At what point will minn kota give you a replacement talon?

I have had my talon for about 6 months, I have only used it three times now. First issue was that the housing had a paint defect from the factory. They sent me a new housing and replaced it for free. Then after actually installing it on my boat the bluetooth didn't work. Turns out the mother board was bad. After the mother board was replaced it would only show it being deployed a total of 8 feet when actually it was out the full 12ft. Service center needed to reprogram it still. Well now today the spike only deploys and thats about it. I have had nothing but issues from day one from this thing. I feels like I got a demo or something. Never had I had some many issues with a product in my life.

2. Member
    I feel for you I have your talon brother. Put on in Feb of this year port side has worked fine no problem. Starboard side had a bad motherboard from the start. In April took it to the "repair center" stayed 5 weeks got it back all scratched up I think he left it in the floor the whole time. But it worked "1 trip" . Took it to the lake last week it will not work at all. I called Minn Kota talked to a nice lady told me to take it to repair center .I told her no and why she told me to send it in and write a note about the scratches . Not sure what they plan to do about it .
    LIFE IS GOOD
    STILL CAN'T CATCH A FISH.

3. BBC SPONSOR
    Ray, call MK and tell them you demand a new one, explain the issues in full detail and tell they you are tired of it. As a dealer for them, they always make us take everything to a certified MK service center, its always their answer for everything.
    FTO Marine Supplies
    BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by G3Ray View Post
    I have had my talon for about 6 months, I have only used it three times now. First issue was that the housing had a paint defect from the factory. They sent me a new housing and replaced it for free. Then after actually installing it on my boat the bluetooth didn't work. Turns out the mother board was bad. After the mother board was replaced it would only show it being deployed a total of 8 feet when actually it was out the full 12ft. Service center needed to reprogram it still. Well now today the spike only deploys and thats about it. I have had nothing but issues from day one from this thing. I feels like I got a demo or something. Never had I had some many issues with a product in my life.
    It is common practice that the ASC is to repair the Talon with issues. When boards are replaced they have to be calibrated to the length of the Talon. Paint problems are included or any other issues. As difficult as it maybe it is a good idea to perhaps box it up and send to Minn Kota. I had a customer with the same issue ans I called Minn Kota and asked for assistance to repair. They did the repair and the customer never brought it back with any issues. Some times things get overlooked and causes issues. It is the nature of the beast. Be patient and your issues will be taken cared of.

5. Member
    Well luckily my ASC is going to fix it. I ran into one of the guys who worked there and they told me that MK told them to send it off to Bassman25 to get fixed the first time I had an issue with my housing.....That is all that I needed to hear from MK, how is Bassman25 going to fix my Talon? Send me a new one????? Thank goodness that my ASC stuck up for me. They are going to fix it for me and hopefully I should be getting it back this week.

6. Member
    Little update, my ASC has my talon since last month. It is now at MK. They said they would replace it if it equals half of the value of the talon. My ASC had it for two weeks and couldnt fix it. Damn thing will only put out 4 ft then stops. I will call tomorrow and see the status.

7. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    let us know Ray

8. Member
    UPDATE: unbox my Talon today, My entire housing from top to bottom looks like someone took 50 grit sand paper and ran it top to bottom. The black "Talon" decal I had made due to the one on the replacement housing being installed poorly is torn. The chrome letter on the side are rubbed down to the black plastic. It looks like someone dragged my talon behind a car. I have a few deep scratches on the side that were never there since my housing was brand new. At this point it is my Service dealers fault straight back to Minnkota itself for not giving a damn about my Talon during shipping. MK will be hearing from me on Monday.

9. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by G3Ray View Post
    UPDATE: unbox my Talon today, My entire housing from top to bottom looks like someone took 50 grit sand paper and ran it top to bottom. The black "Talon" decal I had made due to the one on the replacement housing being installed poorly is torn. The chrome letter on the side are rubbed down to the black plastic. It looks like someone dragged my talon behind a car. I have a few deep scratches on the side that were never there since my housing was brand new. At this point it is my Service dealers fault straight back to Minnkota itself for not giving a damn about my Talon during shipping. MK will be hearing from me on Monday.
    Ready for Poles Ray?

10. Member
    Got off the phone with Minnkota and after explaining what happened to my newly rebuilt talon they are going to send me a brand spanking new one. You can best bet that this thing is going straight up for sale. I appreciate them finally replacing it for me. Time to search for a nice set of used power poles. Ill wait a few before a new set. Esp considering they have the best customer service in the market.

11. Member
    yup they better pull there head out and start making there customers happy I have talons humminbird and mk but I'm sure my next boat will have there competitors on it. Just saying

12. Member
    Yep, get the new Talon and sell it immediately. Take the $$$ and buy a power pole. I saw a guy at the boat dock with a talon that was bent to the side. He said he couldn't get it to raise and had to run in with the talon deployed or be late for teh weigh in. He totally destroyed it. Meanwhile I was running down the lake and my buddies who I fished with indicated to me that my power pole was down and i was on full plane and going about 65mph. Stopped and raised my power pole with absolutely no issues. Left it down numerous times since and never an issue other than I ground down the spike about 3" (which they replaced with no question).