casting braided line leaving the spool issues

I have have a switched over to braid on my chatterbait and swim jig rods. I am using a Curado d/c and a Steez A. Both reels have a backing of Mono on them.
    I have 20lb.braid on them.
    My issue is when I cast pretty hard the line coming of the spool rewraps back around causing a tangle and stopping my cast. The other day I casted a jack hammer off
    and it flew about 300 yards.
    I have tried adjusting my reels but it is not helping. It happens I would say 40% of the time.I can always get the tangled area out pretty quick. Line kind of digs into itself on the spool. If I cast lighter it is not an issue. but I really like to bomb out my lures to get the distance just to cover water. I always used fluorocarbon before .
    Do you guys have any of these issues?

2. Member
    Go to a bigger braid, it won't dig in as bad as the smaller tests.

Agree with Ben. Larger diameter braid will cast smoother without digging in as bad.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

4. Member
    I will try 50lb. braid then and see what happens. Don't want to go to heavy though because I will probably lose casting distance. Thanks

5. Member
    Try 30. I’ve thrown topwaters on 30lb power pro and never had a problem. 50 is pretty big, diameter wise. I wouldn’t want to throw a chatterbait with it. You’re mileage may vary, though.

6. Member
    Had a buddy having the same issue. He was filling his spool up too far. When I put braid on my reels I don't fill the spool up as far as I would with mono or flouro. Don't get me wrong, I still fill the spool up, but maybe 1/16 of an inch less than with mono, or flouro. Also, as others have mentioned upping your line size. 40lb braid is as small as I go. If you're worried about line visibility you can always go braid to flouro leader (this is what I do). Currently using 50lb braid to 17-20lb flouro leader.

7. Member
    I was also having this problem with 30 lb braid stepped up to 50 no more issues casting distance was barely affected.
    2023 Phoenix 819 pro
    2023 200 Pro XS 4s 3B373365

pond boat
    2020 pelican Bass raider 10E

8. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    I stayed at 30 for a good year but this would happen often still so I moved to 40 Sufix 832 and no more issues! With 40 (which is on my chatterbait, spinnerbait, topwater, swim jig, squarebill rods) the line doesn’t dig into the spool on a hard hookset. That was always an issue on my swim jig rod. 40lb 832 seems to fit my needs perfect.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

I have found that the heavier the braid, the fewer the problems with digging in, over runs, wrapping around the rod tip, and wind knots. I use 65# for things like jigs and plastic and 50# for what few casting techniques that I use braid for, such as frogs, buzzbaits, and lipless. I believe that anything under 30# is asking for trouble on a baitcaster.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

10. Member
    I use 20lb on 90% of my baitcast reels and rarely have a problem. Adjust the spool tension knob to slow the bait throughout the cast and it’ll be good. Casting distance won’t be affected much if the breaks are adjusted good
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

11. Member
    Ok yeah so maybe put a little less line on the spool and go 40lb. minimum. Thanks for the insight guys. It makes sense

50 lb braid is the same diameter as 12 lb mono. That's easily the lightest you'd be throwing a chatterbait or swim jig on anyway, plus braid will generally outcast mono or fluoro for a given diameter.

I really wish they'd stop rating braid in terms of lb tests. It'd make things a lot simpler.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

13. Member
    From experience, 30 will still do it if you’re not careful. It won’t break off as often the though. I think what I’ll be doing in the future is just buying a bulk spool of 50 and using it for everything.

One thing I didn't mention above is that making sure to spool it up under as much tension as you can will help with this to some extent. It at least stops the braid digging in down deep on the spool. It still doesn't change the fact that small diameter braid (or superline in general) will dig in. I think this is why Berkley was (is?) so adamant about Nanofil, which is only available up to 17 lb test (he says right after complaining about companies using lb test ratings on super line ), being only for spinning reels

Quote Originally Posted by Lape0019 View Post
    From experience, 30 will still do it if you’re not careful. It won’t break off as often the though. I think what I’ll be doing in the future is just buying a bulk spool of 50 and using it for everything.
    Not a bad way to go. For what it's worth, the Chinese knockoff braids are really high quality nowadays. It can be had in bulk spools on eBay for crazy cheap.

Just be careful on what carrier (number of strands) you get - for example, if you like Super Slick or 832, you'll want to make sure to get an 8 carrier to get something comparable - and you can get good stuff for super cheap. I bought some knockoff a couple years back just to see, figuring that I would get junk and wouldn't be out much. Amazingly, it was flawless. I've been buying it almost exclusively now. Even found some 9 strand stuff this year that, if it's not identical to Berkley X9, is missing one hell of an opportunity to be. The "different" low-vis green color (sort of has a bluish hue to it) you see on the new Berkley braid relative to other brands' low vis green is even the same!
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

15. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    Drew that’s a great point! After I spool a rod with braid, and after every fishing trip, I hook my lure to my mailbox and walk off 100 yards. Then I reel it back on under tension. This helps a LOT with line digging in on a hookset, having those weird wind knots, and gets rid of a lot of line twist if there is any.

I do it with my mono and copoly rods as well but much less tension!

My neighbors think I’m a nutball but whatever!
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV