How do you rig Hula Grubs?

Been using the Yamamoto 5” Hula Grub but having a hard time getting them rigged. I’m wanting use a wobble head or swing jig head like the Biffle Bug head. I’ve got the Strike King version and have been using a 1/0 Trokar EWG. The hook is actually to big as the body, not including the tails so it’s hard to bury the hook point in the bait. So how do you guys rig them? I’d like to Texas rig then as well as an exposed hook point is not really an option due to the cover in the waters I fish.

2. Member
    At one time I used a rocker jig with an offset hook that allowed weedless rigging of a hula grub, unfortunately I haven't found any in a couple of years. Now I usually just use a small football jig.

I almost exclusively rig them on a football head with an exposed hook and fiber weed guard, and drag them on rocky points. That's not to say they can't be fished in a number of other ways. I have on occasion T-rigged them on a 2/0 or 3/0 EWG and pitched them around cover on the bank and they also make a good C-rig presentation. Lose a skirt on a jig...just slip a Hula Grub on the jighead and you're back in business.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

4. Member
    Such a deadly bait , Texas rig for me.

Thanks guys. Some good ideas to try.

6. Member
    Throw mine on an army u-bolt Shakey head. 1/16 and 1/8

7. Member
    Almost always on a Football jig
    Red Sox in 6!

I primarily use a Kalin Spot Stalker. I also use the Keitech Model 1 or 2 jig head.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SoonerFan View Post
    I almost exclusively rig them on a football head with an exposed hook and fiber weed guard, and drag them on rocky points. That's not to say they can't be fished in a number of other ways. I have on occasion T-rigged them on a 2/0 or 3/0 EWG and pitched them around cover on the bank and they also make a good C-rig presentation. Lose a skirt on a jig...just slip a Hula Grub on the jighead and you're back in business.
    Exactly. Originally, years ago, I would buy Yamamoto football heads, powder paint, drill hole, and epoxy fiber weedguards in. Worked great. Now, there are several brands on market like mine that work good. I truly believe in real clear water they outfish skirted jigs big time.

4D49BD4C-C6F7-4A08-8F9C-5C1FAC48C01C.jpeg
    These are the jigheads that I’ve used for years. They are great for really stirring it up on a bottom with chunk rocks scattered around. Drag it until the baits is hung on a rock and the when you pop it off, hang on because that’s when they usually hit it.

I bought a bunch of them from Bassdozer when he was still business. I’m down to my last 10 or 12 so I’m careful with them now and use conventional shaped football heads more.

Rootbeer w/ green flake is my go to.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

11. Member
    I like a 2/0 ewg texas rigged.

12. Member
    I use a football head without a weedguard for open water rocks or a light brush jig head for pitching them into cover. super awesome bait.

13. Member
    Tough to beat a football head for a spider grub. I don't know how well it'd work on a swinghead, would think the spider part would get in the way of the movement. If you use the Mustad fasttach heads you can use whatever hook you want though.

14. Member
    as a jig trailer....
    A goal without a plan is just a dream.

15. Member
    I use the Arkie twin tail grubs on the biffle heads and they fit perfect. That and a Zoom Z Craw are my go to's on the wobble head.

https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Arki...e-ARKGRUB.html

I've got some old GYBs that started out as clear with silver flakes. They are close to 20 years old and the plastic has yellowed into a gold color with the silver flakes still silver. I will rig them weedless on a EWG and run them weightless over submerged grass and KA BANG.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.