2011 Mercury 115 Optimax leaking oil...

I've done a search for Optimax oil leaking issues but haven't found one that fits my situation directly... I'm looking at my neighbors 2011 190tx with an Optimax hanging on the back. The boat never gets used, and I mean never... so I made an offer to buy it but when I looked over it there was gas/oil mix or straight oil possibly that had run out of the exhaust port in the mid (it has been sitting for a year or two probably). I haven't pulled the cowl off yet (maybe this evening) so I don't know if there is res in the belly pan and maybe leaking down from there but it does look like its coming from the exhaust. I've had Merc's in the past but only EFI's and carbed motors so any info or tips as what to look for would be greatly appreciated. I will have my local mechanic run it over before I buy it for sure though. Ive owned 8 boats over the years and even when they sat for several months none ever leaked fuel/oil or oil out like that... Thanks in advance for any help.
    Last edited by unclemark; 05-26-2019 at 12:36 PM.

2. Member
    Going to have to pull the cowling and see where it might be coming from and we can go from there. Could be the oil pump itself, that has been a major problem with Merc's for several years including my 2012. Wish they would step up to the plate and recall them. It's been sitting for a long time for some reason. Don't try to start it until you find the leak and drain the old gas. Drain the gas from the separator and tank and change the fuel filter. If anyone else has any suggestions please chime in.

The reason it has been sitting is because of various non boat issues (health and family) that began not long after its purchase. I've seen that in carbed motors that sat for periods of time while trimmed up. This ability to leak like they do doesn't seem to cause any motor health issues though does it?

I walked over and took a few pictures. The more I look at it the more I think it is not coming from the exhaust port but rather from above the rubber grommet and leaking out around it. When you pull the top of the grommet down it is wet above it. the belly pan (where I can actually see and touch it) seems to be pretty darn clean so I'm not certain where it might be coming from in there but maybe someone can point me in the right direction. If everything works out, I think i'll take it to my mechanic before I even try to start it for a test ride. I asked and it has sat for the past two years without being started or used heck the prop and skeg don't even have a single scratch on them. Don't know why the darn pictures wont rotate so my apologies for that lol clink on them and they will turn the right direction.
    IMG_1724.jpgIMG_1725.jpg

Turned out to be the oil pump itself. Looks like the seals hardened after sitting for several years allowing it to begin leaking.

6. Member
    Maybe but there are three allen head screws on the left side of the pump. Make sure they are tight. Mine was leaking and those three screws were loose as a goose.

7. Member
    check um
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

Will do! Thanks guys.