Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Boat turn signals

Maybe it's been asked before, maybe I'm missing the obvious, but why are there no turn signals or brake lights on boats? I can imagine turn signals that automatically turn on when the steering wheel is turned one way or the other more than X degrees. Brake lights interfaced with GPS that light up when GPS recognizes more than an X percent decrease in speed. Maybe turn signals that light up when GPS recognizes X degree turn or change in course.

2. Banned
    If everyone just learned the rules of the water we'd be fine... And most boats aren't equipped with a gps much less a depth finder... Dan

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan21XRS View Post
    If everyone just learned the rules of the water we'd be fine... And most boats aren't equipped with a gps much less a depth finder... Dan
    This ^

The Jon boat, canoe, kayak owners would love the other solution.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BRADVAN View Post
    Maybe it's been asked before, maybe I'm missing the obvious, but why are there no turn signals or brake lights on boats? I can imagine turn signals that automatically turn on when the steering wheel is turned one way or the other more than X degrees. Brake lights interfaced with GPS that light up when GPS recognizes more than an X percent decrease in speed. Maybe turn signals that light up when GPS recognizes X degree turn or change in course.

It's a good thought Brad, especially for rush hour traffic on a foggy day, i.e. tournament blast off when boats in front could telegraph their moves. Could be set up like a 'T' with arrows at the top of the stern running light with red led's at the end, simple switch on dash that toggles left and right. Stopping could be a 3rd option that would flash both? An adhesive wireless switch you could stick somewhere on the dash as to eliminate wiring. Super simple. It'd be smart just to have some flashing light like that for a distress signal at night. What'd you think about that? Lol, call T&H Marine and suggest that to their designers as they just bought a bass boat led company.
    Fish frequently, my friends! ----------<')))><
    2001 Triton TR20, 225L OptiMax, 26" Tempest Plus, Serial No: PT345686

Wait! I haven’t got my seat belts installed yet!
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

Truth of the matter is if you are close enough behind another boat that is on pad and can see the signals you are way too close anyway.
    Last edited by Mark Perry; 05-25-2019 at 12:14 PM.

7. Member

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerFan View Post
    Wait! I haven’t got my seat belts installed yet!

I still think this is a GOOD idea !!
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

9. Banned
    Sorry, You lost me at 'brake lights'

10. Member
    Most people in the Atlanta area don't even use turn signals when they're in their car.

11. Member
    Turn signals?? Uh, do cars have turn signals?

12. Member
    I've been in situations where boats are right, left, behind, and in front of me; each changing direction. I realize there one must stay alert at all times. I realize the importance of boater safety laws and classes. I'm just thinking that it would be helpful to have a wireless boating option that used GPS to automatically turn on a left or right light/arrow/blinker/whatever when your boat changed direction by more than X degrees. It would also automatically turn on a speed change or brake or slow down or whatever light when the GPS speed of the boat changed by X mph, or maybe X percent of your existing speed. Just my .02.

13. Banned
    Brad- Firstly, I'd like to commend You on 'thread maintenance' many folks allow their fruit to die on the vine, You're giving it life..

But come on Brad, brakes on a boat, think that through for a minute. Parachutes?

"The Panel" has seen in their infinite wisdom, to grant You 1 (one) deletion... Mull it over...

14. RIP Evinrude 1907-2020 JR19's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan21XRS View Post
    This...most people are clueless which way to turn when meeting a boat head on during the daytime. At night when they have their lights on if you know the rules of the water you will know how to use the red and green light on the bow to determine which way a oncoming boat is moving. There is already rules and safety features in place if people would just use them. Most are clueless on the proper way to navigate water.

this thread and the "side thing peeled off" thread
    2017 Ranger Z520c "Blackout Edition"
    2017 Mercury Optimax ProXS 250
    HB Solix 12 G3 MSI+, Solix 12 G2 MSI+, Solix G2 MDI+, Solix 12 2d/gps, Ultrex Mega360, Mega Live
    NRA Life Member
    -Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour-

16. Member
    I think it's a good thread. If I'm ahead of other bass boats at high speed I raise or point with one or both arms if I am going to turn or slow down. I do what I can to keep from becoming a statistic.

I don't want to get run over.

[QUOTE=BRADVAN;10294723] a wireless boating option that used GPS to automatically turn on a left or right light/arrow/blinker/whatever when your boat changed direction by more than X degrees. It would also automatically turn on a speed change or brake or slow down or whatever light when the GPS speed of the boat changed by X mph, or maybe X percent of your existing speed.

concept is a good idea but how large would the display have to be to actually see it in front of you

2009 ELITE 210

19. Member
    If I was doing drugs a lot of this (might) make sense. I don't need blinkers on the boat, my defensive driving is taking care of that. I don't need something to slow me down or bring me off plane, if I'm in shallow water slowing down will only make a good situation worse. I don't need lane assist, I have that in my wife's care and it is disabled. I haven't found a good use for seat belts in boat, I'm still trying to come to grips (smh) with that suggestion. I do think one of them little yellow signs on the back of your boat reading "Bass on Board" might keep other boats from tailgating.

Ridiculous.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast