Degrees, minutes and seconds to Degrees and decimal minutes to Decimal degrees

Makes my head hurt!!!!!
    Wonderful bookmark for ya!
    https://www.directionsmag.com/site/latlong-converter/

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 5keepers2 View Post
    Makes my head hurt!!!!!
    Wonderful bookmark for ya!
    https://www.directionsmag.com/site/latlong-converter/
    I had to deal with some of that when I was trying to make a gear using a rotary table. Not the right way to do it but I figured I would try.

I gave up and bought a dividing head .

3. Member
    There is an easy formula for this, example 50.36.11 (deg/min/sec). 11/60=0.1833+36=36.1833/60=.6030+50=angle of 50.6030
    Bullet 21XD, 250 PRO XS

4. Member
    Uh this is a bass boating forum. Lol
    05 198scx champion 225 merc pro XS
    95 202dcx elite champion 225 merc efi
    95 181dc champion 150 xr6blackmax merc

5. Member
    Push the correct button on the calculator, I work with it about every day.

6. Member
    This is a bass fishing forum!
    You look on Google earth and find a place you would like to fish. The GPS coordinates are in in Decimal degrees. The GPS unit on your boat is Degrees and decimal minutes.
    With the link an easy conversion. Best one I have found.

7. Banned
    About two clicks on the calculator you can convert it. No formula needed. If I could post a picture on here I could show everyone how to do it

8. Member
    In 1997 I took a 13 week course given by the Coast Guard ...on Advanced Navigation and Seamanship. I believe the cost was only 150 bucks. Many showed up with their handheld GPS units for the part on navigation. First thing the instructors did was make them put them in their vehicles. Some wanted to argue about ...this is the tool of the future. The instructors explained...Let's say your boat took a lightning hit and disabled all electronics... how are you getting back to port when are you 100 miles out in the Gulf? Most had no idea of how map co-ordinates and distance was measured. I have been on the water and owned a boat my entire life, starting at age 11, and figured this course was probably useless to me. Had to pass a 200 question test upon completion. Best course I've ever taken. I received a card upon graduation with a rating on it. The instructors never really explained the rating, other than to tell us it was worth a 5% reduction in our marine insurance. I went with my wife to Solomon Island Md, when she worked for a nuclear division and had to go up to Calvin Cliffs. I figured I would bring some fishing equipment and fish for stripers. I went on the naval base there, because I was told they rented boats. The Sailor there laughed at me when I asked to rent a boat. He stated that a civilian would have to have an equivalent of a Yeoman's rating....and he did not have that. I showed him my card issued by the Coast Guard, and he said wow, you can rent up to a 50 ton vessel with that rating. I told him I just wanted to rent a skiff. I have never seen this course offered again, so I do not know if they do it anymore.

Why wouldn't you just change the format in google earth?...click on your tools tab and change it.

Last edited by dean c; 05-26-2019 at 11:13 AM.

10. RIP Evinrude 1907-2020 JR19's Avatar
    This is something that relates to bass fishing...I found a website that list brush piles, stake beds and other man made fish habitat for my local lake. All cover was put out by the Ky Department of Wildlife. They list the GPS coordinate but the way they had the numbers listed was not the same format as my GPS. I had to convert the numbers so they matched the format of my GPS. I marked brush/cover sitting in my garage buy just entering the numbers in my GPS and saving the numbers as a waypoint. I only done a few and after I entered the numbers I drove to the lake and ran my boat to the coordinance and sure enough I found the cover on my screen. After that I went back to the website and chose more cover that appealed to me. Now I have several pieces of cover marked and never had to take the boat out of the garage...so yes I can see how this conversion pretians to fishing.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dean c View Post
    Why wouldn't you just change the format in google earth?...click on your tools tab and change it.
    NOW YOU TELL ME !!!!!!!!!!!! Had to change coordinates from google earth to match my hand held to find some property lines, man did that take a while to figure out.
    All sheep are eventually led to slaughter

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff La View Post
    NOW YOU TELL ME !!!!!!!!!!!! Had to change coordinates from google earth to match my hand held to find some property lines, man did that take a while to figure out.
    Will be easy from now on I assume

13. Member
    They be some smart folks on this here board.