Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

How "Available" is your FIRE EXTINGUISHER ??

How "Available" is your FIRE EXTINGUISHER in case you would need it NOW ?? I've seen in other boats and also was in mine, that the Fire Extinguisher is in the front locker right in front of the drivers console. I've also noticed in theirs and also in MINE, that there was an abundance of Bait boxes, jackets, towels, and other miscellaneous gear/stuff that would have to be moved or thrown around to access the FIRE EXTINGUISHER !! God help us in case of an Emergency !!! SO, after careful consideration of the available places to mount it that is out of the way, yet immediately accessible, I chose to mount it on the inside front part under the passenger console. It's been there for numerous outings and has yet to be dislodged accidently and I feel a whole lot safer !!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

2. Member
    I'm guilty of having mine in the rod locker... In fact its in the rod locker in a plastic container so it's out of my way and not rolling around. I didn't want to put anymore holes in my boat....

I know it's unsafe to not have it out and ready at a moments notice but it's really an eye sore mounted in plain sight. Eventually I'll mount it somewhere in the rod locker... I guess.
    Collins Boating Pro Staff - Smithfield, North Carolina
    JeffreyDavisFishing.com
    | YouTube | Facebook | Instagram | NC Bass Challenge

In plain sight and easily accessible from either seat in my boat.
    Has its own molded cradle and is held in place with a 2" Velcro strap. Can be removed with one hand.

4. Banned
    Mounted horizontally between driver's seat and starboard side of boat.

Right next to my left knee under the drivers console in it's holder. The newer boats with modular, floating consoles are the ones I don't see any good place to mount one.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffreydavisjr View Post
    I'm guilty of having mine in the rod locker... In fact its in the rod locker in a plastic container so it's out of my way and not rolling around. I didn't want to put anymore holes in my boat....

I know it's unsafe to not have it out and ready at a moments notice but it's really an eye sore mounted in plain sight. Eventually I'll mount it somewhere in the rod locker... I guess.
    Imagine the eyesore your boat would be if it caught fire and you couldn’t put it out in time. Fish don’t care how your boat looks.

7. Member
    My last 2 boats came from the factory with the fire extinguisher installed in a forward starboard storage box. I believe they are supposed to be out in the open but I've never had anyone say anything and my boat get inspected just about every lake I go to.

- 2019 Ranger Z185 - Mercury 150 Pro XS

Similar to the pictures posted but under the drivers console and mounted to the floor. When sitting in the driver's seat my hot foot is on the far right and my fire extinguisher is on the far left.

Even more important if you have a dry chemical extinguisher is to rotate and shake them up a bit every so often. I had a guy come in one time with a 5yr old unit burned because nothing but air came out

xpress x19, 200ho G2, aluminum sawtooth cut prop, paper sack tackle storage, ugly stik pro team, color c-lector

Right under the driver and passenger seats that flips up.
    '94 Charger Foxfire 180VF '96 Suzuki DT150S BASS

Mines buried in the storage compartment behind the drivers seat. If my boat catches fire I jumping in and swimming to shore and I'll file an insurance claim.

12. Member
    I have always wondered if some of the types of fires you might encounter in a boat can even be extinguished. An electrical fire might be ignited deep in the fiberglass somewhere and a gas fire could be under the rear cover of the boat. Both hard to get to.

How to actually put out a boat fire might be a great topic.

13. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by PumaDave View Post
    Mines buried in the storage compartment behind the drivers seat. If my boat catches fire I jumping in and swimming to shore and I'll file an insurance claim.
    I'll be right beside you stroke for stroke... Fiberglass tends to burn fast and hot... Dan

Quote Originally Posted by alli ss View Post
    Even more important if you have a dry chemical extinguisher is to rotate and shake them up a bit every so often. I had a guy come in one time with a 5yr old unit burned because nothing but air came out
    Great tip for home and truck mounts that all should be aware of and practice often as the dry powder which most portable extinguishers are, is very prone to "cake up".
    In my area its a non issue in a boat as they get shaken on a regular basis.

15. Member
    I'm never opening the rear compartment if there is smoke coming from under it. My co angler has the fire extinguisher under his console if he wants to fight a fire, I'm going overboard.

16. Member
    I was on the way to the lake one day down in central FL, stopped in the morning for ice and snacks at a gas station and 2 old fellers vehicle had smoke pouring out from under the hood, they opened it to see what was going on and all hell broke loose , fortunately I was able to grab my extinguisher from the boat that was easy to get to and put out the fire for them. So having an extinguisher handy may help benefit someone else. Crazy parts was those 2 old dudes said thanks, cranked the engine and proceeded on down the road with there boat in tow.

17. Member
    Right in front of drivers seat mounted to floor, just have to reach down and unstrap it.

In the same place. Id do the same thing

Triton 19 XS Elite, 225 Mercury Pro XS, Minn Kota Ultrex 112, Hydrowave H2, Twin 8' Power Pole Blades, Power Pole CHARGE, Lowrance HDS 12 and 16 at console, Lowrance HDS 9, Garmin LiveScope at bow, Mercmonitor, Rigid Industries Deck lights and other stuff to come that will make me go more broke

19. Member
    I keep mine mounted on the front of the console in plain sight in its factory mount. I think having it visible to Marine Patrol has probably saved me from being "ramdomly selected" for inspection on more than one occasion.

20. Member
    Same. Also in the box it came in inside a large plastic box.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast