Unhappy EFI 175 Mercury BEEPS when I hit Wakes. Why?

The other day, for the first time ever, I went across a boat wake and heard an alarm Beep. It was a series of beeps when I would try to accelerate but stop if I let off the gas. I went home checked the oil, checked the oil float and it was fine. I changed the spark plugs and the water fuel separator. Went back out and it was fine for 2 trips. On the way home last night I hit a wake and heard a very short Beep which made me think it's trying to creep back in. Any ideas? I replaced the oil reserve about a year and half ago FWIW.

1999 Mercury EFI 175 0G868708

More than likely the cap on the small oil resevoir, under the cowling is cracked. It has the sensor built into it, but its very common for them to break and do exactly what your describing. If it is cracked, you have a mess to clean up under the cowling. Happened to me twice in the last ten years. I keep a spare cap in the boat now
    Ranger R81VS, Mercury 175EFI w/ 25 Tempest

Thanks man. I'll look under there tomorrow. I replaced that thing not too long ago. I made sure not to over tighten it when I replaced it because I cracked the other one that way. How do they get cracked so easily?

4. Member
    make sure mtr tank is full
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    make sure mtr tank is full
    the reserve tank is about 90% full.

Quote Originally Posted by adriandavidpayne View Post
    Thats not a reserve tank. Your big tank feeds that little guy which feeds your motor. If it is not filled to the brim it will start to chirp at you. Check your big tank and make sure its not out of oil and fill it up while your at it and top off the small tank. Problem should work itself out once the small tank is 100% full
    Ranger R81VS, Mercury 175EFI w/ 25 Tempest

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by adriandavidpayne View Post
    If you mean the on engine tank (which is the reserve tank), it must be 100% full, no air present. Bleeding procedure from the FAQ - Bleeding air from the Engine Mounted Oil Tank
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverFox579 View Post
    If you mean the on engine tank (which is the reserve tank), it must be 100% full, no air present. Bleeding procedure from the FAQ - Bleeding air from the Engine Mounted Oil Tank
    +1

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor