Banned

So is it the motor/prop spinning...or turning that spooks fish?

So I finally found some clear water for prolly the first time since i had my boat. Trying to do some sightfishing...while wading through a sea of carp.

A little thing I noticed is it doesnt seem like the hum of the trolling motor really spooked the carp, but when I would turn/move the head they would insta-bolt! I was even getting right on top of the carp as long as i didnt mess with the heads direction....but if I turned theyd dart for 5 or so feet around.

Always considered getting the GForce Nut. But im second guessing that. I think the nut is for the motor hum, and I really dont think thats the issue. I think its the movement/change in direction. What do you all think? super shot in the dark....is there anyway to quite the turning sound? I have a Powerdrive with iPilot and can use the remote only.

2. Member
    It’s intermittent noises that spook the fish. Turning the motor will create an intermittent noise, and so will getting on and off the momentary switch. I used to do a good amount of daylight bowfishing for carp, and even hitting the momentary switch when the prop was barely turning would spook them. My solution was to set the trolling motor to an incredibly slow speed and when I saw a fish within range I’d try to shoot without turning off the motor, but if I didn’t yet have a clear shot, I’d kill the motor but not turn it back on until I shot. It was an electric steer model and I’d pop it up so the shaft collar wasn’t engaged and turn it by hand.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dmc575 View Post
    Always considered getting the GForce Nut. But im second guessing that. I think the nut is for the motor hum, and I really dont think thats the issue.
    Just a heads up but those nuts don’t do a thing for noise, vibration etc. Pure snake oil.

4. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerus View Post
    Just a heads up but those nuts don’t do a thing for noise, vibration etc. Pure snake oil.
    I think we differ on some opinions...but I think I'll agree especially after that great post from PT! makes perfect sense cuz I was getting RIGHT ON THEM as long as I didnt turn! So...is TH Marine in for the long con? Now I gotta buy a hydrowave?! LOL I need to buy a couple graphs before I even think of that. Prolly not a bad idea if your saturating a cove tho!

Quote Originally Posted by piketroller View Post
    It’s intermittent noises that spook the fish. Turning the motor will create an intermittent noise, and so will getting on and off the momentary switch. I used to do a good amount of daylight bowfishing for carp, and even hitting the momentary switch when the prop was barely turning would spook them. My solution was to set the trolling motor to an incredibly slow speed and when I saw a fish within range I’d try to shoot without turning off the motor, but if I didn’t yet have a clear shot, I’d kill the motor but not turn it back on until I shot. It was an electric steer model and I’d pop it up so the shaft collar wasn’t engaged and turn it by hand.
    that makes 100% sense...cuz the motor makes noise any way you slice it. Great observation and point I hadnt even considered! Cant do nothing for that sadly!