Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cmb View Post
    I bought a camera a few years ago. Paid $50 at the time. It's an Auto-Vox M1. Easy hook-up, large screen and out of the way camera lens. Pic looks "washed-out" because of phone camera flash but it's really clear. Adjustments for 'Guide Lines' and brightness/contrast too. Third pic shows where camera mounts. Bought it from Amazon.
    I bought one of these from Amazon as well. I paid $35.00. Best $35 I ever spent. No more going in and out of the truck. 30 minute install time max.

2. Member
    In addition to the aforementioned sight aids, another tip to help you inch the tow vehicle with precision is to use both feet when backing up. There's a lot of slack in the torque converter and I find that the vehicle can overshoot the mark despite our best efforts. By applying the brake with your left foot, and using your right foot to give the engine some gas, you can move the vehicle very slowly either forwards or backwards with exceptional precision. Modulate the movement by releasing just a bit of brake pressure as you maintain enough gas to roll the vehicle in the desired direction. Takes a bit of practice but it's worth the effort.

3. Member
    I would never buy a truck without a backup camera again. Best thing since sliced bread.
    2017 Z521C with Evinrude G2 250 HO
    2020 RT198 with Merc 150 Pro XS

4. Airborne/Infantry bassnman81's Avatar
    Another tip is just turn your steering wheel a quarter of a turn. Most guys are over correcting on every movement of the wheel. This applies to when the trailer is hooked up too. When backing the trailer place your hand on the bottom of the wheel and the direction you move your hand is the direction the trailer will go. Again, just use small quarter wheel turn and you will be surprised.

Lake Norman, N.C./New Britain, CT.
    An Khe 66-67

5. Member
    Keep your eye open for a used Trailer Valet and start bringing the trailer to the truck. I have a backup camera and I bought a trailer valet to move the boat into the garage. I just backup close to the garage and use the trailer valet to bring the trailer to the truck.
    2015 Ranger 1880 VS Angler
    2015 MERCURY 150HP
    (Model #:1150F23HD Serial #:2B135781)

6. Scraps
    Backup camera, get it, today. Next to the trolling motor tray, best accessory I've bought.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

Quote Originally Posted by Fishysam View Post
    If your boat is in a garage just get it close and roll the trailer by hand onto the hitch?
    I usually have to slide mine a few inches either way also

Got a GoPro? You've got a backup camera already. I've got mine mounted on a magnet mount that I can attach to the bumper, and wi-fi the signal to my phone in the cab. There is a slight delay in the signal, so creep/stop/creep is needed for final approaches.

But honestly, I tend to use the eye-ball methods described earlier: I back within a foot, get out once to check exact distance, then open the door and hang my left foot out to use my toe as a guide, and creep backwards visualizing the distance needed. Quick and easy, and 1st shot accurate probably 95% of the time.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LOSTTEXAN View Post
    Me too.
    i just leave the drivers door open and focus on a mark on the ground after I walk back and observe remaining distance.

ditto, prior to the new truck with BU camera. love the camera.

10. Member
    Get an iballhitchcam and be done with it. You can get a reconditioned one for about $150 on their website. I absolutely love it and I got mine used from a member here on BBC for $75 about a year ago. Couldn't imagine life without it......
    1994 Ranger 492VS
    2004 Optimax 225 - 0T920364
    6" Hydro Dynamics Manual Jack Plate
    24p Fury 4
    24v 47" Lowrance Ghost / Lowrance HDS

11. Member
    I was pretty good prior to using my back up camera. A backup camera will put you spot on every time.

In the old day I would back up to about a foot from the hitch. I would then get out and make sure I was on track. I would the keep the drivers door open and mark a spot on the ground. Worked all the time.

I know other people that love the yellow balls.

12. Member
    Practice...hitching up a trailer and backing up a trailer should be second nature,some folks seem to over think some of the simplest tasks in life.
    Last edited by JTN; 06-10-2019 at 07:14 PM.

iBall was my choice and I love it!

14. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JTN View Post
    Practice...hitching up a trailer and back up a trailer should be second nature,some folks seem to over think some of the simplest tasks in life.
    Actually, backing a trailer isn't second nature unless you typically do everything backwards. It takes practice for everyone, some more than others.

Just need a reference point, On my last chevy with no back up camera. I'd line up the 3 bolts on the inside of the tail gate on the boat. I always got close enough.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12