1250GPH too strong for Livewell?

Got a good deal on some bilge pumps 1250gph. They fit in my Livewell housings so i decided to wire them in. Now i am wondering if they are too strong..

2. Member
    they might have too much volume for your over flow try it an see.

3. Member
    If you are talking about the Johnson series, the 500, 750, 1000, and 1250 all fit the same housings, although the 1250 assy has larger outlets. They work well for livewells. I went from 500, to 750, to 1250 and like the 1250's best. Despite the same fuse ratings, you will have to go up on fuse size for the 1250.

4. Member
    Would probably sink my boat. The overflow would not be able to keep up with the volume coming into the live well.

5. Member
    Are you trying to hose ‘em like riot police? Haha.

I will give it a try. I always fill and then recirculate. Wanted to make the water move as much as possible I guess

7. Member
    You have more pressure and a little higher flow, but the volume difference isn't as much as advertised. Especially with the 1250's as the whole pump has larger fittings. It just happens to fit the 500, 750, 1000, housings.

You can only push so much water through a 3/4 inch hose and fittings. The amp draw is higher for sure.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by 21XDC View Post
    You can only push so much water through a 3/4 inch hose and fittings. The amp draw is higher for sure.
    2nd

Most livewells don’t have an open port for the fill or recerc

Most have a fitting to spray the water into the livewells to increase oxygenation

With the higher volume pump you’re turning that fitting into a water jet that can hurt the fish if they come in contact with the spray not to mention your not getting close to the volume ratting of the pump and straining the pump increasing heat witch increases amperage and lowers the life of the pump
    "The handicapped angler"

10. Member
    I went to the 1250's in the 750 housings 5 or 6 years ago with zero issues. I wired each with a connector and carry a spare pump with the same connector but have never had to use it. I've lost one fish in 15 years and that was before I put in the V-t2 vents.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Holeshot View Post
    Would probably sink my boat. The overflow would not be able to keep up with the volume coming into the live well.
    most aerator systems don't pump in new water -- they take the water in at the bottom of the live well and basicly make a big circle with it.

12. Banned
    be careful. I tried this once and the larger GPH pump looked the same but the "fin" on the bottom was "taller" and wouldn't fit in the existing housing

Quote Originally Posted by Bassbuster95 View Post
    be careful. I tried this once and the larger GPH pump looked the same but the "fin" on the bottom was "taller" and wouldn't fit in the existing housing
    They in and purrring. Just need to water test.

14. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post
    most aerator systems don't pump in new water -- they take the water in at the bottom of the live well and basicly make a big circle with it.
    Well how they get water in the livewell then?? Lol

15. Banned
    Except for the hottest months I seldom run my recirculating pump. On my older skeeter I have to run the full or the recirculating pump. I can’t run both. I find the fish to be much more lively haven’t that constant drag water cooking in. Most of the time I put my fill pumps in manual and just let them run. Just a non stop constant supply of fresh water coming in. Those big pumps would flood my boat. If I had the ability to Run both pumps simultaneously I would. I can’t think of a single reason why you wouldn’t.

Now in the hot summer I do fill, ice, g-juice, and constant recirculate. This fish coming out of 20-30 foot water are a different fish than those living in 10 foot and less

Quote Originally Posted by catch5 View Post
    Well how they get water in the livewell then?? Lol
    They all gravity fill if the valve is opened. Some have a Fill pump, a recirculate pump, and an aerator pump. Some like mine only have a recirculate and a aerator pump.. The recirculate pump draws water from one of the screened outlets in the bottom and runs it to a spigot above the water line. The spigot can be closed which will then pump the water out. The aerator pump draws water from the other screened outlet and venturi's air into the water stream which re inters below the water line.

17. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post
    They all gravity fill if the valve is opened. Some have a Fill pump, a recirculate pump, and an aerator pump. Some like mine only have a recirculate and a aerator pump.. The recirculate pump draws water from one of the screened outlets in the bottom and runs it to a spigot above the water line. The spigot can be closed which will then pump the water out. The aerator pump draws water from the other screened outlet and venturi's air into the water stream which re inters below the water line.
    I’ve owned a hydra sport, ranger, triton, and now a skeeter. Gravity fill would one will only put about 4” of any of them I’ve owned. If you wanted to fill them with more than a couple inches of water, you had to turn the fill pump on.

Your Allison will fill all the way up on gravity alone??

18. mikesxpress

Quote Originally Posted by catch5 View Post
    I’ve owned a hydra sport, ranger, triton, and now a skeeter. Gravity fill would one will only put about 4” of any of them I’ve owned. If you wanted to fill them with more than a couple inches of water, you had to turn the fill pump on.

Your Allison will fill all the way up on gravity alone??
    This one will. The point I was trying to make but did not clarify very well..
    With the valve closed (recirculate) the aerator pump will not over fill the tank.
    Most 750 GPH fill pumps will over flow a tank if you leave them running long enough, so I'm sure a 1250 would do it much faster..