Battery keeps dying!

My starter battery dies after 4 hours of fishing. It’s a brand new continental 1000 cranking and 180 reserve. I have 2 solixs one 10 and one 12. And my aerator runs off of it too.
    21xdc bullet
    250 pro xs
    28 Croxton bravo
    ultrex
    humminbirds

2. Banned
    http://www.continentalbattery.com/products/235

The battery is too small for your usage, also try turning down the backlights on your units to conserve power.

3. Member
    I only ran one graph today
    21xdc bullet
    250 pro xs
    28 Croxton bravo
    ultrex
    humminbirds

4. Member
    What battery would you recommend without spending a ton
    21xdc bullet
    250 pro xs
    28 Croxton bravo
    ultrex
    humminbirds

Napa commercial 7234 (or 7235,7236,7237) depending on your needs
    2021 Phoenix 920 Elite / SHO 250
    Bullet 21XD / 250 XB (Gone to a great home in LA)
    "There is no such thing as a bad day fishing!"

6. Member
    The lands of the former Republic of Texas
    180 RC minutes if true is typically fine for most boaters and with high CCAs well more than is needed for cranking an engine several times and running just one graph in a day.

Check with a voltmeter that the charger allows the battery to start the day fully charged and that the boat motor is putting out recharge when at speed throughout the day. If all good have the battery tested.

If needing replaced, I would pass on using an auto store 'commercial' calcium lead wet cell for a recreational marine boat. A 195 RC commercial battery though a bit larger capacity when brand new is simply not going to make much of any difference long for you if you are somehow now discharging a 180 RC standard lead acid battery. Life cycles for deep cycled calcium lead commercial batteries is poor.

I don't find Continental branded marine battery with a 1000CCA and 180 RC......what is the model number?
    Last edited by Lou r Pitcher; 05-26-2019 at 10:30 AM.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 21xdc95bullet View Post
    What battery would you recommend without spending a ton
    Step over to the Merc 3 Liter forum and check the FAQ pinned at the top. You will find that most of the recommended batteries for the big 3 liter engines are group 31 AGM's with a LOT of MCA/CCA and, most importantly RESERVE Capacity.

8. Member
    Btw I didn’t start having issues until I went from helix’s to solixs.
    21xdc bullet
    250 pro xs
    28 Croxton bravo
    ultrex
    humminbirds

Solix draw more amps than helix.
    Last edited by J Risco; 05-25-2019 at 09:20 PM.

10. Member
    Yes I know that, but dang! They surely can’t draw that much more and like I said I only had 1 graph this morning. I’m gonna check and see what voltage I have after it’s full charged
    21xdc bullet
    250 pro xs
    28 Croxton bravo
    ultrex
    humminbirds

Quote Originally Posted by J Risco View Post
    Napa commercial 7234 (or 7235,7236,7237) depending on your needs
    I purchased this battery after seeing a couple of post on here claiming how good they worked.
    Took the first one back when it failed to start my rig after fishing a spot or 3.5 hrs with two helix 12s and aerator running on auto.
    They said the battery tested fine but ordered me a new one anyway. Since then I monitor the volt gauge continuously and have not been impressed with how quick it draws down.. Just my findings----- will not get another for this application.

Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post
    I purchased this battery after seeing a couple of post on here claiming how good they worked.
    Took the first one back when it failed to start my rig after fishing a spot or 3.5 hrs with two helix 12s and aerator running on auto.
    They said the battery tested fine but ordered me a new one anyway. Since then I monitor the volt gauge continuously and have not been impressed with how quick it draws down.. Just my findings----- will not get another for this application.
    Interesting. Not doubting you at all but this is the first time I have heard anything negative about them. Quite a few guys have told me it's the best battery they have ever used after I suggested trying one.

The one currently in my boat is over 3 years old and I can run 3 graphs and aero all day and it still cranks like it just came off the charger (that was on my SHO too, not just this little ole Intruder haha)

Hope they didnt change them! When did you try one?

Bought the first one in Feb and they replaced it in April.

To complete the story this 3.2 ltr is an absolute beast to start>> The manual requires a min 1000 amps. After having issues getting it started on cold mornings I did some research and found on the Mer. forum (batteries that meet the requirement) the two (so called) 1000 amp batteries I had used did not meet the requirement.. I almost bought the big AGM from batteries + but went the cheaper route with the NAPA big commercial.
    I also found the hard way a Noco 40 jump box, which should start any outboard, will NOT start this engine.. But a 70 will !!

14. Banned
    You are charging it when you get home?
    Dead in 4 hours indicates not fully charged or a bad battery. How low is the voltage when it won't turn the big motor over?
    The motor not starting in the morning and needing a monster battery is another concern........ is it a built engine; i.e. high compression and/or lots of timing advance?