Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ultrex steering transmission slack/play

How much is normal? I just spent 3 hours pulling the old fortrex and installing/wiring/running cables. While running cables and manipulating the motor by hand to check my cable slack I noticed a very worrisome amount of play in the steering housing. I just ordered the thing last week. Please watch the video below and tell
    me if this will be better on the water or if I need to pull it back off and get it to a service center.

Don't like it either but thats about normal.
    The shaft has to be able to slide inside the collar, so it has some play. The collar has to rotate inside the housing, so it has some play. Both of them will only get worse with extended use.
    Maybe not the best design but its all we get for now.

Mine does not have any play in it. did you read the instaltion manuel, the correction is in there, simple adjustment most likely on the bottom of the pedal
    Thank You Leon Pugh

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lpugh View Post
    Mine does not have any play in it. did you read the instaltion manuel, the correction is in there, simple adjustment most likely on the bottom of the pedal
    read the manual just fine, tension screw is torqued 12 in-lbs, any other suggestions Leon?

5. Member
    The below video shows where the slack is and it’s most certainly not in the cables.

Take in in for waranty
    Thank You Leon Pugh

Quote Originally Posted by lpugh View Post
    I want to see a video like above of your unit that has NO PLAY..
    An ASC is going to tell you basically the same thing I did in my first reply.

8. Member
    I don’t doubt you fireman I just thought it was odd that you go through the offset calibration when there’s so much slop in the steering seems pointless it’s alrwady set up closer than the slop. Also the metal parts directly on the shaft bother me, it seems like there would be a uhmw or delrin bushing.

Agreed -- there is room (pun intended) for improvement.
    The aluminum is soft enough it does not seem to hurt the shaft material.. I have worn out several Terrovas over the years and they have the same thing but less surface contact and they just get more slop with heavy use. I may spend some time this winter to do some type of shimming. However it may need a certain amount of slop to keep from breaking something else. Like a built in shock absorber; if you will

Just checked my Ultrex that I got in December. It has zero play. It takes some effort to change the deploy depth.

The video is no where near "normal".
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

11. Member
    Thanks Wayne. I just wish I had noticed it before I got the thing installed. I’ve got an email into Russell marine but I’m sure since it’s already installed the only recourse is for me to drive the 2 hours to a service center. I’m beyond frustrated. I should have listened to all the naysayers because Minn Kota most certainly still does not have their stuff together.

12. Member
    Mine has been like that since day-1. Little annoying but just figured there’s a reason for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Murph McB View Post
    Mine has been like that since day-1. Little annoying but just figured there’s a reason for it.
    Yours mine and all the rest that I've been around !

14. Member
    I haven’t pulled the date code on mine but it is 2019 production. I wonder if this is limited to the 112s? Justin at Russell Marine Products (they are amazing by the way he emailed me first thing this morning and checked every boat he had in his shop) said everyone he had had the same amount of play. It does seem like it would shift and rattle every time I press the momentary button. I would like to hear more users to see if they have play. After I get on the water this weekend I will update again.

15. Member
    Got the 80lb 52” mine has the same amount of play..
    2005 pro team 185
    2005 opti 115
    21” spitfire x7
    Bobs machine 6" action hydro jackplate
    8’ power pole blades

16. Member
    All the parts you're looking at are produced the same. All the shafts have the same width notch in them and all the steering sleeves are cast alike. They all have some play.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonestrollingmotor View Post
    All the parts you're looking at are produced the same. All the shafts have the same width notch in them and all the steering sleeves are cast alike. They all have some play.
    John
    thank you for the response John. I thought mine was excessive. Called a few buddies and they claim their’s are very tight. It’s a 50/50 split here so far. I guess we chalk it up to half of us just have OCD?

I still want to see a video of those that have..
    "no play" or "Mine does not have any play in it."

It does seem like it would shift and rattle every time I press the momentary button.
    With the motor in the water it has enough resistance you don't notice the "shift and rattle" as much as when on the trailer.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post
    With the motor in the water it has enough resistance you don't notice the "shift and rattle" as much as when on the trailer.
    makes sense and good to know. I will stop looking for problems that aren’t there and just enjoy my new motor

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast