Which line for hyper long cast reel?

We have deep, clear, highland lakes around here. I catch fish, but rarely any size to them. I’m thinking the boat is probably spooking them and want to be able to hang back and make longer casts.

I’ve bought a Daiwa HLC reel and am wondering which line will cast the farthest? Or cast long distance most easily?

i have mono, copolymer, braid, and flouro.

I have a large bulk spool of YoZuri 12# hybrid, it’s my go to on casting reels but if something will make long casts better I’m willing to try it.
    Tracker Panfish 16

Bonafide EX123 Kayak

2. Member
    I’ve always had the best luck with casting distance with braid. For baitcast I’d go down to 15lb and spinning down to 10lb
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

3. Member
    For me, mono or copolymer will cast farther than flourocarbon because softer. That said, only line I use other than P Line Flourocarbon is Berkley Sensation copolymer. Great line.

4. Member
    Ardent Gliss. I can bomb lures with the 40 lb. It gets largely overlooked due to price and people have issues with the 24 lb and under size, but the 40 lb is my go to for long casts.
    2016 Ranger RT188, Yamaha 115 sho, dual console, 80# Ultrex, hotfoot, networked HB Solix 10 & Helix 9, Mega 360. Powertech NRS3 18p, Atlas 4" jack plate.

5. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    I have set ups that cast better with 12lb Big Game than anything else. This question is very rod/reel/lure dependent.

I agree with the long cast theory, especially on heavily pressured or clear waters. As Drew often points out, forget the lb test rating and look at diameter. I use 40lb Sufix 832 braid, 12lb Big Game mono, and 10 & 12lb CXX copoly, the diameters are all pretty close.

On my lipless rod nothing casts further than the mono. It surprised me but I’ve done the testing.

CXX casts pretty long but it always takes a good number of casts for it to limber up, lose its memory, and get wet. I will get an extra 10-12 turns of my handle after I’ve thrown it for 15 minutes or so.

One thing I do after every fishing trip is hook my lure to my mailbox and walk about 100 yards of line off and make sure it’s tight on my spool. During the day the line can get pretty loose on your spool leading to trouble and lost distance.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Casslaw View Post
    I have set ups that cast better with 12lb Big Game than anything else. This question is very rod/reel/lure dependent.

I agree with the long cast theory, especially on heavily pressured or clear waters. As Drew often points out, forget the lb test rating and look at diameter. I use 40lb Sufix 832 braid, 12lb Big Game mono, and 10 & 12lb CXX copoly, the diameters are all pretty close.

On my lipless rod nothing casts further than the mono. It surprised me but I’ve done the testing.

CXX casts pretty long but it always takes a good number of casts for it to limber up, lose its memory, and get wet. I will get an extra 10-12 turns of my handle after I’ve thrown it for 15 minutes or so.

One thing I do after every fishing trip is hook my lure to my mailbox and walk about 100 yards of line off and make sure it’s tight on my spool. During the day the line can get pretty loose on your spool leading to trouble and lost distance.
    Tie on a large bill crankbait cast out or cast and troll away...reel it in. Instead of dry land reeling it in.
    You should know that in bee tending if you don't shut your trap the bees will get out.