Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Any one using Mend-It Soft plastic glue to save baits or make new ones?

I am rebuilding my tackle arsenal and came across a paper flier from some Mend-it glue I purchased years ago at Sportsman Warehouse. Any way so I googled it by name and the search turned up an interesting video where a guy is using it to make weird concoctions of baits out of bits and pieces or portions of other existing baits on the market.

I am interested in seeing if any of you have any you have made any baits like this and what the results were.

Here is an official add for the glue. I'm not a pro angler by any means and don't have any sponsors so I'm only posting this to share for others who are unaware of this product.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=2VfaoCiR98Q
    '94 Charger Foxfire 180VF '96 Suzuki DT150S BASS

2. Banned
    I've got some... Works for some baits, not so well for others... I've never tried to create my own baits though... I'll buy more when this bottle runs out... Dan

3. Member
    I use it mainly to repair torn frogs and swimbaits.

4. Member
    I use it as well to repair craws. Works just fine. Saved a lot of money repairing plastic baits.

5. Member
    Back in the day, I would take a handful of Mann’s worms (dang that grape smelled good), and cut the tails off a bunch. I’d melt the tails on a different worm body, lighting one end of the worm to melt with a bic lighter. Learned the hard way to do that in such a way that the melting plastic didn’t drip on my leg. But by angling the cut and the melt, or changing the orientation of the curl tail, I created some neat little one-off worms that tricked a lot of bass in my local pond to bite. I was about 10yrs old
    __________________________________________________ _______________
    "If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs."
    -David Daye

I use Mend-It to repair jig and chatterbait trailers. I have some that are probably 1/2 plastisol and 1/2 Mend-It, but the still catch fish! And, it saves me a ton of $$$.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

7. Member
    The best way I’ve found to repair plastics baits is with a hot piece of wire. I heat a straight paper clip with a torch to red hot then touch it to the plastic,it will weld the plastic together. It works especially well on a slot torn in a frog or swim bait. Lay the hot wire in the slot just a second and squeeze the plastic together. Good as new without a hard spot. You can also restore the new bait shine on a worn bait by brushing it quickly with the torch,it’s like a new finish. I’m not quite that poor yet but I had some killer little Swimbaits once that I couldn’t replace so I repaired them until they were just about gone.

Use it all the time on tubes, beavers, craws, and hula grubs.

I have heard about melting the baits with a thin wire and have even heard of a quick heat up type tool like a mini soldering iron equiped with a thin wire designed for repairs of soft plastics.

I read on a different forum that These glues are not suppose to work so good for Z-Mann plastics so maybe melting those with the heated wire trick is a better alternative. I like this stuff because you can save the baits you have while on the water and those times when all the dinks keep short striking and tearing all your baits up. Good to see people recycling their plastics.
    Last edited by Delta Bass Fool; 05-25-2019 at 10:22 AM.

Mend it works good for me and another product called “Fix A Lure” by Spike it works just as well. Never use crazy glue. It creates hard spots where glue was applied.

You can do all kinds of things with Mend It. I keep it handy when I'm fishing with soft plastic frogs. After a few strikes the belly weighted offset hook tears a pretty big hole in the head where it won't stay in position. Stick the brush of Mend it down in the hole and it's like a new bait. I've got some cherished Berkley Powerbait Lizards in a size and color that they don't make anymore. I patch up every one of them after using and put back in the bag. Amazing how long you can make something last when you try.

I have had fun with making freak monster baits like chartreuse pinchers from a Paca or Chigger craw to maybe a junebug color Brush Hog or maybe a Fluke with a swim tail from a worm...who knows...let your imagination go wild.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

12. Member
    I repair my Yamamoto plastics and paddle tail swimbaits with Mend It. Saves me a lot of money.

Keep it stored in your fridge when not in use.

Quote Originally Posted by capt1fish View Post
    Keep it stored in your fridge when not in use.
    Why, does it keep the glue from hardening? The instructions say to keep it at less than 100’F

14. Member
    Mend it. Great product
    Russell Winneberger
    2002 Stratos 20 XL
    ColorVision Painting

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Delta Bass Fool View Post
    Why, does it keep the glue from hardening? The instructions say to keep it at less than 100’F
    Yep. The glass nail polish bottle helps a lot but prior to these glass bottles, the product would dry out if left out. Keeping in fridge deterred that.

I’ve had the same glass bottle Mend It riding in the boat for a number of years and it’s still liquid. The old plastic bottle was only good for one year.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

Yeah when I got it last, it was in a plastic bottle like 12 or more years ago. Glad I saved the paper leaflet in my hooks & rattles box.

18. Member
    Mend it has saved me many $$$ great product ��

I always repair baits days before I want to use them. Mend-it has a strong smell.
    2016 Tuffy X-190
    Yamaha F175, Mercury 9.9
    Motorguide 80 lb Xi5
    Garmim/Humminbird graphs and Talon

Quote Originally Posted by Delta Bass Fool View Post
    kept mine in the boat, lasted about 3 years before it gelled up. Saw a post on another forum about adding acetone to dissolve it, but didn't really help much. I know that mek will work, but don't have any and it is cheaper to just buy a new bottle. I already have a extra bottle in the house, so no big deal and have easily saved 3-4 times more than it cost in repairing baits.
    "It's even, but it ain't settled. Let's settle it." Fast Eddie
    I still can't believe they actually won...Cubs Fans Everywhere

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast