Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Member
    Another words his wife found out her car is sitting outside and a boat is going in. LOL Shame on him for not getting measurements first.

2. Member
    For all you know he took it home and started it up in the yard and overheated it or something stupid like that and now wants it to be your problem. I sold a boat to a guy once that was a total idiot and despite telling about all the boats he had owned, had no idea how to use it and knew nothing about boats. Probably the right thing to do is take it back and just write it off as being the bigger man but you never know what the truth might be. I’d probably err on the side of caution.
    Bullet 21XD, 250 PRO XS

What kind of paperwork would have to happen once you sign the title over? Would you essentially have to buy it back and pay taxes?
    how would something like this even work?

4. Member
    You can't stop payment on a cashiers check. It's his boat now. Once it left my house, there's no telling what may have been done and I would not take it back. It's too bad he didn't measure, but that is his mistake.

2005 Champion 198 DC Elite
    2005 Mercury Optimax-225hp (Serial#1B073011)

5. Member
    that is the whole reason for a cashier check to have guaranteed funds if I spent the time to do the sale lake test an paperwork he would need to be looking for some dry storage or his new boat sounds like a case of buyers remorse .

6. Member
    The buyer has to be a man and stand behind his words and/or handshake. It is not your job to extricate him from his stupidity. I doubt if the shoe was on the other foot he would do the same. It is the buyer's lesson to learn, not yours. And to try and welch on a deal by text... he's a boner.

7. Banned
    Yeah I’d tell TEXT him back and tell him money is already spent. No way I’d take it back.

8. Member
    Couldn’t he just find a storage place to keep it ?

9. Banned
    I find it hard to comprehend that someone would actually try to do that. I’d text him back with

10. Banned
    IF you decide to take it back as a favor to him he needs to pay for a full check at your approved mechanic paid for by the "buyer".

My guess is that he has jacked the boat up somehow and now what’s to give it back to you. No way I would take it back.

Cash the check & explain to your bank what happened. Like other's have stated he can't stop payment unless the check is lost, stolen or destroyed. If you wanted to you could offer to buy it back & charge him a hell of a restocking fee...LOL.
    TGIFish
    USAF ('79-'00)
    '01 Cobra 201D

13. Member
    Be careful as others say he might have screwed something up. Have him pay to have a mechanic evaluate it before you even consider it. I would be really careful about tax implications too. He did buy the boat so does t he owe taxes? If you buy it back would you owe taxes? Maybe if he did not have it registered in his name that does not matter.

14. Member
    Spotsylvania, Va. 22553. Near Frederi mm lcksburg, Va
    My advice (sage wisdom) is you have to live with your decision. You have options. Pick one that fits your conscious.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Transom View Post
    Be careful as others say he might have screwed something up. Have him pay to have a mechanic evaluate it before you even consider it. I would be really careful about tax implications too. He did buy the boat so does t he owe taxes? If you buy it back would you owe taxes? Maybe if he did not have it registered in his name that does not matter.
    This

16. Member
    Buyer beware. You sold the boat in good faith, and he drove off with it. Most folks already know the size of the garage space they have available before buying a boat. If not, it’s on them. As said previously, make sure the buyer didn’t mess up the boat if you decide to let him return it. The other alternative is to tell him to make up another for sale sign and get on with it.

Sounds like the wife didn't approve of the purchase

18. Member
    oh yeah, almost forgot; charge a 30% inconvenience/restocking fee and see if he’ll go for it. I bet he won’t. Time is money, and he’s waisting yours.

19. Member
    No storage facility in his area? Be cautious
    Last edited by Hoffy1337; 05-26-2019 at 03:48 PM. Reason: spelling

Both the drawee and the depositary bank should take note of this special rule. Since the bank money order is a cashier's checkequivalent, it is NOT possible to place a stop payment on it. However, if it is lost, stolen, or destroyed, the Section 3-312 claim procedure may be used.
    2019 FX21 LE
    2019 Sho 250
    Humminbird Solix 15
    Humminbird Solix 12
    Humminbird Helix 12
    ML
    Ionics
    Ultrex iLink

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast