Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Indiana Bass Club Moderator billius's Avatar
    I'm not sure I've ever fished on a holiday weekend other when I was a kid spending those weekends at my Uncle's lake cottage.
    Bill Gard
    Richmond, Indiana
    2015 BassCat Caracal/225ProXs
    TEAM SHERM'S MARINE
    Of course I talk to myself...sometimes I need expert advice.

2. Member
    I fight traffic and highway nonsense everyday to and from work, I have absolutely zero interest for being on the water during holiday weekends

3. Member
    Funny, when most of us were younger (for sure I was) and had ANY free time we were on the water. I didn’t care what day it was. Now that most of us are a little older and wiser we pick and choose what days to go. I’d bet a bunch are like me and come up with all kinds of reasons they should stay home and do something else. We didn’t have time wasters like FB & BBC back then.

To be honest I’ve seen more boats on the water on a typical weekday than there was yesterday. The big cruisers and water tractors came out about noon. We stayed until 2. The only reason we left was because I quit catching fish about 11...maybe one here and there? When I was younger I’d be out before day light and come home after dark.

Make sure and remember our fallen this weekend. Some of my best days on the water have come when everyone else “stays home”.

4. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    A friend put me onto something a few years ago. If the weather is really good for a holiday weekend and you just can’t stand it at home, wait until Monday [the observed day]. The party people start on Friday at the latest, and by Monday they are so hung over and pooped that they can barely crawl out of bed before 2 p.m. And even then, their “grin and wave” boat is out of gas or busted, so the water is pretty much open. One exception is Memorial Day weekend. Because it takes them most of the weekend to get the boat started for their first voyage of the year, they might still have some gas in the tank come Monday.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jc2bg View Post
    A friend put me onto something a few years ago. If the weather is really good for a holiday weekend and you just can’t stand it at home, wait until Monday [the observed day]. The party people start on Friday at the latest, and by Monday they are so hung over and pooped that they can barely crawl out of bed before 2 p.m. And even then, their “grin and wave” boat is out of gas or busted, so the water is pretty much open. One exception is Memorial Day weekend. Because it takes them most of the weekend to get the boat started for their first voyage of the year, they might still have some gas in the tank come Monday.

21 XD 225 Merc

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by keeferfish View Post
    That’s no way to live, I decided long ago when I’m pissed off no one else gives a crap so why ruin my own day.
    Oh my wife gives a crap...she will be more pissed and have to hear her bitch and that will piss me off more
    2020 Skeeter ZX150

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jc2bg View Post
    I've fished the last 20 or so Memorial Days on Sandusky Bay and just about have the whole bay to myself until about 1 pm or so. Even then the pleasure boat traffic is pretty light.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by keeferfish View Post
    That’s no way to live, I decided long ago when I’m pissed off no one else gives a crap so why ruin my own day.
    Good advice.

9. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    I just change where I fish. Today I fished a small chain of lakes and caught so many! I stopped counting before 7:30 this morning! It was a topwater bite and I literally caught a fish every 3rd cast for a couple hours. They were small, tiny-2 pounds but then I went to look for bigger fish. I never found them, but caught a couple nice 3.5 pounders, and a lot of 2 pounders. I caught fish on 7 of my 8 rods and had a great morning!

I won’t go to any of the more popular lakes around my area, and since it was 92 at noon, I was done for the day! Boats charging up, and I’ll see if I can get out tomorrow or Monday.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

Trolling motor only lakes if I fish on the holidays.
    1993 Champion 190
    1991 Evinrude Intruder 150

11. Member
    Don't go out on Lake of The Ozarks on holiday weekends. Non holiday weekends I will go if I feel like it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12