Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    the 2019 merc 4s 250 on the nitro i have is the real deal. from hole shot to faster than i can drive it. i never thought i would own a 4S. I think i need to raise the jackplate to cut down the chine walk. very easy to over trim.

Mine drives straight with almost no input. 72+. There is no over trimming a Z20/21 with a Merc. I did some balancing to shift weight further back when I am by myself, it drives smooth. I occasionally need to correct some very mild chine walk. My wife and I last weekend were running 70.5 to 69.8 all day in the 90+ degree heat.
    Last edited by BMCD; 06-05-2019 at 09:20 AM.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

3. Member
    i have a z20. i should have left the handling comment alone on this thread.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bk626 View Post
    4S oil is changed every 100 hours or once a year per the manual. That to me is pretty good!
    ok. Has nothing to do with my comment you quoted?.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by I fish 4 Bass View Post
    ok. Has nothing to do with my comment you quoted?.
    Sorry I thought you were stating that the 4S is an improvement on oil consumption since it takes a long time to go through a gallon of oil with your 2 stroke. I was just saying I think 100 hours is more than an improvement.

6. Member
    I have been amazed with my 4s. My Z21 will run 74mph with just myself and loaded. It has 8 ft blades 4 group 31 batteries and a atlas hyd. 71mph loaded full of fuel and 2 people and gear. It's faster, quicker and rides at ton better than my Z20 with the 250 2s. Best over all boat I have ever been in and I have ran about everything. Getting parts for the 2s is gonna be a concern. I needed a lower unit last fall and it took 7 weeks to get one from Mercury bc they had cut down production.

7. Member
    have you changed your oil and filter yet? Not sure of your reference to buying oil all the time...takes a lot of running to use a gallon on the 250 pro xs 2S, they are very efficient. Agree that the 4S is an improvement, but that not to say you’re buying oil All the time

I wouldn't say a 250 optimax is easy on oil I went through 9 gallons last summer and was an average fishing year of 6 months lol

Quote Originally Posted by Wisfarmer View Post
    I wouldn't say a 250 optimax is easy on oil I went through 9 gallons last summer and was an average fishing year of 6 months lol
    i have pumped 4 gallons already sigh, 5th is in the garage going to get dropped in next time out. (North Dakota)
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

Depends on how you run the opti, at Full throttle its not easy on oil. pull it back and its does a lot better on oil and Gas.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

Everyone loves a 4 stroke till the warranty is over and the needs a repair.
    Joe Galada - Tamaqua, PA
    2004 Ranger 521VX - Yamaha 250 SHO

I kinda went through the same thing but with a different brand, which is irrelevant. I had to have an Ultrex and at least two HDS 9 Carbons. Boats with a 2 stroke and all that stuff were almost as much as new. Or, they didn’t have it so by the time I upgraded I was in the same situation. Once I went old enough to get a price drop, the I didn’t like to boat. And I really did want the fourstroke anywa.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

Quote Originally Posted by 12many View Post
    my opti must have been a pig because my 4stroke getting way better mpgs.
    Me too.
    Craig
    USMC Retired
    2019 Nitro Z18 w/Dual Consoles
    2019 Mercury 175 Pro XS

Psalm 29:3 The voice of the Lord is upon the waters: the God of glory thundereth: the Lord is upon many waters.

have you changed your oil and filter yet? Not sure of your reference to buying oil all the time...takes a lot of running to use a gallon on the 250 pro xs 2S, they are very efficient. Agree that the 4S is an improvement, but that not to say you’re buying oil All the time
    "all the time" is relative. I currently have a 150 Opti and buying and adding oil for it is a hassle I'll be glad to do away with.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12