt it shouldnt of affected it that much.

100%
    tempest is known for that precise problem...
    and gamblers need transom lift more than bow lift
    Sterling 22XS / Mercury Pro XS V8

6. Member
    Your hull deinately likes a 4blade best, we rigged 26 @ 27 powertech props from our dealership on that hull with 225 promax (2.5L) Tempest props work very well loaded or unloaded on my intimidator but you cannot compare a 209 performance with anything but another 209, apples to apples.

Ive had that exact same problem but it happened with a 27 trophy. Put my 276 tempest and the speed came back. Pretty sure my 27 trophy was worn out.
    Burning the candle at both ends.

8. Member
    have same boat and motor. tried a lot of props. use to sell gamblers. live not far from the factory. know them well. I run 26'' fury. it will give you stern lift. what you need!

9. Member
    I agree with LSC here, a good Trophy Plus will work wonders. My boat liked the 27 Tempest worked Solo, add a partner and loose 2 MPH. Then switched to a 26 Trophy B&B with Cup added and had the same top end solo as the tempest but carried the load better, better holeshot, handling, etc. I believe in have the right prop to start then tweaking it with mods to that prop with one of the known prop work guys(Croxton). The props also need to be reworked every so often if you fish a lot.