Talon negative line extension

I need to splice and extend my negative wire in my two talons. Switch is in one location and battery another. I believe I should not solder but use a waterproof connector and shrink wrap over. Anyone know what size wire would match the existing talon negative wire? The positive is fine it goes to my battery selector switch.
    thanks!
    jeff

Look and see if the ground wire is the same size a the green alarm wire. Per: installation guide the green alarm wire can be extended but the wire must be no smaller than 18 AWG. If the alarm wire is the same size as the negative wire then I would think the same would apply...I want to make sure I understand your post...you are running the positive wire through the disconnect correct? The negative wire goes directly to the battery. Here is a post I made about wiring a few weeks ago...http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=981657

Here is a copy/paste about what size wire to use on the alarm.

Connecting the optional Deployment Alarm: If connecting, the user
    must install a wire from the switched side of the 12V ignition power
    back to the Green Auto Alarm Wire. This wire should be no smaller
    than 18AWG. Cut off the sealed end of the green wire and splice the
    green wire to the user installed wire. Make sure to use adhesive filled
    heat shrink to waterproof this splice. Verify that 12VDC is present at
    this splice when the key switch/ignition of the boat is in the ON
    position and that no voltage is present when the key switch/ignition of
    the boat is in the OFF position. When properly connected, this feature
    will sound an alarm only when the ignition key is turned on AND the
    Talon is not fully retracted.

As I said if it's the same size as the negative then I would go by what the installation guide for the alarm wire recommends. As for the joint I solder then use heat shrink and cover that with liquid electrical tape.

3. Member
    Ok so I have the two positives going to my perko battery selector/master switch behind the starboard side. It is in the same area as my cranking battery. I have to put my second battery behind the port side. I do not have the green wire hooked up. I would like to run the black ground/negative wire about 5 or six feet to the second battery. If I understand you I need 18 gauge wire? Is that the large wire with all three colors or just the black? Can I get just the black or do I need to slip is out of the large wire? Thank you for your help. I can never get pictures to upload her but can try.

Sorry but I am still a little confused...it sounds like you have two talons based on the statement " I have the two positives going to my perko battery selector/master switch". Here is the statement that has me confused..."I would like to run the black ground/negative wire about 5 or six feet to the second battery". It most all cases people run all wiring to just one battery.

In the event you were to have them hooked to seperate batteries then do not share positive or ground. If you are using two batteries then isolate the individual wiring of each talon to one battery. One talon goes + and - to one battery and the other talon goes + and - to the other battery never share + or -.

5. Member
    So I have a Lund with a 200 verado. I had all my electronics etc going to an optima blue top 34m battery. Life was good. Then I added two 12 ft talons. The draw had me dead in the water several times. So, I have added a master switch that is perko, allows me to select battery one or two or both or off. I added another battery an agm as well, but It won’t fit next to the main battery. It is about 6ft away. I have the two batteries in parallel. My purpose in the second battery is to run my talons and have as a back up to my cranking battery. The positives from both talons go to the perko switch, which is next to my main battery. I need to extend the two black talon wires that go to the negative on the second battery, which is 6ft away from the switch. Make sense? I’m pretty sure my wiring is fine I just don’t know what size wire to splice into the existing black wires from my talons. The ones that go to the negative post. thanks

Most wires will have the AWG size wrote on them. If you can't find any size information wrote on the wire just cut off a 1" section and take it with you to wherever you going to buy wire and get the same size.

7. Member
    Ok thanks!