Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Takes forever lining up ball to hitch - any ideas?

I don't want to smack the ball against the hitch so I have to get out of the truck when by myself and inch closer. If off to right or left, I have to hope I can straighten the trailer closer to the ball by lifting and pulling. What a pain! There's got to be a better way!

2. Member
    Backup camera. Exactly why I want one.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tanner101 View Post
    Backup camera. Exactly why I want one.
    This, or get the two yellow balls on telescoping rods that attach to trailer tongue and ball mount

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

My 2011 F-150 had a backup camera and my 2019 Ranger has a backup camera. Once you have one you will never be able to do without it. There's plenty of aftermarket options out there. Once you have one you won't be able to do without it.

6. Member
    I bought a camera a few years ago. Paid $50 at the time. It's an Auto-Vox M1. Easy hook-up, large screen and out of the way camera lens. Pic looks "washed-out" because of phone camera flash but it's really clear. Adjustments for 'Guide Lines' and brightness/contrast too. Third pic shows where camera mounts. Bought it from Amazon.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My truck has a backup camera but I put a board behind the driver's side rear wheel so that when I hook up the next time, I just back up to the board. Been doing this long before I had backup cameras.
    2006 Triton TR-21 XD, Mercury 225 Pro XS, S/N 1B287870

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeky View Post
    This, or get the two yellow balls on telescoping rods that attach to trailer tongue and ball mount
    Use them and they help somewhat but with the tailgate of the truck closed, the balls don't work. At present I have an aluminum pole sticking up that's leaning against the hitch that I can line up with the center top of the closed tailgate (IE a sight rod). Anyone ever use this?:

Quote Originally Posted by Bob G. View Post
    My truck has a backup camera but I put a board behind the driver's side rear wheel so that when I hook up the next time, I just back up to the board. Been doing this long before I had backup cameras.

10. Member
    no back up camera, the yellow balls work great. A couple of times and you will get the feel and hit it correctly every time.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SPOONMINNOW View Post
    Use them and they help somewhat but with the tailgate of the truck closed, the balls don't work. At present I have an aluminum pole sticking up that's leaning against the hitch that I can line up with the center top of the closed tailgate (IE a sight rod). Anyone ever use this?:
    If I have to use this I'll just stay home, if you ain't already got enough to worry about last thing is forget to take those damn sticks off and the yellow plates lol.

12. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Honestly, just look at the gap and watch how far you move the truck. I hook up a trailer almost every day and seldom need a third adjustment. All the gizmos are just something extra to hunt for.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    Honestly, just look at the gap and watch how far you move the truck. I hook up a trailer almost every day and seldom need a third adjustment. All the gizmos are just something extra to hunt for.
    Me too.
    i just leave the drivers door open and focus on a mark on the ground after I walk back and observe remaining distance.
    You Don't Know what you Don't Know until you Know.

1984 Champion 201/Yamaha 175
    1986 Ranger 390v/Yamaha 200
    2002 Viper Cobra Coosa 216/Mercury 225EFI
    2002 ProSports ProKat 2200/Twin Yamaha 150HPDIs

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 21XDC View Post
    These work great, I have no problem seeing them above my tailgate.

15. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 21XDC View Post
    I used these before I bought a truck with a backup camera. They work excellent.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nova Kaw 650 View Post
    I used these before I bought a truck with a backup camera. They work excellent.
    Agree! Will have to pick up a pair since mine were stolen. Better than nothing though I do have to take the tailgate off so I can see them better. What a pain!

17. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SPOONMINNOW View Post
    Agree! Will have to pick up a pair since mine were stolen. Better than nothing though I do have to take the tailgate off so I can see them better. What a pain!
    I bought a set up here in Canada that were extendable. No tailgate is too high.

18. Banned

19. Member
    Agree with you John, I've backed up trucks (and station wagons) and even medium duty rollbacks (flatbed tow trucks) to trailers since the 70's and never had to get out of the vehicle more than once. Just takes a bit of awareness where you are. Once you have a look, then when getting back in the vehicle make a mental note on the ground how far you have to backup. Keep the door open and if you need 8", then make a mark with your foot, and sight it as you're backing up. Boats are fairly easy because you can jerk them side to side if they're off a touch.

That said, my Silverado is the first truck I've had with a backup camera (and it's a darned good one at that). Don't ever want to do without one from this point! But backing without one isn't that hard.

There is another way though, it's called the Never Miss Hitch System. Just back up and bang into it till everything is centered. Didn't want to post a link, (outside vendor). But it's out there, and even has a video on You Tube.
    Later,

Dixie Chicken

If your boat is in a garage just get it close and roll the trailer by hand onto the hitch?
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast